St Mirren v Aberflaps 02/03/24

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

The Red TV crew were right behind us and their faces were tripping them.

I’d love to hear what the commentary was like for those final 5 minutes. 

Lee was looking pretty glum at the end. 😜 

I don’t know who was on comms with Rob McLean but he was very complimentary about Saints and their resolve and never say die attitude. He had been expecting Saints to get something with the second half pressure. Pretty fair all game really in his opinions.

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Wondering if any Saints fans can give us Dons fans any advice on life in the Championship?

I can't see Aberdeen going down even though results have been awful. However if the worst happens don't fall fo the 'it will be nice to go to different places guff'.

The championship is torture unless you are up the top and winning. We'll end up there again some day. 

34 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

I have not celebrated a goal like that in a long time. The mix of everyone in disbelief and sheer joy as to what happened was magic. 

Indeed. Me too. 

Only because I saw an Aberdeen defender on the goal line when Olusanya hit the winner.

Otherwise I'd have been waiting for a VAR review.

48 minutes ago, meadowroadsaint said:

I don’t know who was on comms with Rob McLean but he was very complimentary about Saints and their resolve and never say die attitude. He had been expecting Saints to get something with the second half pressure. Pretty fair all game really in his opinions.

In that case it can’t have been the usual co-comms guy Steve Tosh who is an absolute walloper. 

4 hours ago, starryfish said:

The St Mirren home support must be the whiniest support in the country, desperate to claim for anything, had a real chip on their shoulder all match 

Just in from the pub, watching the highlights on Sportscene.

Delightful. 

1 hour ago, meadowroadsaint said:

It was Lee Mair.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Where did this Olusanya come from?  That's a few goals he has for you now does he not?  How come you never loaned us this one last season?  The Olusanya you loaned us did nothing but dive.  

I think he's really learned a lot. His play and runs are a lot better. Think he was classic raw player that needed a bit of guidance 

4 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Where did this Olusanya come from?  That's a few goals he has for you now does he not?  How come you never loaned us this one last season?  The Olusanya you loaned us did nothing but dive.  

He was told upon his return to get his shit together and keep it simple. Stop trying to play football like you are the only man on the park.

The difference between now and his debut then reintroduction against Hearts just over a year ago that led to him being loaned out is unreal.

Even at the start of pre-season, several of us were wondering why he was getting so many starts as surely he'd be on his way very soon and Robinson told him as much but as Robbo said in his press conference on Friday, the guy is a fantastic listener who loves a verbal kick up the arse and we've seen that. 

Neither of yesterday's goals happen without him on the park and another forward in his place. Nobody else has that pace to nick in before Devlin. Nobody else has that pace and drive to win the ball 80 yards from goal, start the move and be there on the end of it when it comes back in. Not Grieve, not Nachmani, not Curtis Main, not Van Veen. 

Guy is as raw as thry come but definitely an asset and a total wild card and it's a good option to have.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Yeah, sorry mate. You got the original raw version- we’ve got the souped up Steven Robinson one

I had all but given up on my st mirren & btts yesterday! Rather enjoyed it coming up on the screen in the pub! Robinson, must be close to manager of the year, I hate the "he won the league so got it" stuff.

Amazing how the leagues shite when it's not your team in top few places...

Who knew hiring a 300 year old gaffer with no Scottish league experience could go so well!

Watching the highlights now Barron's strike is very aesthetically pleasing. For the penalty Devlin is a bit lazy running to the ball at the end there but cant help but feel it was more a tangle of legs rather than a foul? Only seen one angle however.

Edited by gannonball

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Watching the highlights now Barron's strike is very aesthetically pleasing. For the penalty Devlin is a bit lazy running to the ball at the end there but cant help but feel it was more a tangle of legs rather than a foul? Only seen one angle however.

Olusanya gets to the ball first then Devlin tangles his legs in with Olusyana. As clear a foul as you’ll ever see 

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Watching the highlights now

..are you sure, because if you are then it's as clear as day that Olusanya gets in front of Devlin and actually makes contact with the ball, controlling it. It is only after Olusanya's touch that Devlin brings him down.

Was it malicious? No. Was it intentional, presumably no. Was it a penalty? Absolute stonewaller.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

..are you sure, because if you are then it's as clear as day that Olusanya gets in front of Devlin and actually makes contact with the ball, controlling it. It is only after Olusanya's touch that Devlin brings him down.

Was it malicious? No. Was it intentional, presumably no. Was it a penalty? Absolute stonewaller.

How the VAR check took so long is bizarre when you saw it on tv. It's well inside and can only assume they checked every bit if play in the preceding 30 secs frame by frame to try to rule it out.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

His poor players had to stand in the freezing cold for five minutes 🤣 Although how it took that long to decide whether or not it was in the box is anyone's guess.

An utterly glorious end to the game. Was convinced VAR was going to give the winner offside or find some minor foul, or that we'd then somehow contrive to ship an equaliser. Limbs and scenes at the end with Colin moaning at the ref. Hope he's finding it fun because I certainly am.

My theory is they actually called it straight away (it was very obvious) but they were waiting for the stewards to get in place before awarding it.

49 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Don’t get them started on refereeing decisions. They’ve had a sleep to calm down and then you go and post this. 

The Aberdeen players all worked hard for 90 mins, and then Devlins lazy run combined with Olusanya’s pace and determination turned the game. 

Devlin is on the side of the 6 yard box and Olusanya was behind the penalty spot when the ball broke. 

First time coming from behind to win a game this season if not longer?

Must also be the longest a team has been in the lead and end up not winning a game. 

23 minutes ago, GAD said:

My theory is they actually called it straight away (it was very obvious) but they were waiting for the stewards to get in place before awarding it.

Not sure the VAR room are in touch with police control rooms !

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t get them started on refereeing decisions. They’ve had a sleep to calm down and then you go and post this. 

I've seen it again now and get why it's a penalty but the replies of 'clear as day' and 'stonewaller' to my post made me decide to not engage any further.