Scotland Vs Northern Ireland

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Adams dropped in and linked up several times when he came on, so that just isn’t true. 

Something that Dykes just didn’t do in his entire time on the park. 

I didn't notice it then. He certainly didn't touch the ball for about 10 minutes when he first came on as I was watching him fairly closely in that spell. It was harder to tell the extent to which Dykes may have done that for me as I was at the complete other end of the stadium whereas we were attacking the goal right in front of me when Adams appeared.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didn't notice it then. He certainly didn't touch the ball for about 10 minutes when he first came on as I was watching him fairly closely in that spell. It was harder to tell the extent to which Dykes may have done that for me as I was at the complete other end of the stadium whereas we were attacking the goal right in front of me when Adams appeared.

I can’t overly remember at what time it was, but it was noticeable at a certain point that we were moving the ball better and Adams was central to that - it didn’t exactly get us anywhere though. It was possibly when Shankland came on tbf so he played a bit deeper. 

In fairness to Dykes you can’t tell on tv to what extent he was trying to move and not getting the ball, but he just didn’t seem involved at all. 

3 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I wanted to see some fresh legs before the 70th minute when we’re getting beat at home to Northern Ireland.

Take it you were happy with the subs and the amount of game time everybody got in friendly matches, aye?

Yeah, I didn't have an issue with it really. Maybe one of the goalkeepers, Craig Gordon in particular - he might not have been ready for that though. There was no-one I really wanted to see that didn't play decent minutes, maybe a bit more of Ralston - but nobody that's going to impact the Euro's for us. I wanted to see Shankland play the majority of the game against good opposition (The Netherlands) and we saw that and that was a big one for me. That was a big tick in the box for me.

The performance was disappointing last night, but I think it's not because we didn't play different players - our best players just didn't reach the levels they are capable of.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes did it a few times as did Adams. Both were fairly anonymous really but both did link the play occasionally.

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can’t overly remember at what time it was, but it was noticeable at a certain point that we were moving the ball better and Adams was central to that - it didn’t exactly get us anywhere though. It was possibly when Shankland came on tbf so he played a bit deeper. 

In fairness to Dykes you can’t tell on tv to what extent he was trying to move and not getting the ball, but he just didn’t seem involved at all. 

And in fairness to you / me you see a very different match in person to on tv. I haven't seen the game or even the highlights on tv from last night yet.

I do recall Adams dropping a little deeper once Shankland was on and helping to move the ball across the front of their back four at times but it wasn't going anywhere. In that respect he added nothing that Christie wasn't already doing. Armstrong (and occasionally Tierney I suppose) was the only one to have any impact in actually beating a man and getting supply into the box.

1 minute ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

We definitely improved with Adams, Shankland and Armstrong on the pitch, although it would have been difficult for Scotland to have got worse. Based on form, Dykes should be nowhere near starting for Scotland. 

It's not just based on form though. It will be partly based on tactics - so a bit of horses for courses. We might play 'stone age football' against Germany, like we played against Spain and then Dykes shoots to the top of the list given how good he was especially at home against Spain, doing a job on Rodri, but also to an extent in the away game. 

We knew they were going to have a lot of possession of the ball. We had to work hard that's what it came down to, we had to work as a team and we had to show we had character. We made it hard for them and that's exactly what we done. We had that mid-block, personally my role was to block off Rodri in the middle and make sure he doesn't control the game.

Lyndon Dykes, Scotland v Spain

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lyndon-dykes-reveals-rodri-special-29583785

Patterson got into good positions, collected some terrific passes, and then usually distributed the ball straight to an NI player or into the West or East stand.

I hadn't been aware that he wasn't getting games for his club, which might explain some lack of sharpness. But not why he was given so long on the pitch.

Edited by KirkieRR

There's no doubting Clarke has improved us no ends, but by f**k he frustrates the life out of me at times, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he started with Dykes up front (miraculously on his own 🤔) against that lot last night so he could rule him out of taking him to Germany, he offers absolutely nothing to our front line whatsoever! 

We had almost 80% of possession last night and done the square root of f**k all with it, it was excruciating to watch, I've went from believing we can get something against Germany to hiding in my cave again, because I now think we'll take a proper shagging! This is Scotland though so you never know, I'm not sure why the bookies have us at 4/6 to qualify out of the group through when we've never gotten past a group stage before in our puff! 

Interesting take on the error from JJ Bull (tactics analysis at the Athletic). You'll probably need Twitter/X or some kind of Tweetdeck to read the full thing, and I know that he and his ilk have as many detractors as fans, but thought it was worth posting none the less. Not that I particularly agree either, tbh.

https://twitter.com/jj_bull/status/1772722736206413984?s=19

20 minutes ago, Burattino Di Calzini said:

We definitely improved with Adams, Shankland and Armstrong on the pitch, although it would have been difficult for Scotland to have got worse. Based on form, Dykes should be nowhere near starting for Scotland. 

Radio described Dykes as having to feed on scraps. We had 83% possession! I don't know if he was slyly trying to make a point. I would pick Brown over Dykes as the 3rd striker if he is fit. 

12 minutes ago, immcinto said:

Radio described Dykes as having to feed on scraps. We had 83% possession! I don't know if he was slyly trying to make a point. I would pick Brown over Dykes as the 3rd striker if he is fit. 

I'm unclear on why you think the first two sentences are incompatible with one another. If we'd had the centre backs pass the ball to one another across their own penalty box for the rest of the game after the goal we'd have had 98% possession but it wouldn't be the strikers fault he hadn't been involved.

Dykes got about 3 or 4 opportunities in the time he was on the pitch to get involved. I'm not sure what you think he's meant to do about that? Come back into the midfield himself and leave no target up there for them to play into?

You're entitled to think we can do better than Dykes if you wish but last night wasn't about the strikers (any of them). It was about the complete inability of the midfield and wingbacks to create anything at all of note in the final third. He absolutely WAS feeding off scraps.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

20 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Interesting take on the error from JJ Bull (tactics analysis at the Athletic). You'll probably need Twitter/X or some kind of Tweetdeck to read the full thing, and I know that he and his ilk have as many detractors as fans, but thought it was worth posting none the less. Not that I particularly agree either, tbh.

https://twitter.com/jj_bull/status/1772722736206413984?s=19

That's a bit like saying if a shot from 40 yards went into the top corner of the net instead of high over the bar then it would have been a goal (or, in Patterson's case, if his crosses went into the box rather than behind the goal then they might've created a chance). If you're playing a pass like that in the box, then you have to have a great deal of certainty that it'll work or you'll always be more likely to concede than score - the judgement has to match the level of ability. Patterson has some raw ability which hasn't so far really translated into all round performances for a full/wingback. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

In what world did we "make heavy weather" of the wins over Georgia and Cyprus, apart from the literal heavy weather in the former?

What, we did well in 2 of the 5 remaining games?  It hardly challengers my point does it?

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm unclear on why you think the first two sentences are incompatible with one another. If we'd had the centre backs pass the ball to one another across their own penalty box for the rest of the game after the goal we'd have had 98% possession but it wouldn't be the strikers fault he hadn't been involved.

Dykes got about 3 or 4 opportunities in the time he was on the pitch to get involved. I'm not sure what you think he's meant to do about that? Come back into the midfield himself and leave no target up there for them to play into?

You're entitled to think we can do better than Dykes if you wish but last night wasn't about the strikers (and of them). It was about the complete inability of the midfield and wingbacks to create anything at all of note in the final third. He absolutely WAS feeding off scraps.

I think that's fair. I don't think any of the strikers can be negatively judged in this game in terms of not scoring. The delivery was terrible. Did our strikers even have a chance to hit a shot? I know Shankland had one or two chances, but even they I wouldn't judge overly harshly.