Who is the smallest club to have played in The Championship

Who's the smallest club to have played in The Championship?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thanks, appreciate that. 2023 especially was an extremely tough time to be a Cove fan. Going back to your ex (manager) rarely ever works out and so we proved in dramatic fashion. A few poundings received and down on the last day of the season by goal difference in the dense fog. Never felt more deflated in a ground.

I really hope we can make it back to the Championship and make a fist of it rather than the feeble attempt we brought last season. 

I'm almost certain it won't happen under Hartley who has proved with a "restrained" budget, and rightly so, he's less than capable of recruiting quality players and equally as poor as getting the most of out them.

We need a change, it feels stagnate. Will still need some cash being injected to get back up as our "fan base" will take time to increase.

Anyway, I've enjoyed watching the Friday night Championship games and going to a few in person when I couldn't get to the likes of Annan/QoS away 

How's Burrell doing? I liked the look of him last year. 

1 hour ago, ecto said:

It’s Gretna, then Cove then Brechin 

tbf cannot believe the vote for Gretna, is so small 

Are Stranraer bigger than Cove and Brechin? 

5 hours ago, ellichtie said:

Has to be Cove surely. One season in the league, f**k all fans even for Highland League standards, never been in the top flight, tinpot ground in the middle of nowhere.

Like even though Gretna are technically a smaller team the impact they had on Scottish football is massive - if you say “doing a Gretna” or similar everyone knows what you mean. They even made a cup final and are generally just a laughing stock.

Cove is just somewhere Aberdeen fans go when their big team plays away - a total non-entity of a team.

I went cove too. From the few games I went to some of the away section was outnumbering the home fans. 

48 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Burrell this season is definitely a stand out and looks like he can make the step up to the Championship although i think he'll head back down south. I'd be amazed if he hasn't PCA'd already.

His pace, touch and finish has bagged him 18 league goals in 24 games and 21 in all competitions. That's in a side that has struggled at times and has little supply from the wide areas.

He would benefit having a Brian Graham/George Oakley/Dipo Akinyemi type alongside him as he's not the most physical. 

We're getting home crowds of around 500-550 this season but that includes corporate. Definitely dipped since we were last in L1, had far better quality players and were flying. Frustrating see the numbers drop off but the club aren't exactly busting a gut to do everything they can to increase the matchday experience either. Needs a shake up to get the momentum back.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Yeh, probably, they would be my 4th

If you look up Scottish Championship club in the dictionary, you'll see an imagine of Morton, a team who have spent 16 of the last 17 years in the Championship. If we take ir back further, it's 27 seasons out of the last 35 (Hugh Scott and Administration to blame for most of our 8 seasons outside of the second tier)

We are probably due a promotion/ relegation.

3 minutes ago, madton said:

Morton, a team who have spent 16 of the last 17 years in the Championship. If we take ir back further, it's 27 seasons out of the last 35

If someone with a less demanding social life than the A-lister that I am cared to come up with a table of seasons spent in the second tier over the past 35 seasons, then that'd be as appreciated as it would be interesting.

The Gretna thing doesn't even seem real now.  The thing I remember about it was that when it was clear they were going to go up they started talking about building an eco-stadium and everyone took it at face value.  A P&Ber, a Morton fan I think, who worked as an architect was given some work by Gretna to produce the technical drawings for the eco-stadium or something like that.  He was never paid and would post about it regularly on the Gretna thread - you'd have people in the media peeing themselves at Gretna and Mileson and then go onto P&B and there was thsi guy who wasn't getting the few hundred quid he was owed for a few hours work and think "hmm something isn't right here".

Also, one thing that was clear was that when it became clear that while it's possible, or was then, to go through the bottom two leagues fairly easily, to do well in the top two tiers you need to actually spend money, Mileson chucked it.  They fell away really badly in their title winning season and then their top flight campaign was farcical - Rowan ALexander turning up to manage the team on day one and getting locked out, I'm sure they almost got evicted from Fir Park for not paying anyone, some of the most random players ever put together.  Deeply odd and then they went bust and everyone just banished it all from memory.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

The Gretna thing doesn't even seem real now.  The thing I remember about it was that when it was clear they were going to go up they started talking about building an eco-stadium and everyone took it at face value.  A P&Ber, a Morton fan I think, who worked as an architect was given some work by Gretna to produce the technical drawings for the eco-stadium or something like that.  He was never paid and would post about it regularly on the Gretna thread - you'd have people in the media peeing themselves at Gretna and Mileson and then go onto P&B and there was thsi guy who wasn't getting the few hundred quid he was owed for a few hours work and think "hmm something isn't right here".

Also, one thing that was clear was that when it became clear that while it's possible, or was then, to go through the bottom two leagues fairly easily, to do well in the top two tiers you need to actually spend money, Mileson chucked it.  They fell away really badly in their title winning season and then their top flight campaign was farcical - Rowan ALexander turning up to manage the team on day one and getting locked out, I'm sure they almost got evicted from Fir Park for not paying anyone, some of the most random players ever put together.  Deeply odd and then they went bust and everyone just banished it all from memory.

I still find it weird how that whole thing was portrayed as a "fairy tale" when it was very clearly only due to money and was always going to end the way it did.

Ploughing money into something when you have absolutely no chance of ever making it back would be deemed idiotic in any other business. In football it makes you "ambitious".

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I still find it weird how that whole thing was portrayed as a "fairy tale" when it was very clearly only due to money and was always going to end the way it did.

Ploughing money into something when you have absolutely no chance of ever making it back would be deemed idiotic in any other business. In football it makes you "ambitious".

There was a period in the late 90s / early 2000s when Livingston were constantly referred to on Scotsport as "Ambitious Livingston" until they went into administration, of course.

26 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

There was a period in the late 90s / early 2000s when Livingston were constantly referred to on Scotsport as "Ambitious Livingston" until they went into administration, of course.

Which time?

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Aye, "fairy tale" is chucked about far too much in football. It doesn't really have a meaning.

Arbroath's organic growth in the space of 6/7 years from League 2 to the brink of promotion to the Premiership is probably the closest thing in recent times you could describe in those terms.

I saw Newcastle United's takeover by the Saudi Arabian state and Manchester City winning the Champions League both being described as a fairytale on many occasions. Dafties. 

Always thought it was mental that the Gretna story was lapped up by the media so much, but I guess these are people who only have a focus on 2 clubs and understand nothing about football economics and logistics outside of that.

Fairy tale isn't terrifically wide of the mark considering a lot of fairy tales don't have happy endings and some are warnings against hubristic ambition. I can't for the life of me thinking any just now, but any Arabian tale featuring a Djinn, tales of Icarus or Prometheus from the Greek lads could be transposed onto the Gretna situation.

P.S. I wasn't aware that Gretna was a hotbed of discount M&S scants. Good info for next time I'm crossing the border.

On 21/02/2024 at 19:34, Central Belt Caley said:

Voted for Cove because they didn’t have any Bovril the last time I went there. Absolute tiny club move

Good shout, I asked for a Bovril from the wee caravan thing and got a cup of what could only be described as greasy water - I honestly think it was the left overs from the previous saturdays game being dished out on a Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Surely any team that scams a lottery winner so badly he ends up kipping back at his maws has to be in consideration?