Artificial pitch vote

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Premier league...top division...premiership...same difference.

While the 10k seats rule was abysmal in terms of reality (as in the amount of clubs who actually needed that amount of seats), it was required to an extent to force clubs who would happily give fitba players money whilst ignoring the utterly disgraceful facilities that were falling in and around their ears.

Yes motherwells hybrid pitch is magnificent...thanks very much

A pitch that you would not have but for the sale of Turnbull to Celtic. Your debating position is totally incorrect. Your club among others, possibly mine included but doubtful, appear happy to restrict the progress of ambitious clubs because a wee killie club kept taking points of the OF. The media hang on to every word St Brendan utters result .............. ban astro and the self interest increases the momentum and therefore the vote.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

McDiarmid is the same. Becoming neglected and old now.

Who knew that forcing clubs to spend all their money building stadiums they couldn't afford to maintain, or build, would be causing issues years later?

Maybe everyone should have just given up on thinking about playing in the top flight and just let the big kids play amongst themselves instead though.

There are literally people in positions of power who see that as the ideal scenario for Scottish football.

12 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

A pitch that you would not have but for the sale of Turnbull to Celtic. Your debating position is totally incorrect. Your club among others, possibly mine included but doubtful, appear happy to restrict the progress of ambitious clubs because a wee killie club kept taking points of the OF. The media hang on to every word St Brendan utters result .............. ban astro and the self interest increases the momentum and therefore the vote.

Sorry whit? 

Motherwell only have a decent pitch because they used money brought into the business, through the sale of an Asset? Who'd have thought it...ffs

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I would imagine in a lot of clubs (like mine or yours) the "football department" were probably vociferous in getting rid of plastic pitches as managers (and some older pro's) never stop complaining about them. 

Undoubtedly. The tagline should really be: From the men that brought you five subs and VAR comes.... The Plastic Purge.

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Sorry whit? 

Motherwell only have a decent pitch because they used money brought into the business, through the sale of an Asset? Who'd have thought it...ffs

I do not dispute that, that is how football works. But you appear to have a superiority complex because you have a good grass pitch. Try thinking about the 30 odd clubs below Motherwell who want to do the same but you want to restrict them. You have spent a lot of time this morning spouting rubbish. Your defence of how this vote turned out is as bad as the one Motherwell had last season.

It would be decent if some of our clubs' representatives could go public with how they've voted and why.  We're just going to fill any void with the assumption that it's self serving protectionism. 

1 minute ago, KTID26 said:

I do not dispute that, that is how football works. But you appear to have a superiority complex because you have a good grass pitch. Try thinking about the 30 odd clubs below Motherwell who want to do the same but you want to restrict them. You have spent a lot of time this morning spouting rubbish. Your defence of how this vote turned out is as bad as the one Motherwell had last season.

Why did Killie decide they were replacing their plastic with grass prior to the vote? Why do almost all top leagues top flights play on grass? Why do professional footballers prefer to play on grass?

19 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Why did Killie decide they were replacing their plastic with grass prior to the vote? Why do almost all top leagues top flights play on grass? Why do professional footballers prefer to play on grass?

We're not a top league and never will be. That's what a lot of fans seem to be forgetting. 

35 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Different countries have different climates and clubs have different circumstances. Astro is more common in Northern Europe. Scotland is about the cross over point where artificial pitches start to make sense.

21 hours ago, capt_oats said:

You're kidding yourself on if you think this is about the Premiership clubs bending for Celtic and Rangers.

I'd imagine there's a huge amount of disdain for artificial surfaces amongst the boardrooms of the top flight clubs off the back of Livi and Killie's carpets.

Just to clarify, I’m not ruling out clubs looking out for themselves as a contributing factor here. There obviously will be an element of selfishness at play, as is always the way in Scottish football.

And I don’t think that the Old Firm are getting everyone in the top flight around a table and trying to make the rest of their Premiership counterparts vote to abolish plastic pitches. But subconsciously, their incessant whining in the media has got to be a factor here. Every time Killie or Livi (or whoever else, but these are the two recent examples) get a positive result against the bigots then the pair of them are straight to the press to bitch and complain about how bad plastic pitches are and that they should be outlawed. And an unfortunate trait in Scottish football is that our media will give them far too much attention to throw around these pathetic excuses. Imo it would be naive to think that this narrative of “plastic pitches = bad, grass pitches = good”, perpetuated by our biggest clubs with the most coverage, hasn’t had an impact on how some other clubs are thinking or how they have voted.

Additionally, I appreciate the fans on this thread who are criticising their own clubs’ stance here - which seems to primarily be Motherwell and St Johnstone fans from a cursory glance - because it’s clearly a dreadful decision that’s been made. I just think that (again, unfortunately) in this case the ugly sisters have ended up getting their own way and I don’t think that’s just through other clubs being self-servient.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're getting £1m more in prize money every season than these clubs, and that's ignoring the higher attendances too.

Raith lost a fortune with a grass pitch due to their stadium shape too, a stand blocks the sun as the cotners enclosed, presumably you'll be wanting them to rebuild or move ground aswell then?

Or are you about to claim they should spend yet another 6 figure fee for solar lamps that run year round, and rack up a further 6 figure electricity bill, to maintain the pitch?

Its just fantasy stuff. 

The only fantasy stuff here is the claim that big-spending Raith's financial losses were caused by the 'unique' layout of their ground being unsuitable for a grass pitch. Did the wallet inspector pay you a successful visit too? 

Cappielow has a section underneath the main stand that sees zero sunlight whatsoever for four months of winter (and not too much the rest of the time, being Greenock). We do not (and can no longer afford to) lose hundreds of thousands of pounds maintaining a grass surface. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

We are the same through the winter, mental health groups, men’s health teams, Falkirk foundation,  woman’s team, youth football etc etc all use our pitch through the winter. Switch to grass and that’s gone. Where do these teams get a facility with floodlights to use during the winter months.

We also have East Stirling, Denny Warriors using our pitch. They will be made homeless.

A: Ochilview. 🤡

ETA: Also Little Kerse and countless other artificial surfaces, that do not actually depend on Falkirk FC's top flight status to operate. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Cappielow has a section underneath the main stand that sees zero sunlight whatsoever for four months of winter (and not too much the rest of the time, being Greenock). We do not (and can no longer afford to) lose hundreds of thousands of pounds maintaining a grass surface. 

And yet despite this, Morton have one of the very best playing surfaces and groundsmen in the entire country. This is where the 'we can't afford lamps to keep the surface in good condition' argument crumbles. I guess Morton don't have these either but their playing surface is consistently great.

Posted (edited)

I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes the pitch is the subject on this occasion but the bigger issue is that our top flight teams just arbitrarily voted to completely ban something from the league with no explanation, reasoning and as far as I know, haven't even had the courtesy to state the voting outcome. 

And that's it, done. No appeal, nothing to see, move on. 

The people who run Scottish football are atrocious yet clowns like Doncaster remain on the payroll and have no accountability. It's a shambolic setup but nothing will ever be done to change it.

Two teams dictate the game here and the rest of the leagues are too busy doing the whole "bald men fighting over a comb" routine, ad nauseum, to collectively do something about it. 

Edited by bob_mcshug

Just now, bob_mcshug said:

I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes the pitch is the subject on this occasion but the bigger issue is that our top flight teams just arbitrarily voted to completely ban something from the league with no explanation, reasoning and as far as I know, haven't even had the courtesy to state the voting outcome. 

The people who run Scottish football are atrocious yet clowns like Doncaster remain on the pay cheque and have no accountability. It's a shambolic setup but nothing will ever be done to change it.

Two teams dictate the game here and the rest of the leagues are too busy doing the whole "bald men fighting over a comb" routine ad nauseum to collectively do something about it. 

To be fair, I completely agree on this...despite agreeing with the ban, I can see what you're saying here

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Why did Killie decide they were replacing their plastic with grass prior to the vote? 

Killie's pitch would have been changed in the next year or two regardless of the vote as it was reaching the end of it's llifespan, the exact same as we did in 2019 with the original one for the same reason.

To progress the club moving forward it was decided to build a training facility away from RP which will also better benefit the youth and womens setups, so the next logical step is to return RP to grass.

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

A: Ochilview. 🤡

ETA: Also Little Kerse and countless other artificial surfaces, that do not actually depend on Falkirk FC's top flight status to operate. 

Ochilview and Little Kerse are already used every night by other clubs. Next suggestion 

17 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

The people who run Scottish football are atrocious yet clowns like Doncaster remain on the pay cheque and have no accountability. It's a shambolic setup but nothing will ever be done to change it.

Two teams dictate the game here and the rest of the leagues are too busy doing the whole "bald men fighting over a comb" routine ad nauseum to collectively do something about it. 

It's also worth pointing out that the clubs put Doncaster there, he works for them, and they're happy with him.

I think Rangers and Celtic have less to do with this than the other clubs for whom relegation would cause big financial problems.

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And yet despite this, Morton have one of the very best playing surfaces and groundsmen in the entire country. This is where the 'we can't afford lamps to keep the surface in good condition' argument crumbles. I guess Morton don't have these either but their playing surface is consistently great.

It’s just a pity what surrounds the playing surface at Cappielow