Dunfermline (9th) v Arbroath (10th) 17th Feb

Well it was a pleasant surprise to find we had 3 defenders starting and even the novelty of a few subs.  Given no games for 3 weeks and about 5-6 just back from injury, I was delighted we managed to keep going but a few were struggling towards the end.  Difficult playing conditions too with the slippy surface.

Two very soft headed goals for either side.  Both had great chances near the end but happy enough with the battling performance. We really needed 3 points but such a joy to score our first goal and pick up our first point in about 2 months.  

It was better. A bit more confidence, which would bring composure, we'd have scored another 1 or 2 at least.

The result is pish but the performance was better again, barring our inability to defend a corner.

Edited by Heaton

I did expect a shot flinging contest and it did not disappoint Dunfermline winning the first half and us the second. 

both teams missing some massive chances zero confidence on show. 

Dow and Stowe are terrible wide options for us. Was in impressed with Teale. Good to have players back but could the rustiness which is expected. Hopefully none of the 3 Ht changes aren’t injuries but changes were needed. 

dunfermline centre half that got hooked at half time was absolutely awful. Along with the playing surface. 

wanted 3 points but I’ll take the 1 after the first half. 

5 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Summers isn't a wide man so surely Moffat who, despite shortcomings, should play as he has looked the only decent player for us recently. 

I think we really should have brought Moffat on, McCann was dead on his feet.

I actually think the back 4 worked okay in the first half Benjamin is a bit shaky but getting people back from injury I would hope we try a back 4 again, helped us control the midfield a bit better which we have totally failed to do previously, and failed again to do in the second half when a combination of the pitch and personnel meant everything was going long.

59 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

I did expect a shot flinging contest and it did not disappoint Dunfermline winning the first half and us the second. 

both teams missing some massive chances zero confidence on show. 

Dow and Stowe are terrible wide options for us. Was in impressed with Teale. Good to have players back but could the rustiness which is expected. Hopefully none of the 3 Ht changes aren’t injuries but changes were needed. 

dunfermline centre half that got hooked at half time was absolutely awful. Along with the playing surface. 

wanted 3 points but I’ll take the 1 after the first half. 

Outwith a total bomb-scare moment, I can't remember you threatening too much. We definitely dropped off, but we did enough both halves to win the game. Still not trying to dress it up though. Both teams are utter shite, and Arbroath will finish dead last with us a close second (bottom)

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

Outwith a total bomb-scare moment, I can't remember you threatening too much. We definitely dropped off, but we did enough both halves to win the game. Still not trying to dress it up though. Both teams are utter shite, and Arbroath will finish dead last with us a close second (bottom)

Few set piece chances Robinson took an age with a chance. Maybe didn’t have as much chances but think he had the better half. 

59 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think we really should have brought Moffat on, McCann was dead on his feet.

I actually think the back 4 worked okay in the first half Benjamin is a bit shaky but getting people back from injury I would hope we try a back 4 again, helped us control the midfield a bit better which we have totally failed to do previously, and failed again to do in the second half when a combination of the pitch and personnel meant everything was going long.

McCann did very little, especially second half. Much of that was because he hardly had the ball, but today wasn't his day and he definitely should have been replaced.

Mad that we still can't figure out the best place to play him, although it's possible that's down to injuries. Were everyone fit he could be deployed more effectively.

Not a great game and a terrible goal for Arbroath to concede and likewise Dunfermline for our goal. We were probably a bit fortunate to get a point although we did have chances ourselves. Take a point as defeat would have been disastrous for us i feel.

Get Summers back to Celtic ASAP. You can have all the talent in the world but if you can't give a crap then it means nothing. His fake limping about the pitch every week when things are going against him is embarrassing.

Edited by Chubbychops

FS that goal Arbroath scored gets worse the more you see it. 

Anyway, trying to look at the positives. Chris Kane is going to be a good asset and we have players due to come back. Ashcroft hopefully joining as well should bolster our options in defence. But the position is still rather bleak: we are solid favourites for finishing 9th. 

Think Arbroath were relegated today.

The bottom two were both on that pitch today. Utter drivil from both sides. The 6 point gap will be enough for us but the teams above us can sleep easy. We are garbage. Our manager can't change this and we can't afford to sack him.

Pars v Accies in May.

How slow are we going forward?! It's mental how static so many of our players appear to be when we have the ball.

There's times when we win it back in defence where guys should start sprinting up the pitch but we instead tamely play it side to side.

At times that's called for, like when we're being pressed or want to sit back for a bit, but today neither applied.

We were so plodding and obvious in our play. Arbroath would have one player press our defence and instead of someone taking them on or trying to play it round them we'd go back, resulting in either a punt forward or working the ball out to O'Halloran, who Arbroath doubled up on, which he struggled with.

Folk talk moronic pish about managers 'not knowing' the league (or the opposite), but it's meaningless shite peddled by idiots (especially now that all games can be watched live and all clubs have extensive highlights, not to mention the numerous match reports from various outlets). McIntyre was easily able to figure us out and deployed his players accordingly. 

Even then we should have had enough to overcome that, but our offensive play is so dire. That to me is more concerning that our soft defending.

Our awful attacking set up has been there since McPake took over.

He has got away with being tight at the back, but that's now out the window too. The biggest problem is that he can't seem to find an answer out of it. Not won in 9 games. 3 home games in a row and gained one point out of 9. Two of those games against the bottom two. 

Where the hell do we win a game? McPake's time is up.