Stenhousemuir -vs- Clyde (Saturday 24 February 2024)

f4cbbf80-213e-4e6f-b7e2-d079c119f560_tex

Where to begin with that.  Still not sure exactly what I witnessed out there today, but boy was it enjoyable.  Not a single failure, some spectacular goals (Liam's free kick and Martin Rennie's second I would gladly pay to see again).  In some ways, I thought we had the potential to get a win - in all the games recently under McCall where we've played well, the opposition have not been stuffy, tried to play football themselves.  Admittedly after Jordan's first one-on-one that he missed, I thought we were in for one of those games, then everything just seemed to click into place.  And a great display from Ross Lyon as well, who I thought did so much right.

For me, player of the match though was Martin Rennie.  I've given him stick, as have a lot of people, because at times he doesn't show enough bravery.  But up front, and in defence, he was simply outstanding.  Had we had that Martin Rennie all season, we might have at least not been fighting to stay up.

What stood us in good stead today was our pressing game, which recently hasn't been there.  We were able to put pressure on their backline and at the same time were able to utilise Jordan's pace to optimal effect.

As much as in recent weeks there's been an attempt to ensure we don't get overly 'the world is coming to an end' about where we are, equally I hop we don't get ridiculously over the top in getting carried away either.  We need to keep those kind of performances going on a consistent basis if we have to stand any chance of staying in the league.  This means not completely shitting the bed against an improving Elgin - who let us not forget handed us our arse not so long ago - next weekend.

But for now - fucking yaaassss, ya beauty etc and 'mon the Bully Wee!

21 minutes ago, David W said:

21/22 we definitely beat Alloa away (game before Falkirk). I think we won at East Fife as well (Cunningham double?).

Aye you're right. Let's rephrase it to this being our 2nd away league win since 2021 then (unless I've made a c**t of that aswell).

Edited by CM.

2 minutes ago, CM. said:

Aye you're right. Let's rephrase it to this being our 2nd away win since 2021 then (unless I've made a c**t of that aswell).

We have only won 11 league matches since Goodwillie left.

Funny old game never better exemplified,  probably no other sport where it all sometimes just comes down to the will to win. 

League position,  current form, quality of players, etc etc all fine and well. On the day, winning individual battles,  making the runs and tackles,  being positive,  making things happen, taking chances can be the difference. 

Wasn't at the game, be surprised if quite a lot of above was not the case.

Always had a soft spot for the Clyde, just a few says ago told a Clyde friend, this is not done, absolutely not.

25 minutes ago, Bob731 said:

Maybe a good Omen..I remember us beating Stenny 6-3  away the season when Maitland won the league as manager 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Was it not 4-3 🤔 I seem to remember, after being 3-0 down at half time too if memory serves. We also beat them 7-1 at broadwood that season. 

1 hour ago, David W said:

I thought we were the better team before Stenny scored from a poor error by Kinnear.

Didn't have the best view David, but I thought that he had lost his footing and felt for him. Otherwise an outstanding performance.  

That was quite something. I'm glad the fans that stayed got behind the players coming off & there was no toxicity. 

Clyde were excellent and on that showing will stay up. Bizarre seeing that today and what was getting said on here after the defeat to Forfar midweek. 

We have a huge game at a difficult venue next week, albeit one we have a good record at. 

I'm still finding it very hard to conceive of what I witnessed this afternoon; though our situation remains precarious, it's one of those days that makes you glad you bother, in spite of all logic or reason. 2-1 would've been a dream result, but to experience the cadence of comfort that the second-half goal glut brought was something quite extraordinary. I just pray that this marks a turning point for what has been a fragile group thus far. As much as Stenhousemuir are hitting a sticky run with an injury or two, we must draw enormous confidence from this.