9 hours ago, Pedro Cabeza said:

I'd rather watch a game at Victoria Park where there is a real atmosphere than that excuse for a ground at Meadowbank.

It would have been easy for the SpeeFL to let the games go ahead then if Buckie won give them the guidance to get their 

ground up to scratch before the season started. When I compare Bonnyrigg's ground with Buckie's, I wonder what the

criteria is.

If you really do wonder what the criteria are then it's not too difficult to find out. There's plenty more to licensing than bricks and mortar though.

9 hours ago, Pedro Cabeza said:

I'd rather watch a game at Victoria Park where there is a real atmosphere than that excuse for a ground at Meadowbank.

It would have been easy for the SpeeFL to let the games go ahead then if Buckie won give them the guidance to get their 

ground up to scratch before the season started. When I compare Bonnyrigg's ground with Buckie's, I wonder what the

criteria is.

^^^^^^

This 

18 hours ago, Pedro Cabeza said:

criteria is.

K Park hardly stands out as a ground as well. 

I'd say it's only slightly better than Meadowbank. 

On 26/04/2024 at 11:54, HibeeJibee said:

In a wild case of "hold my beer", the Brechin chairman's out-doing how badly Buckie and SFA/SPFL emerge from this by attacking Highland League for... letting Buckie play Strathspey twice and on time:

Back today...

Brechin City say Highland League should be represented in play-off (pressandjournal.co.uk)

Brechin City chairman Kevin Mackie believes a Breedon Highland League representative should have been put forward for the pyramid play-offs after champions Buckie Thistle were deemed ineligible to participate.

Mackie also thinks the licensing issue creates an uneven playing field between clubs who wish to be promoted, thus having to spend money to secure a bronze licence, and those who don’t want to go up.

He said: “We were told if you want to be compliant for promotion you need to spend the money to get the bronze licence. “We’ve done that and everything is with the SFA to be processed, we’ve done everything to have the bronze licence.

“The issue I have is that we’re now in a situation where if you decide you don’t want to go up you can spend your money on better players and not bother being compliant with bronze. “Whereas, clubs who do want to move up have to use more of their resources attaining the bronze licence. “The way it is there’s a bias which helps teams who don’t want to get promoted because they can devote their resources into their squad and don’t need to spend money on achieving the standards required for promotion.

“In the Lowland League Hearts B and Celtic B can’t go forward for the play-offs even if they finish top of the league. “What’s the point in having a pyramid system if your league then doesn’t have a representative in the play-offs?

“The Highland League needs to look at it, we’ve done everything we can to tick all the boxes and if you’ve got aspirations to get out of the league then you should have a chance. “There has to be something in place so that somebody from the Highland League represents the Highland League in the pyramid play-offs. “There’s no point in playing all season for nobody to be rewarded with the chance to go into the play-offs.

“We want to try to get up and I think if the criteria for promotion isn’t met by the champion then the league should put forward a team for the play-offs that does meet the criteria. “I think the league should have been looking at what they could do or what might happen if the champion club wasn’t eligible because it makes a mockery of the league and the pyramid.”

The Highland League have been contacted for a response.

image.thumb.png.ac93371701faf22023bdaeb0d458f32f.png

image.png.ca3deda1c7dd81b528cf7ee89abd7aaa.png
image.png.d775746e3a1b0d9ffb98e5a93ef8a0c4.png
image.png.0a1217a793eaea0fddd267c3953236fc.png

It was 60yrs ago this month Rangers proposed expelling 5 small clubs from SFL.

In a famous legal action they resisted led by solicitor Robert Turpie.

Who were those 5 clubs?

Stenhousemuir; Berwick Rangers (now relegated from SPFL); Brechin City (now relegated from SPFL); Albion Rovers (now relegated from SPFL)...

...and Stranraer 😬.

Both Stenny and Elgin on a bizarre run of draws; neither club with anything to play for.

If Clyde can play out a goalless draw, they'll likely be safe. Stranraer would need to put at least three past the champions and they've scored fewer goals than Edinburgh City. It's not looking good.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Back today...

Brechin City say Highland League should be represented in play-off (pressandjournal.co.uk)

Brechin City chairman Kevin Mackie believes a Breedon Highland League representative should have been put forward for the pyramid play-offs after champions Buckie Thistle were deemed ineligible to participate.

Mackie also thinks the licensing issue creates an uneven playing field between clubs who wish to be promoted, thus having to spend money to secure a bronze licence, and those who don’t want to go up.

He said: “We were told if you want to be compliant for promotion you need to spend the money to get the bronze licence. “We’ve done that and everything is with the SFA to be processed, we’ve done everything to have the bronze licence.

“The issue I have is that we’re now in a situation where if you decide you don’t want to go up you can spend your money on better players and not bother being compliant with bronze. “Whereas, clubs who do want to move up have to use more of their resources attaining the bronze licence. “The way it is there’s a bias which helps teams who don’t want to get promoted because they can devote their resources into their squad and don’t need to spend money on achieving the standards required for promotion.

“In the Lowland League Hearts B and Celtic B can’t go forward for the play-offs even if they finish top of the league. “What’s the point in having a pyramid system if your league then doesn’t have a representative in the play-offs?

“The Highland League needs to look at it, we’ve done everything we can to tick all the boxes and if you’ve got aspirations to get out of the league then you should have a chance. “There has to be something in place so that somebody from the Highland League represents the Highland League in the pyramid play-offs. “There’s no point in playing all season for nobody to be rewarded with the chance to go into the play-offs.

“We want to try to get up and I think if the criteria for promotion isn’t met by the champion then the league should put forward a team for the play-offs that does meet the criteria. “I think the league should have been looking at what they could do or what might happen if the champion club wasn’t eligible because it makes a mockery of the league and the pyramid.”

The Highland League have been contacted for a response.

If you don’t want to get promoted why would you devote your resources into your playing squad?

2 hours ago, Johnny Worm said:

If you don’t want to get promoted why would you devote your resources into your playing squad?

They still want to win the league every year.

6 hours ago, Johnny Worm said:

Because the HL has a great history.

7 hours ago, Johnny Worm said:

Tbf that isn't the main takeaway from that nonsense from Brechin.  Buckie clearly have been working towards their Bronze licence and only the medical requirements are not compliant.  No amount of reduced spending on a squad is going to convince a doctor to attend games, the two things are not related in any shape or form.

7 hours ago, Johnny Worm said:

To consistently beat Deveronvale, Fraserburgh and Keith whilst getting home from all games (including away fixtures) for dinner time.

On 27/04/2024 at 19:44, newcastle broon said:

K Park hardly stands out as a ground as well. 

I'd say it's only slightly better than Meadowbank. 

Well for starters the K Park doesn't have an 8 lane running track in front of the punters viewing area 

39 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Well for starters the K Park doesn't have an 8 lane running track in front of the punters viewing area 

No but unless you sit on the bottom row it fairly knackers your knees. Horrible ground.