Who is the smallest club to have played in The Championship

Who's the smallest club to have played in The Championship?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Voted for Cove because they didn’t have any Bovril the last time I went there. Absolute tiny club move

On the flipside, I refuse to consider Brechin because of their godly soup.

It's got to be Gretna really.

20 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

There are no "small clubs" or "big clubs".

Club size is a myth perpetuated by obese perma-losers who have no prospects so need to draw consolation from the delusion that they support a "big club".

Ah, you mean Dunfermline Athletic. 

20 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Greenock Morton and Queen of the South missing from the long list.  The correct answer is Stranraer though.  

Neither are small clubs, but you already knew that.

13 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Voted for Cove because they didn’t have any Bovril the last time I went there. Absolute tiny club move

I had what was termed a "gourmet burger" from a van there at great expense, but it was the best thing I've ever eaten at a football game. On that basis, they are not tiny at all.

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I had what was termed a "gourmet burger" from a van there at great expense, but it was the best thing I've ever eaten at a football game. On that basis, they are not tiny at all.

Bovril?  When I was there it was like a cup of hot water and pepper.  Absolutely no Bovril/graviness about it.  Disgusting.

The burger, although expensive, was good though to be fair.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

Last time in top flight. 

Greenock Morton 1988. 36 years

Queen of the South 1964. 60 years.

Yep. Both small clubs.

So Gretna (defunct) were a big club by that logic then? 

Just now, Swarley said:

So Gretna (defunct) were a big club by that logic  

So. By your logic all the clubs who had time in top flight ,no matter how brief, are BIG clubs? Or at least, not small clubs?. 

Good grief.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Neither are small clubs, but you already knew that.

Well Morton are basically just Ayr in terms of size and Queen of the South are inarguably smaller than both.   

Has to be Cove surely. One season in the league, f**k all fans even for Highland League standards, never been in the top flight, tinpot ground in the middle of nowhere.

Like even though Gretna are technically a smaller team the impact they had on Scottish football is massive - if you say “doing a Gretna” or similar everyone knows what you mean. They even made a cup final and are generally just a laughing stock.

Cove is just somewhere Aberdeen fans go when their big team plays away - a total non-entity of a team.

On 21/02/2024 at 10:40, pozbaird said:

Gretna. An abomination funded by a chain smoking, llama loving fud from a town best left to doing shotgun weddings and discounted M&S underpants from the outlet village.

They also have a good discount Cadbury shop - you have to be fair to Gretna.

8 minutes ago, michaelspinos said:

They also have a good discount Cadbury shop - you have to be fair to Gretna.

Fair do’s. I bought a Cotton Traders polo shirt there once. Lasted years, indestructable thing. So, aye, Gretna is aw’right.

27 minutes ago, ellichtie said:

Has to be Cove surely. One season in the league, f**k all fans even for Highland League standards, never been in the top flight, tinpot ground in the middle of nowhere.

Like even though Gretna are technically a smaller team the impact they had on Scottish football is massive - if you say “doing a Gretna” or similar everyone knows what you mean. They even made a cup final and are generally just a laughing stock.

Cove is just somewhere Aberdeen fans go when their big team plays away - a total non-entity of a team.

Nah, has to be Gretna. A random non league team playing in the English Northern Premier, or whatever it was, chosen by a millionaire to chuck money at to see how far he could take them. Only for it all to come collapsing down after a few short years when he died and the money dried up. Back at their level now.

Yes, Cove have had money chucked at them and are where they are mainly because of that but they’ve worked their way up from the Juniors to Highland League and through L2 and L1 to a single unsuccessful Championship season and are now competing again in L1 - hopefully with a little more humility and realism.

Although they have a very small fanbase relative to their success, I have no doubt that they’ll still be around even when the money dries up. Do I think they’ll ever be challengers to the Dons in Aberdeen? Absolutely zero chance of that but I can see them stumble around somewhere between the HL and Championship in perpetuity and at least “in theory” they have potential to be a bigger more successful team.

I certainly wouldn’t consider Morton or QOTS to be small clubs. Both should have the potential to be top flight teams in terms of population and potential fan base.
If successful they could be bigger than Ross County or St Johnstone. 
As an Aberdeen fan both clubs are also the subject of many of my nightmares! 

On 21/02/2024 at 10:13, Richey Edwards said:

There are no "small clubs" or "big clubs".

Club size is a myth perpetuated by obese perma-losers who have no prospects so need to draw consolation from the delusion that they support a "big club".

Your manager then? 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/scott-brown-ranks-celtic-among-28294498.amp

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

The only thing stopping me from declaring Cove Rangers the überdiddies is the consistently quality posting of @CoveRangers1922.

Thanks, appreciate that. 2023 especially was an extremely tough time to be a Cove fan. Going back to your ex (manager) rarely ever works out and so we proved in dramatic fashion. A few poundings received and down on the last day of the season by goal difference in the dense fog. Never felt more deflated in a ground.

I really hope we can make it back to the Championship and make a fist of it rather than the feeble attempt we brought last season. 

I'm almost certain it won't happen under Hartley who has proved with a "restrained" budget, and rightly so, he's less than capable of recruiting quality players and equally as poor as getting the most of out them.

We need a change, it feels stagnate. Will still need some cash being injected to get back up as our "fan base" will take time to increase.

Anyway, I've enjoyed watching the Friday night Championship games and going to a few in person when I couldn't get to the likes of Annan/QoS away 

Edited by CoveRangers1922