Your Club's Ambitions

Inspired by this temper tantrum - I thought it might be interesting to check in with folk and see how they feel about their club's current place in the SPFL, where they think their natural place is, whether that's likely to change in the future, that kind of thing. 

I think Alloa's done well to become one of the top part-time clubs, and the club generally makes very good decisions, especially regarding appointments. There seems to be thought going into the long-term picture. The next step for us would probably be to build the club's regular support so that it could maintain a full-time squad, but that would be way off in the future, if it were ever to happen. No doubt the club has an eye on more ground improvements too, as there's been a lot of work on that in the past twenty years. We're doing well overall - League One is probably our level, and maintaining a place in the Championship would be quite an achievement.

With 5 years in the seaside leagues we have famously been punching way below our weight. Thankfully this now seems to be our last season in tier 3 (for a while anyway).

Given our stadium, new 4G pitch, facilities, support, improving infrastructure, history etc I'd like to see us consistently playing in the top league challenging for the odd Scottish and League Cup and potentially Europe (as we have in the past). 

Our youth set up has some way to go to get back to the way and reputation it used to have, however, now we are fan run and have decent people at the top of the club with a plan I'm optimistic, after years of worry, about the direction we are taking. 

Edited to add - we'd also like to build an East Stand and get the stadium finally finished and enclosed on all sides. This would also give us more flexibility (and revenue) with larger crowds.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

Short term ambition - to stay up this year whether through 8th.spot or winning playoffs.

Longer term ambition of consolidating in League 1 with a target of making playoffs for promotion.

Natural order - probably a yo yo team between League 1 and 2, hopefully no lower.

Other aims of improving ground facilities for the away end and improving matchday experience.

Due to being in the Premiership for so long, it's natural to think that we should be striving to return there, but I always felt like we were outsiders in the top flight in that last spell ("punching above our weight" etc) so that might not be a reasonable ambition. 

My ambition is for us to not be a club always on the brink of catastrophe and to actually have a bit of fun on Saturdays. 

Short term ambition is to stay in this league without need of the playoffs. Medium term I'd say is to stabilise in this division and be a comfortably mid table league one team.

Longer term ambition has to be becoming the best part time side.

I don't see the path to us being a viable full time side sadly.

I'd love the support to grow a bit, at least enough to be filling most of the stand and one of the terraces but this season has shown we aren't there yet.

Be good to see the academy producing some first teamers

Where we are now is where I think we should be. Lower mid table in league 1.

We've got a good set up stadium and pitch wise. Finally I feel we have a squad and manager good enough to go with it.

Obviously to get back to the top table with the big boys but that's a long way off yet. IF we go up this season which is looking ever more likely with each passing week and Accies doing their utmost to give us a leg up then I don't think we'll have it all our own way in the championship, it's a mental league at the best of times with very little between most of them. I think maybe consolidate next year maybe a playoff place, if Utd go up they'll more than likely be replaced by Livi who won't have the same financial clout. Interesting times ahead. 

It's an interesting thought that a few folk have mentioned so far about growing the fan base of the club. I'd love to see Falkirk regularly selling out the home end of the stadium and justifying another stand. 

The question is how to clubs at any level actually accomplish that, look at man city, all the money in the world and all the trophies going and the stadium still isn't full.

I'd love to see the game growing across the board but I've no idea how to make it happen. 

28 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

It's an interesting thought that a few folk have mentioned so far about growing the fan base of the club. I'd love to see Falkirk regularly selling out the home end of the stadium and justifying another stand. 

The question is how to clubs at any level actually accomplish that, look at man city, all the money in the world and all the trophies going and the stadium still isn't full.

I'd love to see the game growing across the board but I've no idea how to make it happen. 

I think that has to be the aim of Falkirk, especially with the new developments around the stadium. Totally agree that there's no point in a 4th stand unless we're consistently filling the Main and South stands.

There's nothing like a winning team to bring fans in and I suppose we need to capitalise on that success and really aim for getting younger fans hooked while the going is good as we all know it won't be too long before disaster strikes!

I think for Falkirk we need to relatively quickly establish ourselves as one of the top teams in the 2nd tier challenging for promotion while somehow being able to get rid of the operating loss the club apparently has each season if there's no player sales or cup runs. The club isn't sustainable as is but hopefully can be if the good work continues on and off the pitch.

I think all community clubs should aim have a decent youth set-up and after the self harm of getting rid of a successful academy we're on the long path to restoring some trust. I think this will also help drive support to the club as people will be involved from an early age.

So ideally, establishing ourselves in the top tier with a great youth set up and in a decent place financially. Maybe looking at St Mirren as a model?

Edited by ilostmyself

Loving the disparity in mood between the Falkirk and QoS fans  :lol:

Hope the Cove and Kelty fans get involved, as I'm curious how they feel about the future of their clubs. I'd imagine Montrose will feel similar to us.