Fallout

scottsdad

Released on Amazon Prime yesterday (I refuse to say "dropped").

One episode in and I'm enjoying it. I never played the game so couldn't care less how similar it is or isn't; some folk went bonkers with The Last of Us over this. 

Walton Goggins is tremendous.

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Released on Amazon Prime yesterday (I refuse to say "dropped").

One episode in and I'm enjoying it. I never played the game so couldn't care less how similar it is or isn't; some folk went bonkers with The Last of Us over this. 

Walton Goggins is tremendous.

I also watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. 

I have played the game and what I've seen so far is unbelievably spot on. Be interesting to see where the story goes but the world they've created is perfect. 

I don't think this will get the same reaction as TLOU, as that had a fairly fixed story which the TV show retold. Fallout, the game, is far more loose and the TV show is telling a different story, just in the same world. 

I imagine the reaction will be the middle aged white guys complaining that the protagonists are a girl, a black guy and an undead ghoul :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

I have played the game and what I've seen so far is unbelievably spot on. Be interesting to see where the story goes but the world they've created is perfect. 

Yeah  must have been some budget to get everything spot on like that.

Like the game I hope it's just the lass wandering the wasteland doing side quests, just to confuse the non game players.

First two episodes are brilliant.  I think it probably works well as just a TV show for people who never played it whether they like games or not.  

1 hour ago, Homer Thompson said:

I also watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. 

I don't think this will get the same reaction as TLOU, as that had a fairly fixed story which the TV show retold. Fallout, the game, is far more loose and the TV show is telling a different story, just in the same world. 

I imagine the reaction will be the middle aged white guys complaining that the protagonists are a girl, a black guy and an undead ghoul :rolleyes:

It certainly looks a lot like the game, specifically Fallout 4. It makes sense that it would translate well to a TV show, considering the games are a series of quirky contained vignettes with an overarching story - perfect for the format.

Yeah, it occurred to me that the Forever Alone types will be fuming that there's a female protagonist. The gift that keeps on giving. I recently discovered that a group of them have been working on a mod that replaces all the non-white and/or female characters in Fallout 4 with caucasian male ones because women and black people are woke. Fucking hilarious.

Binged this in two sittings. Well worth a watch. Doesn't really capture the humour of the games except for 2 or 3 things, but it's still nice to see that they included so many game references and kept it reasonably faithful. I don't think it's on a par with TLOU, but still a solid 4/5

Watched the first two episodes yesterday and, aye, it's pretty good. Brings back memories of a lot of different aspects of the games, and not in the tokenistic way you normally get with these things. It does seem like an impressive amount of thought went into turning the games into a TV show, rather than making a show and wrapping it in Fallout-branded livery.

They could keep this going for a long time, considering how wild and woolly the wasteland can get.

Never played the games, purely because I've never been able to get into first person games, but I've always been interested in the story/lore so I was delighted to see this was going to be made. About half way through the season and it's brilliant fun

Very enjoyable, particularly the scattered, more obscure, references to the games throughout the series.

No surprise, but Walton Goggins steals every scene he's in. The opening scene with his daughter and the bomb dropping was excellent.

Spoiler

Could not be happier that New Vegas is next, wondering if we might get a more intact Mr. House than in the game judging by their plans at the end.

Really enjoyed it and was terrified as I was one who didn't really enjoy a lot of Fallout 4 a huge amount.

I’m a huge Fallout 4 fan. Absolutely love the game. TV has certainly 3 episodes in, anyway, did the game justice. Brilliant viewing. 

As others have mentioned Goggins is brilliant. As he is in everything he does. 

On 14/04/2024 at 21:43, Mr. Brightside said:

Very enjoyable, particularly the scattered, more obscure, references to the games throughout the series.

No surprise, but Walton Goggins steals every scene he's in. The opening scene with his daughter and the bomb dropping was excellent.

Hide contents

Could not be happier that New Vegas is next, wondering if we might get a more intact Mr. House than in the game judging by their plans at the end.

Spoiler

it will be more a what happens after New Vegas. With probably some before the game 

Was sceptical about this but reviews seem good so might give it a go. 

I'm on pleb Amazon Prime so do you get adverts every 10 minutes with Preston from Fallout 4 saying a settlement needs your help? 

Edited by Fuctifano

17 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Was sceptical about this but reviews seem good so might give it a go. 

I'm on pleb Amazon Prime so do you get adverts every 10 minutes with Preston from Fallout 4 saying a settlement needs your help? 

Pretty sure I'm on Peasant Prime and don't recall seeing any ads during any of the episodes.

There was a huge amount throughout the show that was absolutely bang on with the game depiction. Really looking forward to a 2nd season.

The other half had no idea what a Fallout world was and really enjoyed it too so it's not just for fans of the game.

I'll also agree that Goggins was brilliant 

I don't play video games but I've heard great things about Fallout. This felt like a great way to get access to the world created. I enjoyed the protagonist and her journey. It's a classic hero's journey quest where our heroine is naïve and idealistic at the start but learns to adapt and grow up a bit. I enjoyed Walton Goggins too, obviously.

The performances are excellent and the soundtrack brings a gentle absurdity to proceedings without being tonally jarring. It felt like a mature series instead of one written by children who hate the source material (looking at The Witcher writers here).

If I had one tiny wee wrinkle it would be the depiction of racial diversity in the pre-apocalyptic world. I don't know if the game did this, so perhaps it remains faithful to that, but seeing so many people of colour in prominent roles (and a black and asian woman as the scientist couple) took me out of it a little as I know how racist America was back then, even California. It was the 1960's after all. It's perhaps a nod to the world building too, which could have had a little bit more exposition to it. 

The writing of Lucy's character is a great example of how to write a female character. She was smart, resourceful and ultimately kind and noble, but she wasn't invincible. She messed up, got into scrapes and occasionally needed rescuing. It meant that there were genuine stakes and I was rooting for her the  entire time. The black male character is well written too. He's ultimately good too, but makes some very morally questionable decisions. His journey is also different in that he hasn't chosen it. I'm looking forward to seeing them both in the next season. It's always great seeing Kyle McLachlan in anything. A superb actor.

6 hours ago, velo army said:

If I had one tiny wee wrinkle it would be the depiction of racial diversity in the pre-apocalyptic world. I don't know if the game did this, so perhaps it remains faithful to that, but seeing so many people of colour in prominent roles (and a black and asian woman as the scientist couple) took me out of it a little as I know how racist America was back then, even California. It was the 1960's after all. It's perhaps a nod to the world building too, which could have had a little bit more exposition to it. 

But that’s it, it’s not the 1960s. In the fallout timeline the bombs drop starting in 2077. It’s just an alternate timeline massively influenced by some aspects of 1950s-60s Americana. The games have tons of things referencing the time before the war but don’t tend to have the direct flashbacks to the past like the show does so it’s hard to say for definite whether there was as much direct racism as there was in the real world time it’s inspired by. There’s plenty of xenophobia, Red-scare attitudes and nationalism due to there still being so much war between countries before the bombs drop though.