Stenhousemuir -vs- Clyde (Saturday 24 February 2024)

For everyone that stayed away after Tuesdays result and performance plz stay away the rest of the season you jinksies

We played on the break and basically everything came off -  through combination of great finishing, bit of luck (2nd goal any other game would have hit the post and bounced into goalies hands) and poor defending

When Martin Rennie scores a screamer ( I was right behind it and knew it was in as soon as he hit it) you know it going to be your day

Top performances from Allan and Sula (know he can be a bit of a bombscare at times but played really well today)

What a performance and what a bloody scoreline! Well done to everyone! I always thought the new squad had this kind of result in them (well, maybe not quite this result) and it was just a matter of waiting for thing to finally click. That said, even in my wildest of dreams, I didn't expect them to pump the runaway league leaders away from home! 

Everyone fought really hard the entire game and there were some absolute stand out performances from the likes of Rennie, Cuddihy, Sula, Kinnear and of course our very own Jordan Allan. That said, everyone played well. Some points worth highlighting:

1) We came from behind to win - heads could easily have gone down as I felt their goal was slightly against the run of play but we didn't let it get to us. 

2) Ross Lyon had a good game! He made the odd mistake but overall I thought he played really well and there was bags of energy and he was mostly very positive and attacking in his play. 

3) We finally have a bloody good keeper! Kinnear made around 3 or 4 very good stops. Had it been Parry or that other guy between the sticks we would have conceded at least 3 or 4 today. 

4) We actually looked like a decent team who have been together way longer than the month or two they have. Everyone working for one another and there looks to be a nice connection forming between players and fans. 

Nothing else to say but Mon the Clyde!!! We're definitely not out of this yet.

Edited by RutherGlen

Well, what the Fucking f**k Clyde ? Where did that result / performance come from ?

A resurgence ? Here's hoping !!

Bully Wee fans enjoy your evening. You deserve this for endurance at least !!

👍

That was as excellent as it was unexpected.

Had that sinking feeling again when Stenny opened the scoring. We'd dominated until then without battering the door down, Stenny had forced one good save from Kinnear (should have been a corner btw) but done nothing except that, the goal itself being a gift from us rather than particularly well worked by the opposition etc. Fans went flat as well as we all seemed to know where it was going. All the signs were there and crumbling looked likely until Scullion hammered the free kick past Jamieson before he could even think of diving. In the minutes between Stenny's first and ours, I thought the composure dropped out us and we were hitting slack passes or just trying to force it to an isolated Allan. However, after Allan put us ahead, I though we looked composed until HT. The quick double must have done wonders for the boys' confidence.

The first half of the second 45 was an absolute doddle and I actually thought Allan's lob had gone in for 7 and his hat-trick. Has to go down as a great save from Jamieson. Stenny improved as the half went on, especially with the introduction of both sides' subs, but it was more a case of a chasm levelling than them really taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Unlucky not to score in the second half but I suppose they were fortunate to get the goal they did in the first.

For Stenny, I think they very much looked like a team cruising to a title. They played some nice stuff on the deck in flashes at the beginning and end of the game. However, Clyde simply ran over the top of them until the job was done and then took the foot off the gas. Today could be a blessing in disguise in the long run though as it could serve to shake Stenny back awake and let them know the job isn't done. Do expect that we'll be congratulating you on a thoroughly deserved title win come the summer though.

As for us, today I saw many things that have been missing for so long. Having the self-belief to recover from an undeserved setback, players fighting and out-competing all over the park, sharpness in front of goal (even then Allan could have had 5 or 6, he absolutely tore Stenny to shreds) defensive composure when in the lead and, bar the obvious, a keeper making big saves at big moments.

In the off-chance any of the team do read this, I'd like to thank every one one of them. Today was the first time since either the East Fife play-off semi or perhaps even the beginning of the 22-23 season where I felt real pride in my team after a game. Each and every one of you should be chuffed to bits with today. Particular credit has to go to Allan, Lyon and King for me. The latter especially showed real character to bounce back from midweek in the way he did today.

The Bully Wee.

2 hours ago, EpicMike said:

BBC Scotland saying this was 6-1 Clyde. Can someone who was at the game please correct them as there is no way this is true.

I wasn't there but confirm that that is indeed incorrect.

Clyde won 1-6.

What can you say about that? 

We actually played some really nice stuff in that first half. Clyde's goals came from a wall at a free kick that just disintegrated, followed by a brutal mistake from Meechan one minute later. And we never recovered from it. 

Meechan was all over the place against Allan. I wonder how things might have panned out if Jamieson had been fit.

Clyde's 3rd and 4th were great goals. 

Biggest challenge of the season now for Naysmith and the players.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I left after the fifth goal went in. Stenhousemuir were pumped this afternoon. Absolutely pumped. Destroyed. They look half-decent for the first half hour but after Clyde's first goal, they collapsed in a way I never would have expected from this team. The first and second goals were appalling to give away but the third was beautifully crafted and the fourth was one of the best I've seen from an opponent at Ochilview. Fair play to Clyde. Fair play. If you continue to play to that standard, you'll survive.

As for Stenhousemuir: we haven't been too hot for a while now but this was something else entirely. The kind of performance where everything goes wrong.

I want to die!

Do you think you’ll get promoted now?

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I left after the fifth goal went in. Stenhousemuir were pumped this afternoon. Absolutely pumped. Destroyed. They look half-decent for the first half hour but after Clyde's first goal, they collapsed in a way I never would have expected from this team. The first and second goals were appalling to give away but the third was beautifully crafted and the fourth was one of the best I've seen from an opponent at Ochilview. Fair play to Clyde. Fair play. If you continue to play to that standard, you'll survive.

As for Stenhousemuir: we haven't been too hot for a while now but this was something else entirely. The kind of performance where everything goes wrong.

I want to die!

Will you be posting any highlights?  From our sport we did not get a good view of goals 3-6.  

Just now, Clyde01 said:

Am I right in saying this is our first away win in the league since QOTS on the opening day of last season? What a way to break that run if so!

Correct.  I remember that night well.  I was buzzing all the way back up the M74.  Equally buzzing all the way back down the M80 tonight.  

1 minute ago, Fast_Action said:

Correct.  I remember that night well.  I was buzzing all the way back up the M74.  Equally buzzing all the way back down the M80 tonight.  

That's incredible, a bit like the scoreline today. No wonder you guys had no motivation to go along to an away game like this (especially after midweek!).

To be honest, I'm not surprised at Clyde winning today. Stenny can almost lose all the matches they have left and they'd still struggle not to win this league, such is the state of the teams below them.

Also, I've fancied Clyde to escape since McCall came in and stand by it, even moreso this evening.

1 minute ago, Fast_Action said:

don't see why people were getting stressed out, we are Clyde and we do things the hard way.

Just now, clyde_r_us said:

don't see why people were getting stressed out, we are Clyde and we do things the hard way.

Absolutely. Part of me thinks this has all been engineered to be the ultimate great escape in order to make the inevitable Netflix documentary more interesting. 

16 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Will you be posting any highlights?  From our sport we did not get a good view of goals 3-6.  

The highlights should drop at some point tomorrow. They're likely to be filmed by Pixellot, unfortunately, but you'll get a decent enough view of the goals.

Firstly, Alex King's last ten minutes on Tuesday actually ruined the fact he had done well at left back. He's been great there. Doesn't get beaten one-on-one and can defend a diagonal. That's all you need.

I thought we were the better team before Stenny scored from a poor error by Kinnear. I thought the free kick for our equaliser was soft, but not as soft as the wall. Finally a wee bit of luck with the rebound for Allan's first.

The second half was an enjoyable romp. A great wee nutmeg from Cuddihy and overlap from Lyon before Rennie netted from the cross. I actually tend to enjoy goals like that better than long range strikes but Rennie's second was an absolute belter; you'll literally never see a player strike the ball better.

Allan produced a decent backheel to set Ballantyne in for the fifth and King did superbly for the sixth, which Allan couldn't really miss.

Tactically I thought Cuddihy (outstanding today) did a great job stopping Wedderburn turning, with Ballantyne matching up against Anderson. 

The goalscorers will rightly take credit but Sula didn't give Aitken a sniff and won nearly every set piece. The one thing that Howie/Hamilton lack is dominance in the air. 

All that said, it must be great to be enjoying a season so much that you clap your team off after a 6-1 thumping.

14 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Just the 60 league games between away wins then! Hopefully we don’t have to wait as long for the next…

10 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Just the 60 league games between away wins then! Hopefully we don’t have to wait as long for the next…

Might not be far off! From a quick think I make it 3 seasons in a row with 1 solitary league away win. Stenny today, QOS last season and Falkirk in 21/22. 

Basically if we're to stay up now then the points to overturn the deficit will be earned at "home".

Edited by CM.

3 minutes ago, CM. said:

Might not be far off! From a quick think I make it 3 seasons in a row with 1 solitary league away win. Stenny today, QOS last season and Falkirk in 21/22. 

Basically if we're to stay up now then the points to overturn the deficit will be earned at "home".

21/22 we definitely beat Alloa away (game before Falkirk). I think we won at East Fife as well (Cunningham double?).

9 minutes ago, David W said:

21/22 we definitely beat Alloa away (game before Falkirk). I think we won at East Fife as well (Cunningham double?).

Did cunningham not score 4 or 6 goals that year and all of them against east fife?