St Mirren v Aberflaps 02/03/24

Just home. Just fired up the iPad. First thing I’m going to do is open a beer, and read this entire thread from the point at which I left it at 11.45 this morning.

I have a feeling it will be a fcuking glorious experience.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

The fact 2 shite teams like Hearts and st moron are third and fourth says a lot about the standard of our league

Can someone call the Headsgone thread, its lost someone..............................

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Can someone call the Headsgone thread, its lost someone..............................

There's a few of them in here. Funnily enough all of them doing that 'Why u so mad' shtick.

@kingjoey is a genuine slevvering mess at this point. It's quite heartwarming to see that they are so not bothered about it.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

There's a few of them in here. Funnily enough all of them doing that 'Why u so mad' shtick.

@kingjoey is a genuine slevvering mess at this point. It's quite heartwarming to see that they are so not bothered about it.

Nah, he is just pointing out that some of the "point and laugh" posts are a bit OTT.

@kingjoey is a decent poster and in all honesty is probably raging more at Aberdeen than you lads.

If we were in their position, I would probably be getting points unless my wife forcibly removed the laptop.

We were so pish today as well. Fraser, Gogic, Kwon, Bolton. Guys who have been the backbone of our team playing like they had just met one another that morning.

Absolutely pedestrian, no imagination, no forward creativity at all. Yet Abderdeen managed what, two shots on target in the full game? The goal and a good save from Hemming about halfway through the second half. A quite ridiculous performance from Duk and Miovski in particular. Hoilett looked shite but at least there was effort and endeavour in there. Aberdeen are absolutely there for the flushing this season.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Nah, he is just pointing out that some of the "point and laugh" posts are a bit OTT.

@kingjoey is a decent poster and in all honesty is probably raging more at Aberdeen than you lads.

If we were in their position, I would probably be getting points unless my wife forcibly removed the laptop.

He is, I agree.

Good posters have their moments as well though and he's not had a good day today.

35 minutes ago, scam75 said:

The Sevco loving Walsh gave us hee haw f all today. VAR corrected his mistake for the penalty and he played no part in the winner.

He did allow Aberdeen to timewaste all day and wait until Shinnie's 19th foul in the 87th minute to book him. A horrible, useless weasel of a referee who never does us any favours, 3 goals chalked off vs Hearts earlier in the season, and he did us f all favours today. Let's just get that clear lads..........

The look on his face when we were celebrating the winner.  Seething 😄 

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

The fact 2 shite teams like Hearts and st moron are third and fourth says a lot about the standard of our league

The 3rd worst team beat Eintracht Frankfurt. The standard must be fucking amazing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that we were good, but I thought we were OK for the majority of the game - no more than that, though. It was mostly basic stuff, but we have been rubbish at the basics for the majority of the season.

The shape behind the ball was reasonably sound, the low block ensured our defenders were very rarely turned to face their own goal, and there were occasional signs that we could have some joy on the counter-attack, even if we were a bit wasteful. Barron's goal is an exceptional strike, and allowed us to settle into a system where we can look a bit more convincing as a collective.

Duk was causing St Mirren some issues on our right in the first half, especially when he got one-on-one, and Hoilett showed glimpses of his quality with the ball. St Mirren were clearly targeting Roos with high balls from set pieces wherever possible, which is completely understandable, but we were just about surviving, and I thought MacDonald was strong in the air and marshalled the defence well for the most part.

The second half was mostly a containment job. In fairness, I can't recall St Mirren being able to create anything really high quality until Devlin gifts them a penalty. We could have retained possession better, and it would have been nice to play in the final third a bit more often, but they largely had the ball in reasonably 'safe' areas for us.

I thought going into stoppage time that we were going to win, but Devlin gifts away another goal when we are in a winning position, and even from behind the goal I knew as soon as Walsh blew the whistle for the initial free-kick that it would be changed to a penalty. We then allow ourselves to be counter-attacked virtually straight from kick-off and the defending looks characteristically untidy, but I haven't seen it back yet so won't single anybody out. It is one of those moments where it would have been wise to accept that St Mirren are currently a better team than us and, as disappointing as dropping two points would have been having been leading from literally the first minute, it would have still been a decent point for this team and very obviously a preferable outcome to losing the game.

It is obviously gutting to lose like we did, but I did think there were some decent individual performances. I thought Shinnie was excellent, and Barron was also very good. Duk and Hoilett were bright in the first half, if occasionally a touch wasteful in the final third. The defence did well enough until the penalty, at least when it came to the bread and butter defensive stuff. 

I suppose the most concerning aspect is that relegated teams tend to lose games in the manner that we did today, and we are absolutely in a fight for survival. I am not sure if enough of our players have the stomach for it, but I suppose time will tell.