Dunfermline (9th) v Arbroath (10th) 17th Feb

17 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Our awful attacking set up has been there since McPake took over.

He has got away with being tight at the back, but that's now out the window too. The biggest problem is that he can't seem to find an answer out of it. Not won in 9 games. 3 home games in a row and gained one point out of 9. Two of those games against the bottom two. 

Where the hell do we win a game? McPake's time is up. 

As I said earlier, we only (hopefully!) have five home games left. Very worrying.

59 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Pars v Accies in May.

I think Alloa might beat Hamilton. Whether we get past Montrose/Cove/Kelty is another matter of course.

31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How slow are we going forward?! It's mental how static so many of our players appear to be when we have the ball.

There's times when we win it back in defence where guys should start sprinting up the pitch but we instead tamely play it side to side.

At times that's called for, like when we're being pressed or want to sit back for a bit, but today neither applied.

We were so plodding and obvious in our play. 

I wasn't there today but I've been saying that for months. Maybe it's because I was brought up on Leishman and then Paton but I like fast football. Even Calderwood's teams, which were more patient and possession based, were quite quick when they needed to be. Thos current team bores me to tears. I spend a lot of our games on here or chatting since I know I'm not going to miss much if I look away for a few seconds. It's pointless letting the other team get their defensive shape back, and you'd think professional football managers would see that but apparently not as we're not the only team who seems to do this. 

24 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Our awful attacking set up has been there since McPake took over.

He has got away with being tight at the back, but that's now out the window too. 

Aye, defences win titles. But when we were keeping clean sheets we weren't exactly banging the goals in last season either. We need to score at least one to win a game and we don't look like doing that. Grim.

Would love to see us roll the dice and play like 1996. Totally blindside the current boring managers. Imrie is kind of doing it at Morton.

Big guys, direct and being aggressive. Bert Paton had us well drilled at it. 

We just don't have the players for it though, Loads of pea hearted wimps in our squad.

3 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Would love to see us roll the dice and play like 1996. Totally blindside the current boring managers. Imrie is kind of doing it at Morton.

Big guys, direct and being aggressive. Bert Paton had us well drilled at it. 

We just don't have the players for it though, Loads of pea hearted wimps in our squad.

Bert was brilliant in the transfer market.

He also signed a balanced squad (until he started losing out on guys due to higher wages in lower league England, but even then he still got guys like Owen Coyle).

Paton liked to be direct but it wasn't long ball pish. He had fast, exciting wingers like Alan Moore and Ivo Den Bieman. He signed lads like Greg Shields and Scott McCulloch to get forward. He had guys like Derek Fleming and Colin Miller to be solid at the back and play the ball quickly to lads like Stewart Petrie.

We had a solid defence with guys like Tod (son of god), McCathie, Cooper, Rice and Welsh. We had a great midfield with fantastic players like Craig Robertson (an all time underrated player in my view; he's a club legend in my opinion, an utterly exceptional player for us and a brilliant leader who would never accept a drop in standards), Hamish French (incredible professional who set an incredible example) and lads like Mark McCulloch and Marc Miller.

Then we had fantastic strikers like Andy Smith (all time legend), Gerry Britton, David Bingham and the aforementioned Owen Coyle.

Sigh 

9 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Think Arbroath were relegated today.

The bottom two were both on that pitch today. Utter drivil from both sides. The 6 point gap will be enough for us but the teams above us can sleep easy. We are garbage. Our manager can't change this and we can't afford to sack him.

Pars v Accies in May.

Arbroath were not relegated today. Far from it.

We had 4 players starting that had been out injured for weeks. ToB, Slater, Norey and Dow. Plus Murray coming on at HT who was clearly unfit when he joined us. A debut for Teale who we got in on loan. Rest of the squad playing their first match in 3 weeks. 

There was bound to be a lot of rusty legs in the team and it showed. But i have no doubt we will improve in the next game. Especially on a better surface.

In the end we got a point and with results elsewhere the only team to gain points on us was Ayr. It still leaves us 10 points behind 5th place. 39 points still to play for.

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Could do the same sort of post for many other squads we've had.

McIntyre's team 2009-2011 were brilliant to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

Wingers all want to come inside now. Absolute Fukn pish 

... Like Cardle? Willie Gibson also had our best game for us on the left, although he did primarily play on the right. 

You are referring to that freezing cold night v Dundee when Willie was unplayable ? 
he did play mostly on the right. 

cardle did play mostly on the left. Can’t remember the opponents but may have been queen of the south ? 
he did the same trick for the first 30 mins drop the shoulder and come inside. The right back got done over and over again.  I’d have hauled him off after ten. Absolute numpty 

Edited by Well over Par

51 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

You are referring to that freezing cold night v Dundee when Willie was unplayable ? 
he did play mostly on the right. 

Yes, he played on the left that night. Dundee burned through about three right backs trying to stop him. I missed the Kozma hat-trick plus two assists game v St Mirren so that Gibson performance is probably still the best individual performance from a Pars player I've seen.

Couldn't make weekend so just caught up on highlights and while they are obviously a skewed view of the game, we clearly had more than enough chances to win, and win reasonably convincingly.

Some great contributions from MFW (obviously including a goal). Kane looks a great addition - great work rate and ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Huge difference seeing Otoo striding through midfield and adding strength and power we're missing with Chalmers and Allan. 

Hugely frustrating when confidence is low and nothing seems to be going our way, but it did look an improvement on recent games.

Pitch looked poor and with the extra pressure of playing at home and expecting to win, I'm hoping a couple of away games might be a blessing in disguise. But that's likely clutching at straws. Defence continues to look vulnerable and if the board want to maximise chances of survival, they should be out getting a deal done this week even if it means increasing the offer to Ashcroft in order to secure his signing as soon as possible.