Strongest 11/McGregor/Ferguson conundrum

Doak has potential and nothing else at the moment. I think he'll come very good, but his performances for Liverpool in the Europa League were not those of a player actually ready to be playing at that level.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This post reeks of FIFA style selection where Ferguson has a higher number than McGregor so you just pick him in the team. Either that or just basing it on the clubs and level people play at rather than their ability.

Let's face it, McGregor could comfortably be playing for a very good Serie A team if he wanted to right now, but the fact he isn't will always count against him in some people's eyes.

All about opinions mate, I just don't see the point in keeping the same 11 starting every game when we could become even better with the options we have now...

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Doak has potential and nothing else at the moment. I think he'll come very good, but his performances for Liverpool in the Europa League were not those of a player actually ready to be playing at that level.

This has been the scottish mentality for too long, much bigger nations throw young lads in with huge potential and develop them and get them ready early. We wait far too long on getting talented lads playing regularly, grinds my gears

Bigger nations can do that because they'll qualify anyway. We have still done it with several of the players in the current squad which is why Billy Gilmour will probably reach 25 caps in this double header before he turns 23. Patterson will probably do that before his 23rd birthday too.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Bigger nations can do that because they'll qualify anyway. We have still done it with several of the players in the current squad which is why Billy Gilmour will probably reach 25 caps in this double header before he turns 23. Patterson will probably do that before his 23rd birthday too.

What about teams like Wales then?

Bigger nations are doing it because their young players are better than those they are taking the place of.

What about Wales? As soon as their generational talent and other very good player packed it in they have dropped like a stone. The fact they have a bunch of Championship players with 40 caps by the age of 24 doesn't seem to be helping them actually win many games.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What about Wales? As soon as their generational talent and other very good player packed it in they have dropped like a stone. The fact they have a bunch of Championship players with 40 caps by the age of 24 doesn't seem to be helping them actually win many games.

What you even on about? They started playing their best players no matter how young they were and were performing at a level only we could dream of... 

Calum McGregors performances for Scotland are incredible. 

The fact he can raise his game at international level despite playing year in year out at a small club who consistently struggle in Europe is a testament to his qualities. 

35 minutes ago, The SandDancer said:

This has been the scottish mentality for too long, much bigger nations throw young lads in with huge potential and develop them and get them ready early. We wait far too long on getting talented lads playing regularly, grinds my gears

What bigger international teams have thrown players in who are playing at Doak's level? And by that I mean under 23 games and the very, very occasional cup game. 

26 minutes ago, velo army said:

What bigger international teams have thrown players in who are playing at Doak's level? And by that I mean under 23 games and the very, very occasional cup game. 

Benjamin Sesko playing for an Austrian second division team springs to mind.

Also, The brazillian national team has been littered with young talent thrown in.

Anyways best comparison is with Wales when they threw in Bale etc as a teenager and Wales are a similar sized nation to us.

Steve Clarke capped Lewis Ferguson when he was at Aberdeen and beginning to pop up on the radar. He's talked glowingly about Ferguson and his future with the National Team since then. If Clarke doesn't think he's best placed to get more game time then I'm fine with that or if he starts playing more then that's also fine.

Clarke knows what he's doing, he's got the full picture regarding our players and is best placed to make selection calls. He's earned enough trust to make these kind of decisions in the best interests of the National team's present and future. End of story for me.

The takes on this thread are laughable. 

McGregor has been outstanding in a Scotland shirt in the past few years. 

We have a shape / formula that works, there's no need to be pigeon holing anyone into the team. Having Ferguson as a sub is a nice problem to have.

The talk of moving McGinn or McTominay to accommodate him is crazy. Both have been pivotal for us behind the striker - so much so it's prompted McGinn's club manager to play him further forward. The suggestion of moving McTominay to striker is outrageous. His late midfield runs were great last campaign - you lose all of that when you put his back to goal.

Our starting XI at the moment is balanced, settled and has players largely playing in their favoured positions. Let's keep it like that.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

22 hours ago, The SandDancer said:

Hello, long time lurker but have now decided to sign up and post on here and contribute to discussions.

Long time lurker = previously banned poster, contribute = me, me, me, me, me.