Your Club's Ambitions

7 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think the 3 stands we have are far superior to what Ayr are putting in. Really don't get the excitement for the Ayr thing and don't think it would blend well with our existing set up. I seem to be in the minority though!

I don’t want just another stand that mirrors what we have, I like grounds that have a bit of quirkiness and doing what Ayr are putting in would do that. I’d be happy with a big terrace with no seats but I can’t see that happening so a bit of both plus some hospitality suites covers a lot of bases.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've been curious about what people mean by "matchday experience" for a while.

My view is it's not anything related to a half-time show or similar.

In Falkirk's case I'm referring to different propositions in and around the stadium either enhancing or adding to the Brockville bar and hospitality. As anyone that's been to TFS is aware, there is next to nothing in terms of pubs/restaurants in the vicinity. The Brockville bar doesn't have the capacity and during the summer is a sweatbox! Having a seasonal option like being outside supping in the sunshine might be an option.

I don't think the club can rely on the proposed development over the road for various reasons - choice, reduction in footfall or folk just bypassing the stadium. I'd be prioritising making the clubs facilities an alternative than trying to do it the other way around and hoping to gain from it.

Open the community pitch on match day and get kids playing hours before k.o. while parents get street food instead of pies and make it an event like a cinema trip. Getting fans in earlier and keeping them later especially after a good win.

It's not everyone cup-of-tea but it should be more revenue overall if done well.

Edited by Blame Me

Saw this on social media from Peterhead. We've had our troubles with school kids scrapping with their counterparts from Falkirk/Stirling and a couple of other unsavoury incidents.

As a response we've had police turning up at the local schools warning them to behave. Club hasn't done anything other than chase them about the ground.

It's probably a bit more difficult to engage with schools in the area given our part time status, with most people at the club working in their day jobs during school hours. But I'd like to see the club engage more, let them know how they should conduct themselves but also give them some insight and also a bit of respect...in most instances I think it would be effective and a lot of the bother would cease.

From an Alloa perspective we have a manager who is one of the most genuine guys in Scottish football. I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him- that includes opposition fans etc. Whilst Andy Graham's time might be limited, we should be trying to utilise him more in this way if possible. I understand he works with young people in his day job, so theres not a chance in hell he wouldn't come across well.

Screenshot_20240301-193418_Messenger.jpg

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

12 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

From an Alloa perspective we have a manager who is one of the most genuine guys in Scottish football. I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him- that includes opposition fans etc. Whilst Andy Graham's time might be limited, we should be trying to utilise him more in this way if possible. I understand he works with young people in his day job, so theres not a chance in hell he wouldn't come across well.

Screenshot_20240301-193418_Messenger.jpg

From a Stirling perspective, I agree. AG comes across well. We all need to encourage the "young team" but their needs to be some boundaries and that means not attacking people in KFC or similar incidents from various ultra groups.

7 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Yes, I'd like to see the current "matchday experience" put into full reverse mode and see the re-introduction of cash turnstiles (I don't have a smartphone), freedom to move from the stand to the terracing or vice versa if you so desire, programmes priced on a 10p per page basis, no goal celebration music, no family sections, and no plastic pitches.

QOTS under Bartley - goal celebration music?

200w.gif ?cid=6c09b952j1ak76j1bxk1nb6lq94vp60gnkoapmqm9nhbt0ul&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w. gif&ct=g

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm pretty content with the entire 'experience' simply involving watching a football match in decent surroundings though.

I'm in general agreement, but I'd like it to be a condition of licensing that you have to be able to view the pitch from the pie hut queue, like in Elgin and Hamilton.

12 hours ago, Blame Me said:

parents get street food instead of pies

Pies are street food FFS.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Pies are street food FFS

I appreciate that but having consumed many variations and standards of pie I'd like something a wee bit out the norm and something beyond a chocolate bar and squash for the kids if I'm spending a longer period there.

Pies are still fantastic for 45 minutes!

• 3 weeks later...

As an "experienced" Accies fan our ambition has to be to back in the upper regions of the championship with the occasional dalliance with the premiership thrown in. Maybe even the odd cup run.  However I would take less than that if it meant club security for an extended period. 

On 01/03/2024 at 19:36, Harry Kinnear said:

I don’t want just another stand that mirrors what we have, I like grounds that have a bit of quirkiness and doing what Ayr are putting in would do that. I’d be happy with a big terrace with no seats but I can’t see that happening so a bit of both plus some hospitality suites covers a lot of bases.

Not a Falkirk fan, but fan off stadium architecture. Agree something different would be great, Money no object would love to see something which has a dual aspect so could be used for training pitch as well. That would become a great place for Women/ reserves/ academy etc. 

Add a roof to something like this would be really cool!

00_Sebastian_van_Damme_Varkenoord_201804

https://www.archdaily.com/898946/club-house-varkenoord-nl-architects?ad_source=search&ad_medium=projects_tab

On 19/03/2024 at 21:20, Accie1 said:

As an "experienced" Accies fan our ambition has to be to back in the upper regions of the championship with the occasional dalliance with the premiership thrown in. Maybe even the odd cup run.  However I would take less than that if it meant club security for an extended period. 

Saying nothing other than congratulations for your honesty here in relation to security 🙌

On 28/02/2024 at 08:51, bridge of allan bairn said:

With 5 years in the seaside leagues we have famously been punching way below our weight. Thankfully this now seems to be our last season in tier 3 (for a while anyway).

Given our stadium, new 4G pitch, facilities, support, improving infrastructure, history etc I'd like to see us consistently playing in the top league challenging for the odd Scottish and League Cup and potentially Europe (as we have in the past). 

Our youth set up has some way to go to get back to the way and reputation it used to have, however, now we are fan run and have decent people at the top of the club with a plan I'm optimistic, after years of worry, about the direction we are taking. 

Edited to add - we'd also like to build an East Stand and get the stadium finally finished and enclosed on all sides. This would also give us more flexibility (and revenue) with larger crowds.

Delusional. How about getting to the Championship and staying there. 

On 28/02/2024 at 10:05, QOSfan019 said:

Not going bust or part time 

Steady on. We aren’t going bust. To me we have to get to the Championship. Consolidate our full time status and be an Accie style toppish championship and  occasional Premiership club. We are so underperforming at the moment it hurts. From 1930s-50s we were a top league fixture. Last 60 years have been crap. 

If we avoid the relegation playoffs I expect nothing more than us winning double league titles and promotions to premiership where we then win said  premier league and gain champions league status anything else will be a failure in my eyes 

32 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Delusional. How about getting to the Championship and staying there. 

Hardly delusional, it's not like we've never been there, we've spent a third of my adult life in the top league. It would have been far more if it hadn't been for self preserving stadium criteria, under soil heating and so on.

In terms of the Championship, we are there, and with the squad we have built will likely do well next year.

This whole thread is about ambition, to want to aspire to the top league when we've been there quite a bit historically is not a stretch. I'd argue we are in a much much better place now than we were then it's perfectly achievable and not in any way delusional. Delusional would be winning the top league. 

6 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Hardly delusional, it's not like we've never been there, we've spent a third of my adult life in the top league. It would have been far more if it hadn't been for self preserving stadium criteria, under soil heating and so on.

In terms of the Championship, we are there, and with the squad we have built will likely do well next year.

This whole thread is about ambition, to want to aspire to the top league when we've been there quite a bit historically is not a stretch. I'd argue we are in a much much better place now than we were then it's perfectly achievable and not in any way delusional. Delusional would be winning the top league. 

It's not like Falkirk didn't also benefit as a result of those rules.  Should have been relegated in 2002 but survived due to the death of Airdrieonians as a result of building a compliant stadium that they could not afford.  

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

It's not like Falkirk didn't also benefit as a result of those rules.  Should have been relegated in 2002 but survived due to the death of Airdrieonians as a result of building a compliant stadium that they could not afford.  

That's very true, however, we lost out more on these "new rules" than we gained. And don't get me started on the covid season...

The recent debate on plastic pitches feels like another of these "new rules" could be on the cards.

14 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Just a brief scan of stats, but it looks like Falkirk have been in the top division for about a dozen seasons of the fifty or so since the Seventies reconstruction, with almost as many spent in the lower tier(s).

I really can't think of a more established second-tier club in Scotland, with brief stints going either way. Maybe Morton.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Just a brief scan of stats, but it looks like Falkirk have been in the top division for about a dozen seasons of the fifty or so since the Seventies reconstruction, with almost as many spent in the lower tier(s).

I really can't think of a more established second-tier club in Scotland, with brief stints going either way. Maybe Morton.

It's been 11 seasons in the top flight for Falkirk since the mid to late 80's. I think outside the top 6 big clubs in Scotland every other club has spent a lot of seasons outside of the top flight, so in terms of the other 6 places, it's very much fair game for quite a lot of clubs.

Even the likes of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Hibs etc have spent time outside the top flight. There's probably about 12-18 clubs with realistic ambitions to fill those 6 places in the top flight.

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

It's been 11 seasons in the top flight for Falkirk since the mid to late 80's. I think outside the top 6 big clubs in Scotland every other club has spent a lot of seasons outside of the top flight, so in terms of the other 6 places, it's very much fair game for quite a lot of clubs.

Even the likes of Hearts, Dundee Utd, Hibs etc have spent time outside the top flight. There's probably about 12-18 clubs with realistic ambitions to fill those 6 places in the top flight.

It is Motherwell who amaze me. As you say, the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Dundee, all of whom I consider to be bigger clubs than the 'Well, have all been in the 2nd tier more recently than Motherwell who were last in the second tier in 1984-85, nearly 40 years ago. Hats off to them, they must be doing something right.