East Kilbride v Stranraer

52 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Normally if I saw there was 25 minutes of highlights I wouldn’t bother but that flew in. It’s easy for fans commentating on their team to become annoying very quickly but Brian and Lawrence get that balance of passion and fairness perfectly. The reaction of not being able to take another five minutes of it when Stranraer went 2-1 up was perfect, incredibly relatable. 

Probably one of the best highlight packages throughout the season but yesterday's was epic. A big GIRUY to East Kilbride and their diving tactics. Great scenes at the end.

Just now, EdinburghBlue said:

Financial disparities in Scottish football. Apparently there was a £100k bonus pool for the EK squad had they won yesterday. The Stranraer squad got a free beer in the Stair Park after the game.

It was £100k worth of fried chicken.

Highlights class as usual. Was a bit worried the commentators might just spend 25 minutes talking absolute pish after saying Balde hit the deck when he clearly didn't and that Stranraer should have had a penalty which was never one. Calmed down though and I can only imagine how heightened the emotions must have been.

On the third goal, I really find this Stranraer squad quite an unlikeable bunch. You've just sealed league status and you're almost entirely encircled by your own fans but the guy runs across the park to celebrate right in front of the EK support. If the team had dedicated as much effort to being good at football this year as they have to being sore winners, perhaps yesterday wouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

Hope Balde's alright. Glad he missed those chances but he'll surely have had a night of anguished replays in the mind. For the first you can at least say it maybe just hits the wrong part of his foot. For the second though he had time to take one, maybe even two, touches and bury it.

Just now, Clyde_MM said:

On the third goal, I really find this Stranraer squad quite an unlikeable bunch. You've just sealed league status and you're almost entirely encircled by your own fans but the guy runs across the park to celebrate right in front of the EK support. 

While I somewhat agree. The guy that scored the 3rd is a former EK player who had been getting it tight after coming on the park. The celebrations at the second goal were exactly what you'd expect to see with the home support.

14 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Financial disparities in Scottish football. Apparently there was a £100k bonus pool for the EK squad had they won yesterday. The Stranraer squad got a free beer in the Stair Park after the game.

And a party at the manager's house in Symington that night. Wife's pal lives there too and were trying to work out which house it was.

I've seen the pics - the board member at the party looks almost unconscious.

And those highlights are the best thing I've seen this season. 

15 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Probably one of the best highlight packages throughout the season but yesterday's was epic. 

100% agree. Well worth a watch. Best commentators and the after match bantz outstanding.

Genuine tear in my eye watching and listening to Stranraers second goal.

Amazing stuff, let's hope you're as shit next season. No fucking way I'm wanting to go through that experience.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Right then, how long do we have.......... whilst there wasn't much actual footballing quality that was one of the best games I've seen for entertainment in a very long time. Glad I decided to pop along the A75 now. Well done Stranraer. Thoroughly deserved.

EK for me were well on top early on, dominating the ball for the first 25 minutes or so but other than an offside effort Budanaukas fumbled into his own net they did nothing with it. Midway through the first half Stranraer started to get on top. Not with any great football, just getting the ball up the wings and into the box and EK seemed clueless at how to stop it. Opening goal was an absolute worldy from Gallagher. Half cleared corner struck across himself on the full volley over the keeper and in at the far corner. Stranraer could and maybe should have added one or two more before the interval.

You'd have thought EK would come out guns blazing but the 2nd half was the complete opposite of the first. It was Stranraer who continued to dominate and in the first 20 minutes or so they must have missed 4 or 5 gilt edged chances to go two up. And then it turned on its head again. I think the Stranraer legs went. There were a few obviously cramping up and the subs, with the exception of Orr who is slow but effective weren't as good as the players they replaced. Matty Grant and Dean Hawkshaw had been running things for Stranraer but they both ran out of steam. The boy Gilmartin who replaced Grant genuinely looked like a competition winner. Every touch gave the ball away or shanked it out of the pitch! More on him later.

EK took over and headed an equaliser from close range. At which point you could only see one winner. With about 2 minutes to go Joao Balde missed the easiest sitter I've ever seen. I'm still incredulous he missed. For the only time all game the two Stranraer centre backs, Ross and McQueen, misjudged a cross ball and the ball dropped for Balde all on his own five yards out and he somehow shanked it wide. I'd have scored!

By extra time Stranraer were out on their feet and it was a question of when EK would score. And yet they didn't. Budanaukas must have made 3 or 4 outstanding saves. The centre backs were strong and they hung on. With 5 mins to go our man Balde managed his 2nd entrant in Worst Miss of the Season in the same game! Clean through on goal with SPFL status beckoning he missed the target by about 3 yards! It cost them big time. Out of nowhere Stranraer wriggled through for a half chance It was smuggled wide for a corner and when it came in somehow Craig Ross bundled it in at the back post. Didn't look the cleanest of headers, nobody cares though. It went in. There were scenes.

For good measure as EK desperately tried to push for an equaliser Stranraer broke again. They had a man over but opted to go to the corner flag unsurprisingly. Except somehow he wriggled out of the corner flag area leaving two EK players trailing, laid it back to everyone's favourite competition winner sub and he got it bang on the money, curling a shot round Truesdale (who was showing him two thirds of the goal to be fair) and it was done.

For good measure we then had a complete heads gone. Separate post on that in a minute. EK had a coach sent off and then Lewis Spence who actually swung a blow at referee Craig Napier, albeit he clearly didn't know it was the ref who had shoved him away from a confrontation when he turned and swung out at him. He had to go too (somehow via a 2nd yellow rather than straight red).

Again, well done Stranraer. Over 120 minutes they had the better chances and deserved to win. They should have been out of sight in the middle of the game but Balde will be haunted by those misses in the end.

EDIT - And just to put the tin lid on it I've now discovered said "competition winner" Aiden Gilmarton was at EK for the 1st half of the season. As was Stranraer's best defender on the day, Chris McQueen. Bet they enjoyed their days!

Great report! :thumsup2

"That must be the worst miss I have ever seen...in my life!". 😂 

The only thing more embarrassing than Balde's missed sitters was Robertson's blatant dive in the 2nd half. That alone justifies Stranraer's win. 

14 hours ago, Blue gal said:

The behaviour of Kennedy when EK equalised was very very poor, up on the wall giving it to the home support .. others not much better.... no class at all 

shocked, shocked I tell you

18 minutes ago, AUcal said:

While I somewhat agree. The guy that scored the 3rd is a former EK player who had been getting it tight after coming on the park. The celebrations at the second goal were exactly what you'd expect to see with the home support.

Ah right, cheers! Didn't realise there was a bit of history between the player and EK. Makes a bit more sense now

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Clyde_MM said:

Highlights class as usual. Was a bit worried the commentators might just spend 25 minutes talking absolute pish after saying Balde hit the deck when he clearly didn't and that Stranraer should have had a penalty which was never one. Calmed down though and I can only imagine how heightened the emotions must have been.

On the third goal, I really find this Stranraer squad quite an unlikeable bunch. You've just sealed league status and you're almost entirely encircled by your own fans but the guy runs across the park to celebrate right in front of the EK support. If the team had dedicated as much effort to being good at football this year as they have to being sore winners, perhaps yesterday wouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

Hope Balde's alright. Glad he missed those chances but he'll surely have had a night of anguished replays in the mind. For the first you can at least say it maybe just hits the wrong part of his foot. For the second though he had time to take one, maybe even two, touches and bury it.

It was a huge game with emotions running high. Both sides over-celebrated. Fans near me were irate at Kennedy's jumping on the wall of the stand to celebrate the EK equaliser. But fair do's to him for the gracious tweet later in the day congratulating Stranraer. 

IMG_1132.thumb.jpeg.48d4712f4051f3ebc15707cd512e5968.jpeg

Edited by EdinburghBlue

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Moonball said:

Excellent highlights. Most of what I said in my earlier post was pretty accurate. The old memory not quite away yet!

Disappointed no camera footage of the antics of the EK bench at the equaliser though. A manager jumping on a stand wall to do GIRUY's at the crowd isnt something I've seen before. Or maybe it was considered 'politic' to edit that out? 

Also not sure why well known Dundee United fan Lorraine Kelly, who genuinely goes to watch them whenever she can, is listed as a famous EK fan at the end. 😂

Edited by Skyline Drifter