Hibernian v. Ross Cowie 2/3/24

Thought County were well organised and made us look very ordinary for the majority of the game. Didn't offer much going forward mind and that keeper wasn't convincing.

8 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Giovanni's is a terrible chippy. 

6 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

I used to stay in the flats behind the away end and tried Giovanni's a few times purely because it was close by, and I agree it's pish.

Just dropping in to say Giovanni's is shite. I've been in the flats behind the away for nearly 9 years and been to that chipper about 3 times. Each time they look annoyed you've gone in to order something. Pierinos is much better but obviously not great for the football. 

Warning: Heads Gone Incoming…

It was quite obvious we set up to take a point from the game. Wickens made a great save in the first half, but other than that nothing really occurred and Cowie was probably quite happy. It was therefore mortifying to see Wickens gift Hibs a goal in the fashion he did. At that point, the team looked genuinely confused at whether or not to take the reins and have a go or continue what we were doing. This left our defence at sea (far more than usual). Reid was just leaving Boyle completely to run free at Leak who was 5 minutes away from being sent off. James Brown looks a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season. Efete is just not cut out for the league. Today was also the day I finally lost my patience with Jordan White. I’m sick fed of up of going to bat by saying he works hard and wins flick ons. If I wanted a striker who can do that I’d just go and get a Ross Maciver or Matty Aitken. Christ, they’ve probably got the same technical ability as White so may as well have a crack. I mentioned last week about how Brophy was excellent against Livi. That was a flash in the pan. He still looks incredibly unfit. Loturi was as busy as ever but slows the game down by taking 6 touches every time he receives it. I actually thought Sheaf was okay and looks like he’s improving. King was anonymous. Khela showed glimpses when he came on and I’d start him in the reverse.

To be quite honest, you could pick any of them out and label them not good enough but we’ve been doing that all season; so what’s the point? Today is the day that I’ve accepted we will be finishing 11th position at max as I can’t see us amassing by anymore than 10 points between now and the end of the season. It’s brutal, but we just have to prepare for the playoffs now, in my opinion.

FWIW, and this is no sour grapes at all as I generally have a bit of a soft spot, but I was surprised at how ordinary Hibs were. Very predictable. Yet we let them put 2 past us and dominate the game with relative ease.

6 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I was surprised at how ordinary Hibs were. Very predictable

We looked a bit jaded after the Hearts match, too many misplaced passes esp in the first half - 2nd half was a lot better and in truth we never looked in much danger.

I thought your keeper did pretty well, apart from the obvious error for the first goal.

The rest of your report is pretty bang on, without a talisman like Dhanda there isnt much "get up and go".

Edited by Leith Green

@Matty-RCFC is spot on with all of that. Maybe a bit generous to Sheaf. If Loturi could switch the play quickly he would begin to look very good, but I’ve been waiting for that for 18 months. If Efete isn’t cut out for it, then neither is Reid, sadly. There aren’t (m)any better options available but I thought Harmon would be back in the fold after Purrington was sold. 

What does preparing for the playoffs look like, to a team that can barely put a cohesive side together?  Continuing to put the minutes into Brophy and hope he doesn’t break down, perhaps. 5-3-2 in the playoffs with no quality at wing back nearly backfired last season and I think it would now. Dhanda is due back soon, I would like to see a shift toward a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 shape, with Dhanda on one side and Henderson and Sims job-sharing the other.

There needs to be more players in the team capable of making a chance. You can’t play White up front without at least two players running off him (I wouldn’t start him at all but promised that I said my said my piece about that many moons ago). Whichever Championship team is in the playoff final will have been used to scoring a lot more goals than County have. Setting up for attrition when the team has a game-changing mistake every match will be a recipe for relegation. 

It’s astonishing that the previous combination of managers have left us with three centre-forwards, two wingers who have produced nothing this season, and nothing else for the final third of the pitch. 

Here’s the thing.  I have no doubt Murray and Brophy would tear Raith or whomever a new one.  I’d be fairly confident of winning a playoff.  But for what purpose?  So we can battle to finish nearly tenth again?

Signing Josh Reid was clearly Uncle Roy doing right by a local lad sold way too early so he could make a quick buck.  He was our third best left back and now he’s a second best getting played for some reason known only to Cowie. 

Cowie has shown absolutely no ability to change the direction of a game, and I do t know if that’s his fault or the squad’s.