Best away day in the Championship.

Best Championship away day  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't vote for Dunfermline obviously although many fans of other clubs seem to like the town, the view in the Cowdenbeath end and the bridies.

I went for Ayr first - nice drive down, nice town for a wee bite to eat before and/or after and it has the advantage of being near the in-laws so I can kill two birds with one stone and pop in, drop the missus and the bairn off then head to the ground. Like standing in the open terrace or behind the goals when there's a decent crowd in, and the new stand looks decent. Toilets the only downside really. They're grim. 

Arbroath second, but it could have been top. Stand is a bit rubbish and we once got turfed out by home fans in the second half back in the days when you could change ends. Nice terrace although it was better when we got to change ends, and the steak and black pudding pies are excellent. It's only the parking and the drive back down the road which sees Ayr pip it to the post. 

Other quality away days are Raith, Morton (except if you get stuck in the old stand) and Partick (also except if you get stuck in the old stand). Easy to get to, easy to get parked, places to eat/drink and usually a decent atmosphere. 

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Toilets the only downside really. They're grim. 

You'll be glad to know that this should be rectified with the new north stand. As long as we keep giving a portion of the terracing there to away fans (which I expect we will).

The other corner of the away end has actually been earmarked for a new office / gym building in the next couple years - so can see an new away end toilet block possibly being a priority there also.

Arbroath, easily. Nothing comes close. I like the Fife away days, long trip without being too long - decent boozers in the towns as well. Tannadice is also underrated as a stadium and Dundee is great for a day out. Inverness is always something I look forward to, but mostly because we tend to try and make a weekend out of at least one of the trips up there.

Edited by AUcal

Arbroath is top - easy train trip, decent pubs, decent chippies, excellent pies and a proper old school ground.

Tannadice next for me - only let down by the admission cost.

There's always a decent atmosphere at East End when we play there and it probably has the best view, but not sure what it's like on non-derby days.

Based mostly on this season alone

Arbroath - won 2-1 , great evening out

Ayr - won 2-1 , great day out

Dundee United - Won 1-0 , great day out

Dunfermline - Won 3 games in a row , great steak bridies , close to home , great day out

Morton - saw us lose to Clydebank there once, always raining , still won 2-1 , good evening out

Partick - Came back from 2-0 to draw , great day out. 

Inverness - I’ve never been but we did win 2-1 so it sounds like a great day out. 
Queens Park - won 3-2 with 10 men after losing 2-1 at 89 minutes, great day out

Airdrie - lost 1-0 twice, would not recommend. 

Edited by mrpaddyx

Arbroath definitely my fave.

Then Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.

Also have a soft spot for Caley - it’s only 30 mins drive away for me from Beauly and there’s something a bit hypnotic about the A9 cars moving behind the pitch. 

Edited by Highland Exile

Airdrie - can be a decent atmosphere at times but the stadium is shite.

Arbroath - easy drive or train trip to the ground, great stadium, usually a decent atmosphere, great food. Easily the best.

Dundee Utd - only been to Tannadice once before, it was ok.

Dunfermline - has bridies, decent view, good facilities, convenient parking right by the ground, always enjoy going.

Morton - I like Cappielow, proper old fashioned ground but when we're in the stand the legroom is awful and you don't have much choice if its a smaller away support or the weather's poor. Much better when we were in the terracing but still good.

ICT - it's ok. the fact I don't have much to say about this or Tannadice means they'll both be towards the bottom of the rankings, might be better if you made a weekend of it though which I've never done before.

Partick - always a good atmosphere, but has the same legroom problems as Morton and the view is quite poor.

Queens Park (hampden) - excellent facilities, great view, can sit in the fancy seats with padding if you want, extortionate prices though.

Raith - probably an unpopular opinion but I really like Starks Park, good food and atmosphere.

Final rankings:

Arbroath

Morton

Raith

Queens Park

Dunfermline

Partick

Dundee United

Inverness 

Airdrie 

Arbroath - terrible as we’ve been pumped every time I’ve been. Tutties Neuk and the pies save it though.

Ayr - only been once but I liked the ground even though we got beat.

Dundee United - Also only been once but a great place to watch football. However, that hill coming up from the train station is a human rights violation.

Dunfermline - Pish as we never win and the Bridies are overrated.

Inverness - been once, we were terrible then we got back to the bus after the game and it wouldn’t start. The team bus ended up leaving before us. Not good

Morton - Been once, we won and a great day overall. Even though we did get drenched behind the goal.

Partick - Always good until the game, I’ve still never seen us win there.

Raith - only been once when we were both in league 1. We should’ve won but Greg Aitken put in easily the worst refereeing performance of all time, sending off 3 players and 2 managers as well as somehow missing Benedictus make a double handed save on the line. Refuse to go back.

Queens park - love a trip to the southside, a last minute winner as well this season. Superb.

Rankings:

1. Queens Park

2. Dundee united

3. Partick

4. Morton

5. Arbroath

6. Ayr

7. Inverness

8. Raith

9. Dunfermline

Airdrie - Not a fan of it as an away day (not just because we’ve lost twice) Stadium is obviously an IKEA flat pack job which is meh but like Livingston it’s far too big for the club (I blame SPL 10K rule).  Away stand also suffers with the sun in your eyes for first 1/4.  

Arbroath - Always a good away day, some decent boozers without the usual chain pubs. Stadium is pretty good and weather usually pish.  Pies are also good.  

Ayr - love the classic old school ground but the toilets are pretty awful.  Love to see it with a bigger crowd but it’s usually pretty empty.  

Dundee United - Shed was really good (helped it was full and we won) thought the toilets and catering was in need of some investment.  Dundee is always a decent place for an away day.  

Dunfermline - Different for us than other clubs as it’s obviously a derby.  Decent stand with a good view, easy enough to get through or park  Bridies have sadly gone downhill in recent years, used to be great. The intimating 12 year olds at the bus station are truly terrifying.  

Inverness - Only been once and surprisingly we lost.  Stand was decent enough although surprisingly seemed to be a temporary Stand.  Long trip but decent enough.  

Morton - unless you’re in the WDE it’s a shocking place to visit for anyone over 5’ tall.  Rest of the ground looks decent enough wee bar next door was alright.  

Partick - Day out in Glasgow is always decent, Thistle fans always seem friendly enough.  Main Stand is OK although might be the smallest toilet I’ve seen at a football stadium.  

Queens park - As above Glasgow is decent to visit but Hampden with sub 2000 is absolutely soulless.  A decent Lesser Hampden would so much better but QPFC board seems to have made an absolute mess of it.

Rankings:

1. Arbroath 

2. Dunfermline

3. Dundee Utd

4. Ayr

5. Partick Thistle 

6. Inverness

7. Queens Park

8. Airdrie

9. Morton

Haven't been to Dunfermline, ICT, Arbroath or Raith yet so can't really comment on them. But Arbroath sounds like it could be worth a trip. Maybe one day...

Might have gone for QP, I do actually quite enjoy the novelty of an almost empty Hampden stadium. But as a regular at Scotland games, it feels kind of like a home from home. So not sure it counts. 

Partick? only has 3 stands, which is shit. 

Dundee Utd is alright, I guess. But I stayed in Dundee for a while, & tbh I'm not really that keen on going back there.

Airdrie I actually quite enjoyed. Mainly due to the trip to the Time Capsule before it (which my kids loved) & a win, which always helps. 

Despite the fact it always seems to be pishing down, mainly due to the proper old fashioned stadium, i have to grudgingly say Morton.

Arbroath the best for me by some distance. Station on main line, good pubs, terracing, Pleasureland. I don't even like smokies but still top place.

Ayr is a good away day in all but of the old grounds I've never really like Somerset Park as an away fan. Behind the goal there can be a decent atmosphere but you're too low down to actually see the game, and if you go round to the side terracing and get better elevation, you can't see the whole pitch and you lose the atmosphere without the roof.

Morton was better when they put us at the end of the Cowshed but still above average overall apart from whenever it's raining, which is often.

Tannadice is decent, think over the years I've been in every part of it apart from the stand opposite the TV cameras. Dundee in general a good trip if only one of the teams is in the league, 4 times a season is too many. Only ever seen us win there once though.

Dunfermline and Raith much of a muchness. Probably not helped this season by our fixtures being Raith away then Dunfermline away the next week in December and vice versa in April.

QP- can't obviously complain about the view at Hampden for these games and plenty of decent pubs nearby but being in a 5% full stadium is grim. Yet somehow it seems it'll be better than whatever they're knocking up across the road.

Airdrie- probably not as bad as being made out but it is a bit away from the centre and it's not great for atmosphere either.

ICT- bottom position. Shite view from behind the goal, freezing even in the height of summer, miles from the centre. Journey home feels like about nine days if you lose no matter how drunk you are. Can't imagine doing it as a sober trip just to see a game, only has to be tackled as a full day out.

Edited by Fuctifano

20 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Arbroath, Ayr, Dundee United, Hampden and Firhill are probably comfortably the top 5. I actually think Tannadice might be under-rated based on this thread so far - some cracking pubs that are well-priced, near the ground and a decent away end. Only thing that spoils it is the price to get in. I like most of the grounds as an away day in this league actually. The Caley Stadium is easily the worst although Inverness itself is good for a weekend away so if you can manage or afford that you're still onto a winner. New Broomfield is objectively a terrible place to watch football but I do think some of the pubs are probably unknown/under-rated for away day purposes. West End Bar (unless you Tweet about wanting a square-go), Cue Here and The Albert are all grand places for a pint and aren't that far from the ground. 

At least at Tannadice you can see the game for your £25.  I paid £22 at Ayr last week and couldn’t see a fecking thing past halfway.  

Arbroath by a million miles. Length of journey perfect for a decent drink, the pub/bowling club when you get there, the stadium, the backdrop, the steak and black pudding pies and the locals are pretty sound.

Ayr in second. Love Somerset Park and a generally good day out.

Only ones I don’t really enjoy are Airdrie and Morton. 

I’m coming at it from a slightly different perspective to some. As a driver and having a young teenager who gets dragged to games rather than willingly going he isn’t a fan of the terracing and having my dad with us (he is 75) so we are in the stand most games if the option is there. I few of these are close in terms of rating so rather than a league table I thought I would go marks out of 10. 

Dunfermline - Decent crowd size for the stadium, I like the seats behind the goals and there is usually a good atmosphere most times we are there. Perhaps in the minority but I always enjoy a trip here and last season it felt great to have that “big match feel again”. Food is good too. Can’t fault it. 10/10

Arbroath - Unfortunately not a 10/10 but only because we need to be in the stand (by choice) and it’s not much of an atmosphere from there but 100% a great wee ground, a decent drive and food is quality. 9/10 based on where we sit rather than it being any sort of issue. 

Ayr - If you asked me during our last stint in the same division as Ayr it would be close to a 10. Only 1 visit in recent seasons for myself but I personally loved the needle we have had in games over the years, a decent atmosphere usually and I tended to enjoy behind the goals. That could change if we get to go more in the next few seasons but for now I’m living off nostalgia and saying 7/10. 

Raith Rovers - Good hunting ground for us this season, again I personally love the stand behind the goals my only issue is Raith fans being behind the other goals. Can’t hear a peep from them most of the game and no doubts they will feel similar with us. A decent venue but don’t get much of a buzz from the game 7/10

Greenock Morton - I love being outside in the good weather and we can get the best of both worlds with it being terracing like but the auld man and the wee man both can sit. Would be higher if it wasn’t for the uncomfortable seating when we are in the stand 7/10

Dundee Utd - I liked the day out behind the goals and the atmosphere was good, parking was dreadful and I just don’t think the prices are good enough to get us back time and time again should the opportunity arise. A great one off at the start of the season but just doesn’t excite me 6/10

Partick - A slight repeat here to Ayr going on nostalgia reasons I loved trips to firhill and would rate it higher based on the past. I didn’t make the game earlier in the season though so I can’t comment on it on recent times but it still shits all over the grounds below 6/10

Airdrie - Nothing wrong with the stadium in terms of quality standard to me personally but it’s absolutely soulless and wasted on a club our size. It’s good to see large travelling supports now and then but other than the fact it’s a decent seat to watch the game it sadly offers nothing what so ever to average punter. Logistics wise it’s not an issue to me as even as a travelling fan I wouldn’t be hitting the pubs. The walk is about 15/20 mins from the town centre and I get the grumblings from fans that having to head there beforehand isn’t ideal  4/10

ICT - Hate the drive, hate the ground it just doesn’t offer much to me at all. Make an effort to go once a season but that’s about it. This and Tannadice being the only grounds I wouldn’t attend twice a season through choice rather than being busy 4/10

Queens Park - 1000 People in the national stadium. It’s even more soulless than us, food is pish and charged at international football prices. Just a complete lack of enthusiasm for going here but go as it’s not far. 1/10

Edited by diamond_for_life
Changing the walk time to our ground

Arbroath is probably the best. Decent wee ground and a decent set of boozers on route. Downside for me is I haven't lasted long enough at the games to say how good that experience is. 

Ayr away is Decent again plenty and decent pubs on route and the old ground I enjoy too. 

Dundee United although pricey to get into it is a great away day. The train station isn't close but it's a great pub crawl on the way as we did recently. One of the best.

Raith I like the atmosphere and view with it being a derby but can honestly say Its a bit meh for me pre and post match.

Inverness great place for a drink which is why I do it over a weekend opposed to a day. Inverness itself great but the ground being miles away and nothing round about but still one of the more enjoyable away days. Not a bad stand for viewing.

partick. Old stand is crap but I enjoy a trip there despite the results not being great. Good few pubs. One of the better away days. Kebab pies though 😍

queens park. Great day out with plenty pubs to choose from. Tend to stick to the similar route we do for Scotland matches which is why I enjoy it. Inside an empty Hampden though scores it a bit down.

Dunfermline. Obviously my home team so can't score as an away day but the fact it has 2 train stations fairly close to the ground and to me the city centre has plenty boozers I would imagine a decent day out. Decent ground and decent food by all accounts.

Morton I haven't been to in years and from what I remember, apart from the league winning game, the weather is terrible usually and I remember 1 dump of a pub we were in. Nothing else really sticks out so it's low down on the list. Plus the main stand is terrible to be in.

Airdrie. Never been so can't comment

Travel to all games by train and all are accessible with easy so can't complain on that front

Arbroath

Ayr

Dundee United

Partick

Inverness

Queens park

Raith

Morton

Airdrie 

Arbroath obviously for the reasons stated above. Outstanding and even better from my end as the train down from Aberdeen is stunning.

Good shouts for Dundee Utd for the aforementioned pubs and it's a cracking stadium. I've only bad memories there though so Ayr gets 2nd place for me.

Same with Morton. It might be great for others but each time I've been there it's rained and we've got beat. Rubbish.

Airdrie. Shite town, disagreeable fans and an ugly stadium. Not my favourite.