Cove v Alloa Saturday nights TV special

Hopefully not too early to start a thread.

Unlike last week, a draw doesn't really suit both teams so should make for a good game. Cove need to win so if we can frustrate them we could end up with a few chances on the counter attack.

Listened to our pod and I'd like to see the front four we finished with last week start. Only other changes I'd make is possibly Cammy for Sutherland although I envy whoever is up against Doyle but I think Cammy is a bit better defensively.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Hopefully not too early to start a thread.

Unlike last week, a draw doesn't really suit both teams so should make for a good game. Cove need to win so if we can frustrate them we could end up with a few chances on the counter attack.

Listened to our pod and I'd like to see the front four we finished with last week start. Only other changes I'd make is possibly Cammy for Sutherland although I envy whoever is up against Doyle but I think Cammy is a bit better defensively.

Can certainly make a case for that swap at LB. Can make a case for Ethan there too though, or further up!

I would leave Taylor Steven wide. He is well capable central but he has been so effective on the flank and a big part of our improved performances. I'd be loathe to change that. 

Hopefully get a big performance from the boys anyway. We are good enough to win but equally a defeat could make things very sticky indeed the next couple of weeks. Mon the Wasps 🐝

Edited by Waspie

So the Accies have done us a huge favour and by a stroke of massive unfairness we now have the opportunity to grab pole position for the play off place, all of this despite getting pummelled last weekend and having a threadbare squad through piss poor decision making. 

Knowing how Hartley’s luck works I fully expect us to get the win now 

Under the weather so didn’t head up today but what a brilliant win to take us into the playoffs and guarantee 3rd. 

We started well and were moving the ball with confidence. Felt 1-0 was about right at halftime and the early 2nd half goal put us in total control. I thought the double change bringing on Scougs and Buchanan was the exact right ones to make but we unfortunately completely lost our way for the next 15 minutes or so conceding the 2 goals. Have to say our reaction to Megginson’s goal is probably the worst we’ve reacted to conceding all season and we were a shambles in that period. 

Massive credit to the team to get back in to it though and did think we looked the most likely in the last 5-10 minutes with a great chance for Buchanan before Bobby Goals worked his magic and won it for us. Good delivery from Sutherland but the header from Wales is class - this kid is a special talent.  

Playoffs (and grabbing 3rd) is a massive achievement for a squad that was so much less than the sum of its parts in the first quarter of the season. Regardless of what happens over the next 3 or 4 weeks it’s been a brilliant start to Andy’s managerial career and he deserves so much credit for bringing together the team and the support. 

Paul Hartley and his wee hobbit mate McGowan are a cancer to the club.

Apparently the “Man of the Match” Bilbo McGowan tried to throw Renoylds under the bus. 

23 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Apparently the “Man of the Match” Bilbo McGowan tried to throw Renoylds under the bus. 

Typifies everything that’s wrong with the club and the negativity that hangs over the ‘coaching staff’, it’s obviously deep rooted.

I was actually staggered the final score was 2-3 as I gave up when we went 2 down 🤣

Felt like it must have been really enjoyable for neutrals but a bit more frustrating for Alloa who had to win it twice! But what a high at the end. 

Whenever we got the ball in attacking positions we were extremely dangerous and could have had more goals. We did struggle further back for control in midfield and had dropped out of the game after going 2-0 up. Still looked like job done anyway until we allowed Cove back into it with a gift and we were rattled for a spell there. It's to the great credit of the players that they bounced back and started creating chances again. The cross from Sutherland and header from Wales for the winner were fantastic, as indeed were Steven and Wales for the second. 

It's a terrific achievement to be back in the play offs and with two games to spare. Andy has been superb and the team (and several players) unrecognisable from what he inherited. 

When we are at it we have a side capable of giving anyone we might meet here a game. At the same time we can also be quite vulnerable at times. The lack of control and a cool head in the middle is an issue against better teams and Cove had us in there today. That's something to look at. But everyone involved today gave everything and it was a huge win. Well done Andy and the lads, absolutely brilliant 🐝

Edited by Waspie

A dilemma for the armchair footie fan - City/Chelsea or Cove/Wasps ?? Obviously, most will go for the Cup semi-final, but if you're a grassroots follower (and everyone reading this is) the L1 game did not disappoint.  There's something fascinating about watching talent before it has blossomed;  early footage of Messi, Pele or even Best shows a diamond, but rough as if just pulled from the ground.  Wales, Steven, Buchanan and the young manager all make mistakes, but you can't ignore that in time they'll all go on to greater things. They've got the skill. ability and confidence to win a game that was slipping away. Enjoy them while they're still here.

I'm glad I took the decision to travel up rather than the easier, cheaper option of the telly.

I hadn't been to Cove's ground before so it was one to tick off the list. I didn't think it was up to much really, better than Edinburgh City's but that isn't saying much.

We generally played well, but completely lost our way in the middle 15-20 minutes of the second half. Fair play to Cove for taking advantage and deservedly got back in it.

At 2-2 I would have taken a draw, but thankfully the team had other ideas as we started putting passes together and got a grip on the game again.

Both of Bobby Wales' goals were excellent, with him and Taylor Steven we could prove a handful in the play offs.

yip ! thought we had blown it and would settle for a draw but this team had other ideas,

Shame about the dip that led to cove's goals but must have been a good game on the telly  Bobby wales we will miss you

thanks for gracing an Alloa shirt ,looking forward to the last few games and final efforts  .

5 minutes ago, Sixtyten said:

I'm glad I took the decision to travel up rather than the easier, cheaper option of the telly.

I hadn't been to Cove's ground before so it was one to tick off the list. I didn't think it was up to much really, better than Edinburgh City's but that isn't saying much.

We generally played well, but completely lost our way in the middle 15-20 minutes of the second half. Fair play to Cove for taking advantage and deservedly got back in it.

At 2-2 I would have taken a draw, but thankfully the team had other ideas as we started putting passes together and got a grip on the game again.

Both of Bobby Wales' goals were excellent, with him and Taylor Steven we could prove a handful in the play offs.

It looked like the foot came off the gas a bit at 2-0, which always gives me The Fear. Seen so many games where we've seemed to concentrate on defending a lead around the hour mark and it hardly ever works out well. Thankfully they had a bit left in the tank!

Is Bobby Wales the best young goalscorer at Alloa since Stevie May?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

96340783-f04a-45f1-a5cf-a38100d4fc08_tex

Better to be pessimistic and be happy to be surprised than overconfident and disappointed. About a minute and a half away from disappointment today. Quite pleased we have two dead rubbers now.

9 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Better to be pessimistic and be happy to be surprised than overconfident and disappointed. About a minute and a half away from disappointment today. Quite pleased we have two dead rubbers now.

Big lols if we can get a win on Star Wars Day  :P