Next Step(s)  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 08/05/2024 at 11:01, KingswellsRed said:

Genuinely interested what the people replying “VAR isn’t the problem, the operators are” think is going to improve, particularly with the technology Scottish football can afford.

Those people are morons. I will die on that hill.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Those people are morons. I will die on that hill.

"VAR isn't the problem, it's the people operating it" is one of these handy shorthands that tells you immediately that the person giving that opinion can be ignored to no detrimental impact on your intelligence and learning.

On 08/05/2024 at 11:01, KingswellsRed said:

Genuinely interested what the people replying “VAR isn’t the problem, the operators are” think is going to improve, particularly with the technology Scottish football can afford.

The technological limitations are actually less of an issue compared to the Junior grade clown referees who now run the show outside the top flight, because the SFA's 'elite' officials are too busy huddled over TV cameras every Saturday afternoon and still making a tit of those decisions anyway. There never was - and never will be - sufficiently competent (or not outrageously) officials to make VAR an improvement to overall standards of officiating in the SPFL. 

The only changes that could reasonably be implemented are some form of goal line technology at top flight games, and a 'semi-automatic' offside - based on the same principle of an effective setup of cameras. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The technological limitations are actually less of an issue compared to the Junior grade clown referees who now run the show outside the top flight, because the SFA's 'elite' officials are too busy huddled over TV cameras every Saturday afternoon and still making a tit of those decisions anyway. There never was - and never will be - sufficiently competent (or not outrageously) officials to make VAR an improvement to overall standards of officiating in the SPFL. 

The only changes that could reasonably be implemented are some form of goal line technology at top flight games, and a 'semi-automatic' offside - based on the same principle of an effective setup of cameras. 

There's been the same issue in England. I get along to the odd EFL game and a bit of National League North semi-regularly. The standard of refereeing has fallen off a cliff since VAR was introduced in the Premier League. Some of them are so bad you just feel sorry for them.

But nobody at the top end of the game gives a f**k about it, so it'll never be considered as an issue.

On 09/05/2024 at 15:10, VincentGuerin said:

"VAR isn't the problem, it's the people operating it" is one of these handy shorthands that tells you immediately that the person giving that opinion can be ignored to no detrimental impact on your intelligence and learning.

Very much seems to be the prevailing opinion on the playoff thread even from neutrals.

Last night showed again what was always obvious in that normal TV coverage is usually enough to check a decision Quick look. Does it clearly show what happened? Yes/no, play recommences accordingly in a matter of seconds. Not perfect but neither is VAR. Just better.

VAR improved my enjoyment of our match yesterday by arriving at the correct decision to overturn the penalty that wasn’t. 

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm incredibly pessimistic about the correct outcome winning here, but wouldn't it be great if the clubs decided to pass the voting over to the outcome of a poll of season ticket holders.

9 minutes ago, PTR said:

I'm incredibly pessimistic about the correct outcome winning here, but wouldn't it be great if the clubs decided to pass the voting over to the outcome of a poll of season ticket holders.

Certainly in Scotland that should be the case. Clubs rely on the income from the fans.

12 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Is every countries supporters all saying that "VAR isn't the problem, the people operating it are"? Almost makes you think that the problem might actually be VAR.

Pretty sure it was this thread I said it in but this kinda shout is the ultimate moron's shout.

I would be absolutely stunned if this resolution passes and if it does, I think there's a serious possibility of the referees going on strike given that VAR being removed will be career limiting for them.

England with "full fat" VAR - more cameras, full-time officials and screens in all the grounds are saying that the miniscule increase in accuracy of decisions is not worth the detrimental impact on the game.

Meanwhile in Scotland we have Janice and John filming the game with their Handycams, very few grounds with screens and Andrew Dallas.