Your Club's Ambitions

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

It's been 11 seasons in the top flight for Falkirk since the mid to late 80's. I think outside the top 6 big clubs in Scotland every other club has spent a lot of seasons outside of the top flight, so in terms of the other 6 places, it's very much fair game for quite a lot of clubs.

Even the likes of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Hibs etc have spent time outside the top flight. There's probably about 12-18 clubs with realistic ambitions to fill those 6 places in the top flight.

A long while back, I remember asking on one of the Falkirk threads about why they seem to think their club has underachieved, and the universal answer was bad management. Nobody seemed to think the club had just done about as well as would be imagined and that the brief periods in the sun were due to good management.

It is interesting how people view their own club. I've no doubt that there'll be Alloa fans who'll think the world is ending when we (inevitably) slip back into League Two for a while, rather than that we've just ended a period where the board were making good decisions on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

It is Motherwell who amaze me. As you say, the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Dundee, all of whom I consider to be bigger clubs than the 'Well, have all been in the 2nd tier more recently than Motherwell who were last in the second tier in 1984-85, nearly 40 years ago. Hats off to them, they must be doing something right.

I'd noticed that about Motherwell too - it's not like they hang around in the bottom half regularly either. They start most seasons knowing that European football isn't out of the question, even if it doesn't work out in the end.

Clearly Motherwell are to club football what the Dutch are to the Scottish national team  :P

21 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

It is Motherwell who amaze me. As you say, the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Dundee, all of whom I consider to be bigger clubs than the 'Well, have all been in the 2nd tier more recently than Motherwell who were last in the second tier in 1984-85, nearly 40 years ago. Hats off to them, they must be doing something right.

Pardon the brainfart, of course Motherwell got lucky in season 1997-98.

The Scottish Premier League (SPL) was founded in 1998 as the new top flight of Scottish football. The new league and its rules denied Falkirk the chance to be promoted into it on three occasions as a consequence of its formation. When the SPL was created from the old Premier Division, a play-off match that was held between the team ranked ninth in the Premier Division and the team ranked second in the First Division was abolished during the 1997–98 season. Falkirk, ranked second in the First Division, was thus denied a play-off with Motherwell.

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

We are so underperforming at the moment it hurts. From 1930s-50s (to early 60s) we were a top league fixture. Last 60 years have been crap. 

Very true (re QOS), but of course the salient point is that there were only two leagues (not four) back then and thus the number of clubs in each league was higher and clubs only played each other twice in a season. From that perspective QOS should be more than capable of achieving stability within a top league of say 20 clubs, ie almost a combined version of the current Premiership and Championship. So in the current format the Championship level should be achievable for us.

Mind you ..... under the state of the current club/team management a more likely target will be stability within the Lowland League, aye?

Edited by Otis Blue

Ten years ago our Board had plenty of ambition and aspirations for QoS, as time passed however that has steadily evaporated,  lethargy and stagnation is the overriding feelings around the place. Whilst concentrating on reasonanly successful off-field ventures like The Arena, KGV, etc they've taken their eyes off what really matters.  ie the 1st team and the state of the "stadium",  and now it seems to have become too big a problem for them to solve so they're jacking it in en-masse and hoping some fresh blood can be found to reinvigorate the place. Good luck with that. As Bartley takes us to the very brink of possible relegation to the 4th tier of professional football and the stigma of being the worst ever full time team in Scottish Football history,  the Board sit back ticking off the days until they can leave,  seemingly content to let things slide and let fate take its course. I well remember the "Harkness Years" at Palmerston but the state things have sunk to under this Board has surpassed even Harkness's misrule.

10 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Pardon the brainfart, of course Motherwell got lucky in season 1997-98.

The Scottish Premier League (SPL) was founded in 1998 as the new top flight of Scottish football. The new league and its rules denied Falkirk the chance to be promoted into it on three occasions as a consequence of its formation. When the SPL was created from the old Premier Division, a play-off match that was held between the team ranked ninth in the Premier Division and the team ranked second in the First Division was abolished during the 1997–98 season. Falkirk, ranked second in the First Division, was thus denied a play-off with Motherwell.

Motherwell also avoided relegation through league restructuring in 1986 and again in 2003 when Falkirk were denied promotion due to Ochilview falling way short of SPL ground requirements and the construction of Falkirk Stadium still a year off from being completed.

Edited by Slipmat

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Motherwell also avoided relegation through league restructuring in 1986 and Falkirk being denied promotion in 2003 due to Ochilview falling way short of SPL ground requirements and the construction of Falkirk Stadium still a year off from being completed.

Stop, you're embarrassing me!😋

22 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ten years ago our Board had plenty of ambition and aspirations for QoS, as time passed however that has steadily evaporated,  lethargy and stagnation is the overriding feelings around the place. Whilst concentrating on reasonanly successful off-field ventures like The Arena, KGV, etc they've taken their eyes off what really matters.  ie the 1st team and the state of the "stadium",  and now it seems to have become too big a problem for them to solve so they're jacking it in en-masse and hoping some fresh blood can be found to reinvigorate the place. Good luck with that. As Bartley takes us to the very brink of possible relegation to the 4th tier of professional football and the stigma of being the worst ever full time team in Scottish Football history,  the Board sit back ticking off the days until they can leave,  seemingly content to let things slide and let fate take its course. I well remember the "Harkness Years" at Palmerston but the state things have sunk to under this Board has surpassed even Harkness's misrule.

Were Morton not full time when they nosedived into the fourth tier?

It's not great, but I'm sure there are bound to have been other full-time sides who've been similarly bad.