⚫️⚪️Queens Park vs Thistle🔴🟡 -9th March 2024

After a much improved performance today I am now looking forward to the next game.

It will be interesting to see if we stick with the team from today or make any adjustments.  

I would probably start with the same team but I think we will have opportunities to bring on others in this game. On Saturday it was about stopping the leaks and making it a physical battle against united. Not sure Queen’s Park are quite as physical and the game will likely be more open, with 2 sides going at each other. Which is why I wouldn’t mind starting the same and keeping that  structure that improved our very leaky form, at least to begin with anyway. Not sure how this game will go tbh as I haven’t seen any of qp since the managerial change but if I was to guess, I would say a score draw. 2-2!

Thistle have a stronger squad and have had the better of us this season, helped in part by Veldman's tactics which the Jags exploited without mercy.  We've now got a new shape, stronger squad, and a bit of experience to make us a tougher opponent to crack.  Would still have the jags as favourites but we have more than enough about us to get something out of this game. Certainly don't fear the Jags anymore.

21 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Top 2 strikers in the Championship so nil nil.

We don’t really do nils, for either side. 19 of our 26 league games have had both teams score. And particularly recently, we are scoring and conceding a stupid number of goals.

Spoiler

So yeah, 0-0 incoming.

I would love to see two up front here for QP and really pressure the Thistle defence. I think we're more solid at the back and can maybe gamble a wee bit but it might come down to whether we can stop Graham.

2-1 to Glasgow's top outfit in hoops (that's QP, of course).

I wouldn’t be opposed to going with the same again from the United game. Although they’ve added some experienced players, and at least one very good one in Sean Welsh, I think that the youth in Queen’s midfield can be bullied and two big brawlers in McBeth and Neilson might be just what’s needed to do it.

Scott Robinson to start again please. If he could stay fit, he’d be at a higher level because he’s just such an intelligent footballer, and is ridiculously good in the air for a short guy.

Obviously expect Queen’s to be in better nick than the last few times we’ve faced them, but hopeful of still getting the result. 3-1 Thistle. 

Annoyed about this game already, with Thistle handing out 3 points to all the teams around us, but don't see the generosity being extended to us. We've struggled with Lawless and Fitzpatrick running at us and Brian Graham scoring for fun. 

26 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I would love to see two up front here for QP and really pressure the Thistle defence.

Agreed.  My only hope is that we take advantage of their goalkeeping options.

Barring injuries can't see Dools tweeking anything after what was a solid defensive/midfield performance against a very physical United. Hopefully more of the same with a bit more shooting opperchancities....perhaps McInroy for Robinson if the wee man puts himself about too much and takes a sore one .

Should have won the last one at Hampden, which was one of the very few good performances under Veldman. We’re certainly a different team to the one that Thistle beat at Firhill at the turn of the year.

Like most games in this league, it’s such a tough one to call. Important not to start smashing panic buttons if things don’t go our way in the next couple of games. There are six or seven teams in this scrap, so it’s simply not possible for all of them to run away. Next two are really tough. Not a terrible run in beyond that. I do have faith that we have enough about us, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to at least be mildly terrifying. 

23 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I would love to see two up front here for QP and really pressure the Thistle defence. I think we're more solid at the back and can maybe gamble a wee bit but it might come down to whether we can stop Graham.

2-1 to Glasgow's top outfit in hoops (that's QP, of course).

Must play 2 up front, to have any chance in the rest of our games, with Thomas coming in behind  them.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Important not to start smashing panic buttons if things don’t go our way in the next couple of games

Mmm, agree, but the palm of the hand is hovering over it a little at the moment, (albeit slightly higher than it was in December!). Rather than a ‘must win’, it’s most definitely a game we cannot afford to lose IMHO

Edited by Spider1975

A draw will not be shabby. The big ones are Arbroath, Ayr, Dunfermline, Inverness, and I think Airdrie at the end is potentially a big one. In my opinion we are better than all those teams. I would not like to be an Ayr supporter right now. Any points gained against the others are a bonus.

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Mmm, agree, but the palm of the hand is hovering over it a little at the moment, (albeit slightly higher than it was in December!). Rather than a ‘must win’, it’s most definitely a game we cannot afford to lose IMHO

We’re definitely going to lose games between now and the end of the season. I’ll be amazed if anyone goes unbeaten. We have this and Raith the next two weeks, and Caley have United and Thistle away the following two weeks after that. Calm heads needed as the madness rages around us.

Edited by an86

Didn't see the game vs DU but based on the reports would make sense to stick with the same team if everyone is fit. Doesn't reflect tremendously on any of our other midfielders that the 2 starters are a guy who was in the 6th tier 2 months ago and a centre half moved forward, but if that's what's been needed to shore things up then so be it.