Clyde FC Season 24/25

Kyle Connell is one I hoped we would have been interested in during previous summers. He was excellent for Cove in the cup game last season.

There are definitely a lot of poorer attackers at this level.

I’m relatively pleased with that. Hasn’t been a prolific goalscorer throughout his career but has played at a higher level for most of it and I believe been a relatively decent player. I’m not directly comparing the two, but you only have to look at the impact Michael Ruth had at Dumbarton to show the impact a generally good forward can have on a team at this level, even if they’re not a prolific scorer.

Posted (edited)

That's a belting signing and one I'd hoped we would be having a look at but, given he was under contract until 2025 at Cove and Burrell seems to be leaving them, felt it unlikely. 

ETA: £19 to get in is absolutely preposterous, by the way. £17 was already too much and this takes the biscuit. Not impressed!

Edited by the_bully_wee

Surely we could have used the benefit of the mystery benefactor to subsidise the prices as a thank you to the fans for all the shite we’ve put up with of late. £19 for a Scottish League 2 game is taking the piss. 

Posted (edited)

Kyle is a very good signing, we had him on loan few years back. He should be scoring 15-20 goals in League 2 if he avoids injury which is his weak point.

Oh wait till the Bonnyrigg fans find out about the £19 !

Edited by Beachcomber

51 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Surely we could have used the benefit of the mystery benefactor to subsidise the prices as a thank you to the fans for all the shite we’ve put up with of late. £19 for a Scottish League 2 game is taking the piss. 

£19 is an embarrassment and a complete affront to decency! I would have been fine with season tickets going up but keeping walk ups the same. Even then, £17 for League Two is outrageous enough.

39 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Kyle is a very good signing, we had him on loan few years back. He should be scoring 15-20 goals in League 2 if he avoids injury which is his weak point.

Oh wait till the Bonnyrigg fans find out about the £19 !

£19 0s 0d*

I can almost understand if we are in League 1 and Falkirk, Dunfermline and Airdrie are coming to town (understand, not necessarily agree with).

In this league with minimal away supports, this just disadvantages Clyde fans. Is it a poorly judged incentive to buy a season ticket?

I may be in the minority but I’m not sure what people expect with pricing? Allan Maitland did say that in order to fund a better product on the park, people will have to pay more for season tickets and pay at the gate so it’s hardly unexpected.  

The benefactor can’t be expected to fund absolutely everything and it’s obvious that the fans will need to play their part in backing the club in order to move forward.  It’s ridiculous to expect a better product on the park and for pricing to be low.  I’m sorry you have cheap prices to watch Connor Young and Ross Forbes.  You pay more you get a bigger budget and better players like Lee Hamilton and the new signings .  That’s the reality of the situation.   

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

The benefactor is being used to fund better signings, Ian McCall and his staff staying at the club.  We are a fan owned club so the fans need to play their part.  We are very fortunate to have a benefactor that is a game changer for us, but it does not mean everyone else can just sit back and not put their hand in their pocket.  We don’t pay we get a poor squad it’s as simple as that.  

I’m also ok with pricing, unfortunately you get what you pay for and I’m fed up watching charlatans and just simply poor players. At the end of the day we don’t depend on away support to make any money nowadays especially in L2. When was the last time anyone brought more that 100 fans to any of our home games?

11 minutes ago, Captain Sham said:

I may be in the minority but I’m not sure what people expect with pricing? Allan Maitland did say that in order to fund a better product on the park, people will have to pay more for season tickets and pay at the gate so it’s hardly unexpected.  

The benefactor can’t be expected to fund absolutely everything and it’s obvious that the fans will need to play their part in backing the club in order to move forward.  It’s ridiculous to expect a better product on the park and for pricing to be low.  I’m sorry you have cheap prices to watch Connor Young and Ross Forbes.  You pay more you get a bigger budget and better players like Lee Hamilton and the new signings .  That’s the reality of the situation.   

People moan about a couple of quid . I’d pay 20 to watch forfar as by the time you hand over a 20 note for say 15 quid admission elsewhere , let’s face it the fivers just getting fucked through the food kiosk or whatever anyway

Assuming that we have 600 home fans on average (generous) with a split of 350 season tickets/250 walk-ups per game, then the price increases translate to an extra £16k over the course of the season. Going by what's been said previously, that's 10-15% of what the benefactor is giving us annually and probably less than 5% of our total budget for the season. Hardly the difference between building a squad fit for the Lowland League and one that can compete for promotion.

You've also got to factor in Maitland's statement that the price of everything else on a matchday is going to increase as well. By all means repeat a previous trick and set up a ring-fenced fund to boost the playing budget that people can pay into should they be in a financial position to do so, but to considerably increase prices with what seems like no consultation is really poor stuff in a climate where plenty of folk are struggling to make ends meet. I've had several mates take an interest in Clyde and attend the odd game over the years and the thought of telling them they'll have to pay £19 to watch League Two football in that soulless hovel is already making me wince.

Posted (edited)

I think if you can afford to pay 16/17 quid every 2nd Saturday to watch Clyde at NDP you can probably afford £19. Let's be honest, it's not THAT much of an increase and at least it is still sub £20.

Ideally we would be reducing adult entry to somewhere around the £15 mark in a bid to encourage more home fans and recognise the fact we're in League 2. That said, if this is what's required to sign a promotion winning team I'll gladly pay it. 

Edited by RutherGlen

Posted (edited)

Just to add - I doubt anyone's going to be complaining about a £19 entry fee if the product on the park is significantly better than what we were paying to witness in previous seasons. If the team go on a winning run and are at the top of the league or thereabouts after the first few games is anyone seriously going to be raging about having to pay a couple extra quid to get in?  

Edited by RutherGlen

£17 plus travel, a programme maybe, a snack and a drink will set you back the best part of £30 and if everything goes up by, say 10%, we're looking at £33 which - if we're playing well and winning most weeks - will seem like money well spent. 

If we're not performing, not winning and not challenging that's when the walk-ups stop walking up and the only spectators are those that have bought season tickets and have already committed their entrance fees.

The 'cheap' days of football are long gone and they're not coming back (unfortunately) : one look at the crazy wages, transfer fees, admission prices etc. at the top level tells us that.

I'm a walker-upper and I make no apologies for it as I'm in low paid work and have to work some Saturdays so I've never been a season-ticket holder which makes it easier for me to say "feck it! I'm not watching that garbage even for FREE" (never mind give up one of the few Saturdays off I get to pay £30-odds to be tortured).

The irony is, the better we do and the more promotions we win, the less likely it is that fans on lower incomes who don't qualify for a concession will be able to attend. Let's hope that when that day dawns we have lots of wealthy new fans ready to take the place of those that find ourselves priced-out.