Inheritance

3 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

This argument seems to imply that not only should government/society/whoever dictate what happens to your money after you die, they can also proscribe what you can do with it at any time while you're still alive. Where's the line to be drawn between buying your kids an ice cream and buying them a house? (Or at least helping out with the deposit?)

The distribution of wealth (both absolute and relative) is a subject that long predates communism, and maybe even capitalism itself. Did you ever read Aristophanes' "Plutus"?

I'm not giving my money to the the government/Tories after I die. 

I'm going to be selfish and leave it to my nephews and niece.

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Absolute nonsense. Having seen your contributions on other threads, I won't be bothering getting into a well of pedantry and obfuscation with you..

But in terms of having an equal society where unearned advantage is not inbuilt into the system, people being gifted the most accessible form of wealth while others need to give money to people like that to ever own a place to live, then, yes, people passing on homes (for home, read wealth) to their kids is 100% a problem. comparing it to racist dog-whistling is utterly risible.

You can label things any way you want. It's an easy punch to label people like me as jealous, and there's no 100% way to be sure that's not an element of it.

However, denying that families hoarding wealth through inheritance, which is often snowballed through marriage, creates an inherently unequal society is simply nonsense.

^^^ jealousy stained pish

3 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

While also wishing to avoid "a well of pedantry", and without endorsing your view, I think you mean envy stained pish.

Position accepted

Equality and fairness are two different concepts. 

People start life with an endowment of characteristics. Parental wealth or income is one but looks, intelligence, physical prowess etc are all sources of inequality. Should we be scrubbing everyone's faces and binding feet just because equality? 

19 hours ago, JMDP said:

Yeah, add me to the list of not just wanting a hefty inheritance tax but incredibly tight regulation and hefty punishments for avoiding. 

Personally, I'm lucky in my family that my parents are both in good health despite being older. I am one of six and and my brother will be in charge of everything when my parents pass. It will be really modest and I couldn't give a shit, I'm just glad I have been lucky to have the parents I have. We have encouraged them to spend everything they have in their advancing years so they can enjoy them but it's not in their nature to do that. 

For my missus, it's a slightly different position. Her father is minted and her and her siblings stand to inherit millions. You can already see it becoming shitty between family members and some of them talking as if the poor c**t is already dead. I really hope he gets rid of loads of it to charity tbh and fucks them all off. 

I'd be the same, mate.  

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Equality and fairness are two different concepts. 

People start life with an endowment of characteristics. Parental wealth or income is one but looks, intelligence, physical prowess etc are all sources of inequality. Should we be scrubbing everyone's faces and binding feet just because equality? 

A bit more straightforward to tax someone’s bank account than their good looks.

Edited by ICTChris

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A. It more straightforward to tax someone’s bank account than their good looks.

Four years training to be a tax inspector (standards have dropped). But only 8 pints of stella to glass someone. 

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

The people advocating for 100% inheritance tax, are they expecting the state to just seize all assets upon death?

While not necessarily advocating it myself, I would imagine that the idea behind 100% IHT is to encourage people to spend/give it away before they die. Nobody knows when you are going to die granted but, if you reach Granny Danger's age, your expecting the knock.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

While not necessarily advocating it myself, I would imagine that the idea behind 100% IHT is to encourage people to spend/give it away before they die. Nobody knows when you are going to die granted but, if you reach Granny Danger's age, your expecting the knock.

Oft, don't hold back now Albert will you?

I joked with my parents yesterday if they were to get a new dog it would probably outlive them (they’re 70 this year).

Whilst insensitive I don’t think I was being factually incorrect.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I joked with my parents yesterday if they were to get a new dog it would probably outlive them (they’re 70 this year).

Depends which kind of dog they get, Great Danes only last about 7 years, few others not so long either, some little dogs are around the 13/14 year mark.

Depends how healthy your parents are before getting them a present. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Average life expectancy for a 70 year old man is 86, for a woman it's 88.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/articles/lifeexpectancycalculator/2019-06-07

4 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The people advocating for 100% inheritance tax, are they expecting the state to just seize all assets upon death?

Sorry no, you can’t get your dead dads telly. It must be sold after his death and the proceeds given to the state.  The state will send round sentries after each death to inventory each estate to enforce this. 

2 hours ago, throbber said:

At least it wouldn't bring shame on them the way you have.

My folks took an equity release payment against their house from a company when my Dad was made redundant some 30 odd years ago. They were actually nervous about telling us, their 5 kids, as the house was going to be 'our' inheritance. Thankfully all of us were all for it as it gave them some cash to travel the world. Lost my Dad some years ago but my Mum, now 91, is still going strong. The compound interest will probably mean there will be no money left when she eventually goes.

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

Depends which kind of dog they get, Great Danes only last about 7 years, few others not so long either, some little dogs are around the 13/14 year mark.

Depends how healthy your parents are before getting them a present. 

🤣🤣🤣 I can’t really imagine @throbber ‘s 70yo parents wrestling a Great Dane round the park.