On 27/04/2024 at 23:06, HibeeJibee said:

image.thumb.png.ac93371701faf22023bdaeb0d458f32f.png

image.png.ca3deda1c7dd81b528cf7ee89abd7aaa.png
image.png.d775746e3a1b0d9ffb98e5a93ef8a0c4.png
image.png.0a1217a793eaea0fddd267c3953236fc.png

It was 60yrs ago this month Rangers proposed expelling 5 small clubs from SFL.

In a famous legal action they resisted led by solicitor Robert Turpie.

Who were those 5 clubs?

Stenhousemuir; Berwick Rangers (now relegated from SPFL); Brechin City (now relegated from SPFL); Albion Rovers (now relegated from SPFL)...

...and Stranraer 😬.

You forgot the most important part of that incident.....rangers are a dead club and completely irrelevant. All other clubs have illustrious history's.

19 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Just like the Irish boat, league football will leave Stranraer for good.

Hello non league.

You are likely to be spot on with that prediction. Attracting players good enough to get promoted back will be incredibly difficult. The one attractive thing we have over Lowland teams is SPFL football. Without that why would a good Lowland-quality player choose to play for us over any central-belt team? We arent going to pay more. 

If we drop this year i can't see us ever coming back, sadly.

1 hour ago, MrFizz said:

You are likely to be spot on with that prediction. Attracting players good enough to get promoted back will be incredibly difficult. The one attractive thing we have over Lowland teams is SPFL football. Without that why would a good Lowland-quality player choose to play for us over any central-belt team? We arent going to pay more. 

If we drop this year i can't see us ever coming back, sadly.

Do Stranraer have much in the way of commercial income? I'm guessing that as the main town for quite a large area there must be a fair number of genuinely local businesses that would be interested in supporting their local club. If average attendances on their own are a sign of the club's financial strength then you're right, you wouldn't only struggle to compete with other Lowland League clubs, you'd be up against West of Scotland clubs too. 

6 hours ago, greendot said:

You forgot the most important part of that incident.....rangers are a dead club and completely irrelevant. All other clubs have illustrious history's.

We can get enough of that stuff in our daily lives without Brechin fans jump-starting it on here. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Do Stranraer have much in the way of commercial income? I'm guessing that as the main town for quite a large area there must be a fair number of genuinely local businesses that would be interested in supporting their local club. If average attendances on their own are a sign of the club's financial strength then you're right, you wouldn't only struggle to compete with other Lowland League clubs, you'd be up against West of Scotland clubs too. 

Commercial income i'm not sure of. Long term relationship with Stena Line, McLeans Taxis are local. Don't know the sums involved. I would hope both would stay with us, but you never know.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Nowhere near that of the clubs we’re competing with.

Not a great deal of wealth in the area, not many businesses with the money to throw at us either. 

Not uncommon for teams in our league to have a business pay a players wages for the season. Unfortunately we’re not that lucky. 

On 28/04/2024 at 15:33, PossilYM said:

Just like the Irish boat, league football will leave Stranraer for good.

Hello non league.

What Irish boat? 

They sailed to Larne or Belfast in Northern Ireland and do not remember any of them being registered to Ireland. 

Poor attempt. Your point about league football is fair. 

8 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Nowhere near that of the clubs we’re competing with.

Not a great deal of wealth in the area, not many businesses with the money to throw at us either. 

Not uncommon for teams in our league to have a business pay a players wages for the season. Unfortunately we’re not that lucky. 

Ah that's a shame. I'd hoped that, being quite far from other centres of population, there might be supportive and locally-owned agricultural services companies, engineering firms, transport, financial services, that kind of thing. If you do come down that'll mean EK aren't in the league and there will be a lot of clubs around the same level. At least half the league could start the season with a hope of winning it.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

What Irish boat? 

They sailed to Larne or Belfast in Northern Ireland and do not remember any of them being registered to Ireland. 

Is Larne or Belfast not Irish?

Not too sure where ships are registered. Always thought it was somewhere offshore. Suppose you could Google it. Kinda like a trick question, like where does a team like Stranraer train midweek? Suppose it depends, say if 8 of your regular players came from the Glasgow area, maybe best they trained in Glasgow midweek.

8 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Is Larne or Belfast not Irish?

Not too sure where ships are registered. Always thought it was somewhere offshore. Suppose you could Google it. Kinda like a trick question, like where does a team like Stranraer train midweek? Suppose it depends, say if 8 of your regular players came from the Glasgow area, maybe best they trained in Glasgow midweek.

What the f**k are you on about man :lol:

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

What Irish boat? 

Big team found 😀

Apologies for the source, but this popped up on my phone today; I'd forgotten that Buckie got pumped by Celt or gers in the cup this season, but knowing the bloody SFA they won't have taken that into account like they should  :angry:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12566264/buckie-thistle-celtic-cup-play-off-football-bill-leckie/

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Apologies for the source, but this popped up on my phone today; I'd forgotten that Buckie got pumped by Celt or gers in the cup this season, but knowing the bloody SFA they won't have taken that into account like they should  :angry:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/12566264/buckie-thistle-celtic-cup-play-off-football-bill-leckie/

Has this chvnt been blackballed from a bowling green as it's not his first time making this remark , all the bowling greens I know are run by well meaning competent people

Fkn bellend 

4 minutes ago, skiblue said:

Maybe that bloke from KLF could lend a few bob to the Stranraer funds

Ah just seen he's a QoS supporter 🤣

I have a feeling with the suitation arisen Edinburgh City or FC Edinburgh whatever they are called these days and their points deducted and relegation from Scottish league one would they save Stranrear, Clyde, Bonnyrigg and give Ek promotion which would throw in that scenario given the buckie thistle debate of not having bronze status you wouldn't bet on it but it's just been one those seasons where they save everyone given their suitation and their bleak future giving kids a game in league one.

20 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

I have a feeling with the suitation arisen Edinburgh City or FC Edinburgh whatever they are called these days and their points deducted and relegation from Scottish league one would they save Stranrear, Clyde, Bonnyrigg and give Ek promotion which would throw in that scenario given the buckie thistle debate of not having bronze status you wouldn't bet on it but it's just been one those seasons where they save everyone given their suitation and their bleak future giving kids a game in league one.

I believe we've paid off the debts. 

Just because you beat us 13-2 in 1937 doesn't mean you can ask for us to be thrown out the League. Now there are other failed franchises beginning with L clubs that you could have a pop at. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Dunno if this has been posted, but what exactly did Albion Rovers, Berwick, Brechin, Stenny, and Stranraer do to upset (The) Rangers anyway?

Rangers wanted 2 divisions of 16 back as had operated until 1955 (when C Division was abolished and a Scottish Reserve League began).

To get around supermajorities they proposed winding-up SFL then immediately forming a new league with 5 'smallest' clubs excluded (not bottom 5 clubs: they'd actually finished 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th out of 19 in 1963-64).

At a secret meeting of 'the 32' threats were made to 10 more - Alloa, Arbroath, Ayr, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, East Fife, Montrose, Queen's Park, Raith and Stirling Albion - that some of them might find themself 'swapped' for the 5 if voted against.

28th April 1964                                                            20th May 1964                              26th May 1964
1964042801.jpg           
image.thumb.png.6dd54e52b1dee2cdddf523d45f934d69.png         1964052601.jpgimage.thumb.png.0d183bc76fa5b86fe2179417d6926bc7.pngimage.png.71a57582dcf73d952706b1219648fa29.png

The press sided with Rangers in their illogical attempts at bullying | borussiabeefburg (wordpress.com)

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Rangers wanted 2 divisions of 16 back as had operated until 1955 (when C Division was abolished and a Scottish Reserve League began).

To get around supermajorities they proposed winding-up SFL then immediately forming a new league with 5 'smallest' clubs excluded (not bottom 5 clubs: they'd actually finished 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th out of 19 in 1963-64).

At a secret meeting of 'the 32' threats were made to 10 more - Alloa, Arbroath, Ayr, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, East Fife, Montrose, Queen's Park, Raith and Stirling Albion - that some of them might find themself 'swapped' for the 5 if voted against.

They have loftier ambitions now, and would settle for 1 division of 2.