Your Oldest Item of Clothing

Finally, the thread(s) that everyone's been waiting for! See title.

Do you have a pair of pants that remember Original Recipe Rangers? Perhaps none of your socks are older than a single day? Maybe you still have the shirt your great-great-grandpa stole from the dressing room after Dundee last won the Scottish Cup (j/k, he was too young). Confess all; we don't judge.

I've got a very studenty sweater that celebrated its thirtieth birthday last year. It's still intact, although the arms hang down to my knees, but I'll wear it around the house if it gets a bit chilly. Only bought it because I stupidly left the house without a jacket on a freezing day, so it's done well. Hopefully somebody's got something more interesting/disgusting than this.

I still have a shawl that was knitted for when I was “christened” aged a few weeks when some dude tried to splash some water on my napper. 

I still have a St Mirren 1977 centenary scarf which is one of my oldest personal mementos that hasn’t withered away or been lost in countless house moves. 

I've got an overcoat that I wore to school and was bought from Flip of Hollywood about 1989. And a 1988 vintage Meadowbank home strip. 

I don't think either fit. 

My leather jacket turns 30 in a few weeks. Been in the cupboard mainly for about the last ten to fifteen. Tried it on last month and got a vicious slagging off the kids for having a midlife crisis. I looked fuckin cool though 

@BFTD did you get the idea for this thread after seeing photies of lots of old smelly trainers in 'The Sellik Hoose' ?

I have a Barbour full-length stockman's waxed coat which I received for my 40th birthday. I'm now 63. Even though it badly needs re-waxed and has a few small nicks and tears, it still gets regular outings on windy, rainy days and my wife howls like a feckin' hyena when a rearward gust of wind lifts the storm cape onto the back of my napper and makes me look like an annoyed frilled dragon.

frilleddragon.jpg.1d3b84e79a77beca3838166809fed785.jpgETA - Frilled, not Komodo......D'oh !

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

@BFTD did you get the idea for this thread after seeing photies of lots of old smelly trainers in 'The Sellik Hoose' ?

I have a Barbour full-length stockman's waxed coat which I received for my 40th birthday. I'm now 63. Even though it badly needs re-waxed and has a few small nicks and tears, it still gets regular outings on windy, rainy days and my wife howls like a feckin' hyena when a rearward gust of wind lifts the storm cape onto the back of my napper and makes me look like an annoyed Komodo dragon.

So you say.

The Pope vs. the Wind Photo Gallery

Oldest piece of clothing I actually still wear is a ‘Brady 12’ New England Patriots T Shirt bought in a Las Vegas sports shop in 2009, and it’s still going strong. Indestructable. Only wear it lying around the house these days, the print on the front and back is well cracked, faded, and not suitable for public wear, but the damn thing just won’t chuck it… a bit like Brady himself, after winning the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay.

Oldest non-wearing items are a 1979 genuine team-worn St Mirren Umbro shirt,  the Led Zeppelin T Shirt I bought at Knebworth in 1979, and a 1983 Manly Sea Eagles rugby league jersey. Have also still got my 1970s denim jacket adorned with sewn-on heavy rock band patches in a bag in the loft.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I have a Barbour full-length stockman's waxed coat which I received for my 40th birthday. I'm now 63. Even though it badly needs re-waxed and has a few small nicks and tears, it still gets regular outings on windy, rainy days and my wife howls like a feckin' hyena when a rearward gust of wind lifts the storm cape onto the back of my napper and makes me look like an annoyed Komodo dragon.

It must have revived the memory of the last time I cleared out my underwear drawer and found a pair of M&S boxers. I don't think I've made an M&S purchase in a decade or more. Thankfully I was able to post about my ancient jumper to avoid telling anyone on here about that embarrassment!

Here's the Sellick Hoose, for anyone who missed it. Worth the click: https://www.onthemarket.com/details/14721898/#/photos/11

I don't think I've owned that many pairs of shoes in my entire 40+ years.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

My leather jacket turns 30 in a few weeks. Been in the cupboard mainly for about the last ten to fifteen. Tried it on last month and got a vicious slagging off the kids for having a midlife crisis. I looked fuckin cool though 

Funnily enough, I have a similar leather motorcycle jacket that also turned 30 this year…along with some gloves. I did have a 36 year-old league Bomber jacket until I gifted it to my kid as it was now too small for me (amazing how leather shrinks…).

In terms of stuff I still wear regularly, I have a pair of shorts I bought for football training when I started playing 11’s again circa 2007 that are in better condition than most of the pairs I have bought since. Must have been used and washed at least once a fortnight since then, still wear them when on the cross trainer.

My son was looking for a pair of brown shoes so we took a look in my shoe cabinet.  There were a half-dozen pairs of so that were from the early 2000's.  He's now the new owner of a pair of brown ankle boots from Next - the price tag was still on them b.t.w £49.something.  

Currently wearing a pair of breeks which would be circa 1995.

Hoping to fit into my favourite jeans again soon which were purchased in Gap in San Fransico on 26th April 1999 (I know that as I went back to my hotel put the telly on and Jill Dando had been murdered) I have a nice tartan shirt from late 90's that I like to wear on nights oot now and then too. In fact the favourite jeans and nice shirt remain my favourite combo.

I do have pants from last century.....some of which are showing signs of wear and may not see out this decade.

I have a bag of clothing that I wore to Ibiza (18 years ago) that I cherish dearly - and due to weight loss it all fits me again. Some of it will reintroduced to my attire, some I wouldn't get away with as a 36 year old man.

The corduroy Armani overshirt and the MHI live your life t-shirt being the two main examples at both ends of the spectrum.