Is infidelity genetic?

A study has found that infidelity is approximately 40-60% genetic in origin. This is approximately the same as the genetic contribution to high blood pressure, depression or suffering migraines.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/dating-and-mating/202403/the-surprisingly-strong-link-between-genetics-and-infidelity

No specific gene has been identified as influencing infidelity and researchers pointed out that they are not suggesting that our behaviour is non modifiable. 

Will any P&Bers be using the “it’s in my genes!” defence when their other half catches them in flagrante?

Do any P&Bers have top shaggers as parents and feel their coitus-enthusiast families have the shagger genes?

I remember reading years ago about Ryan Giggs’ dad, who was a rugby league player from Cardiff. He was something of a legend for the Manchester based Swindon Lions team, a mercurial talent who could destroy teams in his own but had discipline issues and off field problems. You can see a couple of his highlights on this clip from 2 minutes showing the kind of athleticism, pace and balance that Giggs would display throughout his career. 

Giggs became estranged from his dad when his parents split up (hence the name change from Wilson to Giggs, his mothers maiden name). Giggs hasn’t spoken to his father for around 35 years, resulting from the traumatic split, which involved serial infidelity from Danny Wilson, and domestic abuse. When Giggs’ affair with his brothers wife came out his dad did a few interviews condemning his older son but in a few of them he basically admits that Ryan is behaving very similarly to the way he did.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12325045/amp/My-Ryans-rat-womaniser-fact-hes-chip-old-block-havent-spoken-years-unflinching-interview-Ryan-Giggss-father-Danny-admits-footballer-learned-lot-bad-ways-him.html

It’s just fascinating to me that Giggs obviously realised that being unfaithful to your wife causes terrible pain and problems and he reacts by cutting his father out of his life but he then behaves in almost exactly the same way. How much of it is conscious, who knows.

Not sure if “Don’t blame me it’s genetic” is the best or worst argument as your significant other is throwing things at you and telling you to f**k off.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I remember reading years ago about Ryan Giggs’ dad, who was a rugby league player from Cardiff. He was something of a legend for the Manchester based Swindon Lions team, a mercurial talent who could destroy teams in his own but had discipline issues and off field problems. You can see a couple of his highlights on this clip from 2 minutes showing the kind of athleticism, pace and balance that Giggs would display throughout his career. 

Giggs became estranged from his dad when his parents split up (hence the name change from Wilson to Giggs, his mothers maiden name). Giggs hasn’t spoken to his father for around 35 years, resulting from the traumatic split, which involved serial infidelity from Danny Wilson, and domestic abuse. When Giggs’ affair with his brothers wife came out his dad did a few interviews condemning his older son but in a few of them he basically admits that Ryan is behaving very similarly to the way he did.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12325045/amp/My-Ryans-rat-womaniser-fact-hes-chip-old-block-havent-spoken-years-unflinching-interview-Ryan-Giggss-father-Danny-admits-footballer-learned-lot-bad-ways-him.html

It’s just fascinating to me that Giggs obviously realised that being unfaithful to your wife causes terrible pain and problems and he reacts by cutting his father out of his life but he then behaves in almost exactly the same way. How much of it is conscious, who knows.

Giggs brother pumped a girl I used to work with while he was either married or in a relationship with another girl.

No sure if its genetic, but the Giggs lads were certainly up to all sorts.

14 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Fidelity is a relatively new concept compared to how long people have been shagging each other for.

^^^^Read "Sex At Dawn" type post.

You're right though. I initially rail against arguments of genetic inheritance as simplistic, speculative and scientifically bogus. In this case however it makes sense. Genes which are useful for survival and having the desire to f**k a'body is a no-brainer in that respect. Monogamy is a very, very recent social construct and I don't reckon its our natural state at all.

This sounds like people making pathetic excuses for their own loose morals.

When I look around the groups of people I grew up with I don’t see a correlation between those from families who have experienced separations/affairs and those whose parents remained together. I have seen plenty of people trying to mirror their parents happy marriage and wanting to settle for the first partner they get and then running into difficulties later on in their relationships though so I can imagine some people will just assume they will end up the way their parents did.

33 minutes ago, throbber said:

This sounds like people making pathetic excuses for their own loose morals.

When I look around the groups of people I grew up with I don’t see a correlation between those from families who have experienced separations/affairs and those whose parents remained together. I have seen plenty of people trying to mirror their parents happy marriage and wanting to settle for the first partner they get and then running into difficulties later on in their relationships though so I can imagine some people will just assume they will end up the way their parents did.

I don’t think the subjects of the study were trying to make excuses for their behaviour!

I do think that if you grow up with a parent modelling certain behaviour then that’s bound to have an impact.

9 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

They say that penguins mate for life but they all look exactly the same so what's the point in straying?

I am a man. I have a name. Oswald Cobblepot.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t think the subjects of the study were trying to make excuses for their behaviour!

I do think that if you grow up with a parent modelling certain behaviour then that’s bound to have an impact.

I honestly don’t know about the second part - at what point do you become responsible for your own actions in life? I don’t think the victims of infidelity would ever look at the situation and think “oh well It’s what his father did 30 years ago so this was always a possibility.” 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

That's learned behaviour, not genetics. This study looked at pairs of identical and non-identical twins and found that, where an identical twin had been unfaithful, the other twin was much more likely to also have been unfaithful than is the case for non-identical twins.

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Have you ever seen the inside of their mouths?

Terrifying. 

this-is-inside-a-penguins-mouth-v0-cy01mn5evyd81.jpg.cde107b3cb4e60633c0f0b1ac63912af.jpg

Your Halitosis is more terrifying mate.

49 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Have you ever seen the inside of their mouths?

Terrifying. 

this-is-inside-a-penguins-mouth-v0-cy01mn5evyd81.jpg.cde107b3cb4e60633c0f0b1ac63912af.jpg

Too bad that’s the mouth of a leatherback sea turtle then, eh?