General Election 2024

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Could this general election see the rise of the 'silent' SNP vote?

Scottish Labour's message is thoroughly underwhelming.

I think so.

They won’t do nearly as well as last time but I still think they’ll win a thin majority of Scottish seats.

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

To be fair, the SNP are also absolutely terrible. 

Disclaimer: other terrible political parties are also available.

BBC R 4 this morning had on some Lib Dem spokeswoman who was discussing their policies, and then mentioned that it was difficult being "the third party at Westminster".

Was she challenged on this statement?

Was she f**k.

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Time for the public service announcement!

The most important thing in any election is turnout.  IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE ON HOLIDAY AT THE TIME OF THE ELECTION MAKE SURE YOU APPLY FOR A POSTAL VOTE. 

I don't want to hear any pissy "ah wud huv voted tae keep yon erse oot, but ah wus in Torremolinos" stuff.

I don't care who P&Bers vote for, just vote FFS.

As had already been mentioned, the Council staff will be under extreme pressure in the run up to polling day so don't leave your application until the last minute. Help them to help you.

If you will be away from before the postal votes are issued, arrange a postal proxy - with someone you can trust!

Got mine and my wife's postal vote application in last night.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

BBC R 4 this morning had on some Lib Dem spokeswoman who was discussing their policies, and then mentioned that it was difficult being "the third party at Westminster".

Was she challenged on this statement?

Was she f**k.

They won't even be third after this election. There's a new Tory protest vote in town.

They're in an odd position now where proportional representation wouldn't do a lot for them, but would be massive for their competitor. No wonder it's stopped being a priority.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

They won't even be third after this election. There's a new Tory protest vote in town.

They're in an odd position now where proportional representation wouldn't do a lot for them, but would be massive for their competitor. No wonder it's stopped being a priority.

The big thing with PR for the Lib Dems isn’t so much just about increasing their own number of seats, it’s about making hung parliaments the norm so that they can alternate coalitions between the two main parties.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

There was a clip doing the rounds on Twitter last week of an interview with renowned normal one Andrew Bridgen MP, who claimed Sunak would imminently call an early election as he wanted out before Britain formally declares we're at war with Russia later this summer. Apparently the Russian ambassador to the UK told him his country already considers us to be at war as it's UK personnel lobbing our bombs at them.

I didn't give it much thought at the time given who it was making the claims, but he got the first bit right at least. Nice knowing you all.

I blame Berwick-upon-Tweed for this.

7 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Is it possible to do this before the election, or did he just lie to the mother?

If he did that, it demonstrates once and for all what an odious little creep Sunak is.  Pity Dross wasn't asked about that kind of thing on Radio Scotland this morning, instead of him being allowed to rave on about devolved issues during a discussion about a UK general election.

His nonsense reminded me of a Labour leaflet, I think at the previous GE when the candidate was focused on things like roads and police which had sweet FA to do with Westminster.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dross wasn't asked about that kind of thing on Radio Scotland this morning, instead of him being allowed to rave on about devolved issues during a discussion about a UK general election.

The lib Dem Clown Cole Hamilton did that yesterday, babbling on about the Scottish NHS as if this is actually a GE issue.

The biggest problem is that the BBC reporters simply dont challenge this line, its like they have been brainwashed.

There's a bit of chat about whether the nation's success or failure in the Euros will affect the vote. This is pretty depressing that people could be swayed by short term feelgood factors but how much of an influence would it be?

Scotland do well = SNP do well????

England do well = Tories do well??? Why not Reform?

I seem to recall that a wee while ago someone pulled together a list of things that Starmer promised as part of his leadership campaign and since then as Labour leader which he has since gone back on.

Anyone have it handy? Might be useful if Labour canvassers come calling.  I seem to recall mention of the abolition of the House of Lords for example?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I seem to recall that a wee while ago someone pulled together a list of things that Starmer promised as part of his leadership campaign and since then as Labour leader which he has since gone back on.

Anyone have it handy? Might be useful if Labour canvassers come calling.  I seem to recall mention of the abolition of the House of Lords for example?

Good idea. Here you go.

https://www.bigissue.com/news/politics/keir-starmer-broken-promises-tuition-fees-nationalisation-u-turn/#:~:text=Labour's promise to scrap tuition,to be leader in 2020.

Or, in more succinct form:

https://www.clpd.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Keir-Starmers-10-Pledges.pdf

Edited by The DA

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

We don't have this because we don't have a formal constitution. Cameron's first government passed the Fixed-term Parliaments Act in 2011, setting general elections on the first Thursday in May every five years unless there was a two-thirds majority vote in the Commons for one sooner. The 2015 was the first election under it, and the 2017 election followed a two-thirds majority as Corbyn's Labour voted for it, with bring-it-on bravado.

However, as we don't have a formal constitution no Act is any more important than any other and they can all be repealed or amended by a simple majority in Parliament. The Early Parliamentary General Election Act 2019 was fast-tracked through in two days for the last election, though it also had Labour support.

In 2022 both of the above Acts were repealed by the Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act, restoring the power of the prime minister to request an election from the monarch whenever they please. Only nerds noticed and it was barely reported.

The only way to fix the term for elections and put it out of reach of the politicians is to have a formal constitution. The same goes for things like devolution, which 326 MPs could abolish any time they feel like it. But we'll never have a real constitution because only nerds care about it and nobody else understands why it matters.

Not to worry, we have a man on the inside. 

@Ad Lib fix this

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Who are you voting for?

Nobody.  There isn't a party that is sufficiently attractive enough.  I was one of those that held my nose and voted SNP for independence reasons only.  Now that they have fucked that and piss about spending political capital on issues that won't be out of place in community councils whilst forming coalitions with other parties without any mandate (nor any real need) then they can sing for it.

12 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Do keep up. Did you miss the announcement of a general election levy on the individual branch HQ accounts back in December or (more likely) are you just indulging in a bit of 'SNP baaaaad'

So a case of robbing Paul to pay Peter. 😂