East Fife vs Dumbarton

Match Outcome  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/24 at 14:59

That was a really odd game. And the ending was grimly predictable. So much so, that it provoked virtually no anger. Just everyone streaming for the exits and a few sighs of 'f**k's sake'.

It was weirdly, mainly, because of East Fife. For the first 20 minutes and last 15 or so they were superb. They penned us in, dominated the midfield and should've added to their three goals. In fact they should've been 3-0 ahead inside 15 minutes, with Nathan Austin somehow hitting the post from about two yards and Stuart Murdoch almost catching out the very shaky looking Jay Hogarth from long range. With the ball hitting the bar.

After that start, they dropped out of the game. And we really should've been level before half-time when Finlay Gray missed a sitter.

With the wind at our backs we started the second-half very well. Both goals were really decent. The first working the ball out to the left, a good pass by Tony Wallace and a terrific finish from Finlay Gray.

The second saw Michael Ruth finally get a reward for all the chasing of balls punted into the channels. Robbing Brian Easton and teeing up Jinky Hilton (via a lovely Gray dummy) to stroke in.

Then we crumble almost immediately. Conceding from a corner. Which has been an Achilles Heel all season. It looked like Jay Hogarth should've done a lot better too, but I'm not sure if he had bodies in the way.

From that goal until about 10 minutes from time I was very comfortable it was ending 2-2. Both sides looked quite content with that.

But then East Fife went for it, Hogarth had the bar to thank for bailing him out after another awkward save. And made a decent rebound save after spilling a long range Jack Healy shot. Before making one of the weirdest attempts to save a header I've ever seen. Resulting in Nathan Austin's winning goal. I'm not sure if it was the wind, a deflection or just a howler. But I thought the header was his all the way. Right up until the moment it hit the net.

We could've crumbled after going behind early. And I thought we were miles off it early on. But the players did show a bit of fight in the second-half.

Mark Durnan being back made a difference and I thought he played well. It was also the best game I think Jinky Hilton has had for us, maybe excepting the Forfar match. He was skilful, used the ball well, took his goal well and worked hard for the cause.

Michael Ruth was Michael Ruth. Tony Wallace was Tony Wallace.

Despite his goal, I didn't think Finlay Gray played all that well. Especially when it came to using the ball. Cian Newbury likewise did some things that were very good, and some things that saw him getting overrun. Aaron Healy showed about five minutes of promise after our goals, and was then hooked.

By far and away our biggest issue however is the defence. Nathan Austin started playing off Mark Durnan, and didn't get a great deal of joy. It was just two big strong boys giving as good as they for.

Then he targeted Gallagher Lennon. And ragdolled him for the whole of the second-half. Lennon is just not ready for this level of football yet; and it can't be doing him any good getting roasted constantly. His confidence must be in tatters.

Left-back is obviously a major issue too. As we all know. And I don't have a clue what we do there. Blair Malcolm was at fault for the opening goal and got roasted a few times. Ryan Blair isn't very good there at all, but he seems like our only passable option. And that's bloody terrifying.

Fourth place is still very much in our hands. Eight games remaining and all we have to do is make sure that East Fife don't win two more than us is a challenge most teams should be confident in overcoming. But we really are a rabble at times defensively, and I've no faith at all in this squad to play sensibly and string together a five or six game run of positive results.

We've won four games since Brett Long broke his ankle in the first week of December. That's harrowing. I know we all knew Brett was excellent, but I don't think we maybe appreciated just how vital he was at papering over defensive cracks.

I found it a very entertaining game, with EF coming out IMO deserved winners over the whole piece. The home team came out all guns blazing and with a bit more luck could have been 3 up after 20 minutes. Up to that point, Walls and Trouten were ruling the roost but Faz changed his tactics and that threat was nullified.Dumbarton thereafter came more into the game and probably ended the first half on top, with Gray missing a good opportunity to tie the game up. 
At the start of the second half, it was all Dumbarton and they quickly deserved their 2 quick fire goals to take the lead. . I think that up to about 60/65 minutes Dumbarton we’re playing okay confident football but again EF took over again.

Once again, the EF subs played their part, with young Blaney being an able replacement for Page. I had the feeling that the game was going to end in a tame draw but up steps Fash..

In all honesty, I think EF’s  2nd and 3 rd goals are down to judgement errors from Hogarth but 3 goals, 3 points plus 3 shots against the woodwork, unbeaten in 5, made it a good day at the office for EF , although the EF management team will no doubt have methinks slightly other opinions.

PS

Good to see Pat Slattery back in the squad and also good to hear the EF U20 player taken to hospital during last night’s game is recovering well at home.

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was a really odd game. And the ending was grimly predictable. So much so, that it provoked virtually no anger. Just everyone streaming for the exits and a few sighs of 'f**k's sake'.

It was weirdly, mainly, because of East Fife. For the first 20 minutes and last 15 or so they were superb. They penned us in, dominated the midfield and should've added to their three goals. In fact they should've been 3-0 ahead inside 15 minutes, with Nathan Austin somehow hitting the post from about two yards and Stuart Murdoch almost catching out the very shaky looking Jay Hogarth from long range. With the ball hitting the bar.

After that start, they dropped out of the game. And we really should've been level before half-time when Finlay Gray missed a sitter.

With the wind at our backs we started the second-half very well. Both goals were really decent. The first working the ball out to the left, a good pass by Tony Wallace and a terrific finish from Finlay Gray.

The second saw Michael Ruth finally get a reward for all the chasing of balls punted into the channels. Robbing Brian Easton and teeing up Jinky Hilton (via a lovely Gray dummy) to stroke in.

Then we crumble almost immediately. Conceding from a corner. Which has been an Achilles Heel all season. It looked like Jay Hogarth should've done a lot better too, but I'm not sure if he had bodies in the way.

From that goal until about 10 minutes from time I was very comfortable it was ending 2-2. Both sides looked quite content with that.

But then East Fife went for it, Hogarth had the bar to thank for bailing him out after another awkward save. And made a decent rebound save after spilling a long range Jack Healy shot. Before making one of the weirdest attempts to save a header I've ever seen. Resulting in Nathan Austin's winning goal. I'm not sure if it was the wind, a deflection or just a howler. But I thought the header was his all the way. Right up until the moment it hit the net.

We could've crumbled after going behind early. And I thought we were miles off it early on. But the players did show a bit of fight in the second-half.

Mark Durnan being back made a difference and I thought he played well. It was also the best game I think Jinky Hilton has had for us, maybe excepting the Forfar match. He was skilful, used the ball well, took his goal well and worked hard for the cause.

Michael Ruth was Michael Ruth. Tony Wallace was Tony Wallace.

Despite his goal, I didn't think Finlay Gray played all that well. Especially when it came to using the ball. Cian Newbury likewise did some things that were very good, and some things that saw him getting overrun. Aaron Healy showed about five minutes of promise after our goals, and was then hooked.

By far and away our biggest issue however is the defence. Nathan Austin started playing off Mark Durnan, and didn't get a great deal of joy. It was just two big strong boys giving as good as they for.

Then he targeted Gallagher Lennon. And ragdolled him for the whole of the second-half. Lennon is just not ready for this level of football yet; and it can't be doing him any good getting roasted constantly. His confidence must be in tatters.

Left-back is obviously a major issue too. As we all know. And I don't have a clue what we do there. Blair Malcolm was at fault for the opening goal and got roasted a few times. Ryan Blair isn't very good there at all, but he seems like our only passable option. And that's bloody terrifying.

Fourth place is still very much in our hands. Eight games remaining and all we have to do is make sure that East Fife don't win two more than us is a challenge most teams should be confident in overcoming. But we really are a rabble at times defensively, and I've no faith at all in this squad to play sensibly and string together a five or six game run of positive results.

We've won four games since Brett Long broke his ankle in the first week of December. That's harrowing. I know we all knew Brett was excellent, but I don't think we maybe appreciated just how vital he was at papering over defensive cracks.

I've given you a greenie Jan as that would have cost you about 800 quid in the obituaries column in the Lennox.

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've given you a greenie Jan as that would have cost you about 800 quid in the obituaries column in the Lennox.

The short version is that my garden fence needs painting. And I'm keen to do that before you (or anyone else) tries to steal it as a way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/5KrAA7kW7RH8R8Gw/?mibextid=WC7FNe

It’s always everyone/something else’s fault, other than his, isn’t it?

That is an excruciating listen

He looks totally lost during that interview 

And as for guys playing through the pain barrier & now being unavailable, the clown put an unfit Orsi on during the week despite having other options & left Ruth on the pitch too even though the game was lost.

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

What’s this fucking hillbilly clown on about “I’ve read a lot of Dumbarton fans on pie and bovril giving Michael Ruth a hard time” :lol: there was literally chat about him moving full time the other day.

I’m still trying to figure out what this guy thinks he read. Maybe when Ruth missed the sitter at the end against Forfar? Or he’s just totally confused him with another player?

image.jpeg.51b58dbee721472d2d36d542740e7739.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

the clown put an unfit Orsi on during the week despite having other options & left Ruth on the pitch too even though the game was lost.

Baffling decisions. Him and the East Fife commentator should start a circus.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The short version is that my garden fence needs painting. And I'm keen to do that before you (or anyone else) tries to steal it as a way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Can I suggest the silky skills and flowing football of the National League North?

I thought I was watching Stevie Farrell's geordie cousin.

Why are we so bad in the air? We aren't a particularly small side, but both offensively and defensively, we hardly ever win anything! We lose far too many goals from crosses/set plays and don't threaten anywhere near enough from them at the other end.

Is this season done yet? Is Farrell still in charge? Have our players found a single pair of cojones between them yet?

Farrell's management of the Orsi situation is just staggeringly bad. What was he thinking? Bringing him on, then leaving him on until Kalvin himself decided enough was enough. Incredibly frustrating.

The Callum Wilson signing, always risky, has turned out a complete disaster as well. 

Next few games are going to really turn the heat on. Peterhead won yesterday, but I reckon East Fife are capable of going there and getting at least a point. Then they’ve got Stranraer and Elgin at home, which is a very good chance for 6 points. I don’t see us taking anything at Spartans next week, and Bonnyrigg and Stenny on our cow field will be a slog.

Posted (edited)

I think the guy who attempts to flick the ball in for their second could be offside. Inconclusive from that angle, but it's why Hogarth doesn't save it, anyway. Actually, I'd say's he's probably on based on the angle from behind the goal. Looks like T.Wallace plays him on.

Honestly, what is Hogarth doing for the third... 

East Fife were worth their win tbh. Not an exaggeration to say they could've very conceivably scored 6/7, based on the chances created. We only played well after they should've been 3-0 up inside 15 mins until they equalised for 2-2.

Oh, and make sure you adjust your volume downwards before watching these! :lol:

Edited by FifeSons