Raith Rovers πŸ”΅βšͺ️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle πŸ”΄πŸŸ‘ [Rovers progress on penalties]

45 minutes ago, renton said:

Having said that, I thought Corr did really well when he came on.

He did indeed. My only worry with him coming on was whether his shoulder remained where it's meant to be.Β 

4 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I really dont know why Murray persists with Rudden.

A fair percentage of Rover's supporters don't know either.πŸ€”πŸ₯Ί He flatters to deceive in the main.

Raith looked well set for a comfortable win and until Thistle removed Neilson , Raith pretty much had midfield and attacking control. Two cracking goals but it was quite funny that a long ball to Graham sent Raith's central defence astray, for

the cute header by Robinson and nice touch from Alston. That means the game is all to play for on Friday but injuries may well have an impact.

Rudden was a curious sub and Calum Smith still seems a shadow of the player with Airdrie.Β 

Β 

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Rudden was a curious sub and Calum Smith still seems a shadow of the player with Airdrie

Smith is a strange one sometimes he's absolutely on fire other times we bring him on and he's totally ineffectiveΒ 

I think Smith suffers from the same as Hamilton in that we don't play to their strengths. Smith being asked to hold the ball up is just giving the opposition possession again. Hamilton with high balls to his head and no one around him within 20 yards is similar.Β 

Did anyone manage to understand what the tannoy lad was saying every time there was a Partick sub? It sounded like he was suffering from tourettes or something similarΒ 

59 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

I’m maybe generally pessimistic but not sure where the Thistle fans’ view that they could have been β€œ3 or 4 down at halftime” comes from?

I thought we slightly edged the 1st half and took our chances while Thistle slightly edged 2nd half and deserved their goal.

Im a bit pished and all but can’t mind their keeper having much to do while Big Kev was called upon several times… 

We are well in the driving seat with home leg to come but I’m not buying for a minute that we deserved any more that a one goal advantage going into 2nd leg

Agree with that. Some mad overreactions by those of a red & yellow persuasion tonight.

A fairly even game where Rovers took their chances and Thistle didn’t (partly because Dabrowski had a couple of excellent saves).

That said, it’s going to be a very tough ask for us on Friday. Raith are a good team with a far deeper squad and we’ve struggled in Kirkcaldy for a long, long time. It’s a huge ask to win through there, and I feel like Raith will probably have too much on the night.

If you’d said when the team lines came out that both teams would make subs around the hour mark, one team would look substantially better and the other a lot worse I would have agreed that that was a very likely outcome.Β 
But I would have assumed it would be Raith getting stronger going by the apparent strength in depth on our bench and lack of depth on Particks, not the other way round.Β 
Β 

Fantastic first half from us, some of the movement of the ball was fantastic.Β 
with some better decision making we could have been well clear.Β 
Robinson got extremely lucky to fall the way he did and still manage to lay the ball off but sometimes that’s what you need in football. It certainly changed the momentum of the game.Β 
Β 

Looking forward to Friday now, if the performance from the first half is replicated we’ll be safe enough.Β 
I’ll not think about what happens if we play like we did for the last half hour.Β 

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Β 

Did anyone manage to understand what the tannoy lad was saying every time there was a Partick sub? It sounded like he was suffering from tourettes or something similarΒ 

It’s a sponsor; McTears Auctioneers, and they say β€œgoing, going, gone” before announcing the sub.

Very annoying, tbh, but if they’re paying us a few quid then oh well.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

It’s a sponsor; McTears Auctioneers, and they say β€œgoing, going, gone” before announcing the sub.

Very annoying, tbh, but if they’re paying us a few quid then oh well.

Is that what it was, it just sounded like a noise in the Colin Weir stand. Fair play if you're getting cash for it.Β 

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

I would also book goalies when they make a save then throw themselves to ground for 15 seconds. Its bloody infuriating and Dabrowski was guilty of it on several straightforward saves tonight!

He was just taking mini power naps.

Rovers should have been out of sight by half time with the chances we created on the break. Towards the end of the first half Thistle started playing more high balls down the middle towards our box and that seemed to be working for them. They continued that in the second half and they probably should have got a draw if it wasn’t for those saves by Dabrowski. I thought Bannigan did well when he came on, and McBeth looked better when he was moved to midfield in the second half. I thought Doolan was good at seeing weaknesses in his team and doing something about it. Thistle’s support was right up for the game too.Β 

Onto Friday we go.

I wouldn't have thumbed my nose at a draw before kick off, so got to be pleased with the narrow win.

The only disappointment was that our subs didn't in any way freshen things up - they just made us less composed in terms of shape and ball retention.Β 

Looking forward to Friday. All to play for.

42 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Didnt notice if Dylan Easton was on the bench tonight.Was he?

If he was I'm a bit surprised he didnt get a run out.

Struggling with a back injury for ages.Β