Queen's Park v Airdrie - the season's climax

I was hopeful for the Arbroath game, but didn't see a five goal spanking on the cards.

Great that it's back in our own hands now and even better than that Airdrie will have at least one eye on the playoffs. 

Big Dunc will maybe contribute to the debate but, Airdrie, feel free to freewheel through this one.

A QP win and Paton to end his goal drought.

I cannot wait for this season to end.

Airdrie will want momentum going into the playoffs but hopefully will rest a few players or sub them earlier than usual in the game.

Let's hope we can muster a fit back four and play with the same enterprise as we did at Arbroath. 

Can't believe I will be wishing Morton well on Friday. Feels a bit dirty 😛.

We have been dreadful at home. Three wins in seventeen, two of them against Arbroath. Inverness also honking at home, but we have to work on the assumption that they’ll win and take care of our own business. I like Links Park, but I’d rather not be heading up there on Tuesday night. 

I have absolutely no idea what I’m expecting to happen here. All I know is that it’s already been a long old week and it’s only Monday. 

Friday night, home game, what can possibly go wrong? Our home record is not unexpectedly awful and has been for years. Visiting teams play out their skin at the National Stadium and the sooner we are out of there the better. Our best hope is that Airdrie couldn't care less and Big Bad Oakley gets revenge up north.

Pretty certain we'll be resting a lot of our main players - McCabe fielded basically a reserve side in the same situation last season. 

Todorov didn't play against Dundee Utd, neither did Frizzell or Ballantyne, who seem to be carrying injures (the latter two didn't play the week before either).  Likely McCabe and Aiken will play at least part of the game to get some minutes in before the playoffs, as they've both been out a while - about six months in Aiken's case.  Would not expect this to be a strong Airdrie team at all, but this also means that some of the fringe players might be seeing a chance to stake a claim for some time in the playoffs if someone takes a knock and/or make the case for being kept on next season.

The number of games champ teams need to play in these playoffs is a joke - and most are running on fumes by the time the final comes around... so some astute business for Airdrie to have the feet up on Friday night... it's just common sense! 

12 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Airdrie will want momentum going into the playoffs but hopefully will rest a few players or sub them earlier than usual in the game.

Let's hope we can muster a fit back four and play with the same enterprise as we did at Arbroath. 

Can't believe I will be wishing Morton well on Friday. Feels a bit dirty 😛.

The momentum thing has become a bit of a cliche, and obviously no team wants to lose at any time, but I'm not convinced it makes any difference. And certainly not to the extent that you'd risk players in a meaningless game just to gain momentum.

Last year we went into the play-offs with 1 win in the last 4 games, and then by half-time on the Tuesday night we were 5-0 up on Falkirk. Having a fresh, well prepared team counts for far more than results in the weeks prior.

The only reason I'd care about a win on Friday is that I think QP will be stronger than ICT next year if they stay up, so I'd rather they went down. But not enough to risk players on Friday. Plus I think both will win the play-offs in any event so it's probably irrelevant.

1 minute ago, da_no_1 said:

I'm torn between hoping for a bit of relegation Karma for "DT23" and pissing my pants at large Dunc kicking around Cove etc next season.

I had similar sentiments on another thread, the big takeaway here is that it will be tremendous banter either way.

20 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If Airdrie want to rest a number of players and are a wee bit short of numbers, I'm happy to come on loan without payment. Play me in goal.

To be fair you'd still be better on cross balls than big Robbie

Hemfrey
Watson/Rowley McCabe ATS Ballantyne
                  GavGal 
         Aiken            Donnell 
O'Connor Gallagher Dunlop 

And maybe see the likes of Spalding, Cassidy and Watt from the bench. 
It will somehow still be 1-1. Queen's Park will stay up whether through the draw being enough or winning the play-offs. The two sides will play each other in the first game of the League Cup and the league season. 

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Hemfrey
                  GavGal 
         Aiken            Donnell 

It will somehow still be 1-1. Queen's Park will stay up whether through the draw being enough or winning the play-offs. The two sides will play each other in the first game of the League Cup and the league season. 

And the score will be 1-1 in both games.

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Hemfrey
                  GavGal 
         Aiken            Donnell 

You might have the goalie wrong!

image.png.379484222e682db159867e23dcff1f37.png

15 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

The number of games champ teams need to play in these playoffs is a joke - and most are running on fumes by the time the final comes around... so some astute business for Airdrie to have the feet up on Friday night... it's just common sense! 

The side that finishes second in the Championship will have played the same number of games at the SPL club. 

8 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

The side that finishes second in the Championship will have played the same number of games at the SPL club. 

Yeah - fair play. It's more about the intensity of the schedule..

Is there a cash gate for this match for home supporters, or do I need to buy a ticket online in advance?

My son and I have been keeping an eye on QP since his school was invited earlier in the season, quite fancy coming along if he's not totally knackered after a week at the school.