Who is the smallest club to have played in The Championship

Who's the smallest club to have played in The Championship?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Gretna - are they the same team as Gretna 2008?  Must be if Rangers are surely.........

Went for Stranraer.   Place reminds me of Finport in Still game - deid full of old folk and neds.  Nothing going on but the ferries.  Arse end of the country.  Tinpot wee town and a support that makes East Fife look huge.

For some reason I'd imagined Stranraer would be quite pleasant. It seems I was wrong!

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Gretna - are they the same team as Gretna 2008?  Must be if Rangers are surely.........

Went for Stranraer.   Place reminds me of Finport in Still game - deid full of old folk and neds.  Nothing going on but the ferries.  Arse end of the country.  Tinpot wee town and a support that makes East Fife look huge.

Even the ferries are gone. 

Gretna undeniably, surely. They had less than 200 fans when they were bothering nobody in the English non-leagues, then were worn as a skin suit by Brooks Mileson's ego - nothing he did increased the viability of the club at all, he just spunked his own cash away on expensive player wages and ground rental. Any millionaire could do that for their local park team and leave just as little legacy behind when they got bored/died.

Frankly, that's the nightmare for a fan of anyone who enjoys going along to watch their local side and appreciates their role in the community. The only arseholes who'd enjoy that would be the wankers who only turn up to local derbies to cause trouble, and p***ks who only enjoy football if their chosen team has the resources to destroy everyone else (but don't have the bus fare to travel elsewhere).

57 minutes ago, Girth said:

For some reason I'd imagined Stranraer would be quite pleasant. It seems I was wrong!

My rule of thumb is that anywhere that primarily serves as a port is going to be a complete shitehole, and I’m yet to be proven wrong. 

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

My rule of thumb is that anywhere that primarily serves as a port is going to be a complete shitehole, and I’m yet to be proven wrong. 

I've been to Invergordon more times than I'd care to remember and that scans.

The correct answer is obviously Gretna. There are plenty of bigger small town/village teams who have never even played in the equivalent of League Two who are bigger than Gretna. 

1 hour ago, North West said:

If it's a 'wee team' we're looking to name then it's obviously Raith Rovers. They're wee as f**k.

Clyde are also on the list.

Unless you mean 'wee' as in 'pish', in which case...no, that still works.

21 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Has to be Gretna. Tinpot stadium and were blatantly ripping the pish financially.

Also a safe option as much like the original Rangers and Airdrieonians they died.

Original recipe Rangers never played in the Championship, so it's Airdrie with the win, considering their fans all transferred over to the corpse of Clydebank.

Different thread, but I wonder how many legacy fans of phoenix clubs like The Rangers and Airdrie United didn't make the journey over. There are bound to be some still saying, "nope, we died, that's where it finished".

Edit: I see my old hometown club in England is about to go through (at least) the third reincarnation of my lifetime - they've had at least two liquidations and multiple other administrations in between. I'm slightly in awe of the people who haven't given up at this stage.

Edited by BFTD

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I see my old hometown club in England is about to go through (at least) the third reincarnation of my lifetime - they've had at least two liquidations and multiple other administrations in between. I'm slightly in awe of the people who haven't given up at this stage.

Will that be the second time the "history" is sold to the new club?

53 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Edit: I see my old hometown club in England is about to go through (at least) the third reincarnation of my lifetime - they've had at least two liquidations and multiple other administrations in between. I'm slightly in awe of the people who haven't given up at this stage.

That would qualify as financially stable in Italy.

My Panini album would describe a club as being founded in 2004 but having their highest league finish as 1964. 

4 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Will that be the second time the "history" is sold to the new club?

The gloryhunters in the crowd will just have to deal with never having reached the third round of the FA Cup, I'm afraid.

Genuinely had no idea the cupboard was so bare until now.