General Election 2024

I did totally expect this. It is in a way totally deserved, yet I do expect the SNP to come back from this in time stronger.

I think people like Kate Forbes are really genuine, intelligent, strong person. I am not necessarily saying she should be leader, however she should continue to be a key person in the front of the party. There are other too. Time & patience for now.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Big story of the night is Reform.

This. It's the only story of the night. The Tories collapsed, mostly to Reform, Labour were static (even compared with a historically poor election) and as the largest minority the electoral system handed them two-thirds of the seats.

The SNP have paid the price for a couple of things: 

1) They've been in power too long and have long since gone stale. Eventually, people get sick of you; it's the natural order. 

2) They're on their third leader in just over a year. The popular one was brought down by her own hubris and a ridiculous situation where her husband was in control of the party's finances, (allegedly) mismanaged them and they were both arrested. Her handpicked successor was a known tube, and unsurprisingly was not fit for office. He then signed his own death warrant by kicking the Greens out of the coalition. The latest guy is uninspiring (not necessarily a bad quality in a politician in my opinion), who is finding it tough to through off substitute teacher vibes. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I went to bed at 6 and have just got up again.

Seriously, still no result in Dumfries and Galloway?  What is wrong with people?

Our counting is almost as humiliating as our voting.

I'm seriously considering a tender for the count process next time round. Who do I apply to? I've been counting things for 30 odd years, plenty of experience of it.

I was going to assume it must be very close but then the Mundell seat was nearly as late and it wasn't even close! Poor from our lot.

I fell asleep about 4am and assumed I'd missed our result. Turns out I could have had a normal night's sleep and missed nowt in D&G!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

I meant as in behind the curtain. They are the same organisation.

Not sure what you mean about behind the curtain, it's not a secret or anything. They just renamed because Brexit was done, they're not claiming to be a different organisation.

They're a different organisation from UKIP but mostly with the same people, though.

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think if the SNP form any sort of plan with Alba and their 0.5% of the vote, they'll lose another huge chunk of voters and independence will be much further away. Most Scots really hate Alex Salmond and he's a barrier to independence, not a help. The minute Nicola Sturgeon took over from him the SNP's opinion polling jumped 5 points - mostly due to women.

I wonder to what extent voters see SNP and Alba as two versions of the same thing and similarly Tories and Reform. 

By contrast there is currently only one Labour Party (apologies to the SDLP, I suppose).

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This. It's the only story of the night. The Tories collapsed, mostly to Reform, Labour were static (even compared with a historically poor election) and as the largest minority the electoral system handed them two-thirds of the seats.

Personally, I think there’s a bigger story - the low turnout. Rather than berate my fellow Scots who did vote, but didn’t vote the way I personally want for being ‘wallopers’ or ‘lickspittle union flag loving types’ I’m more concerned about very low turnout, especially in a first past the post system. My parents instilled in me the need to vote and never to not bother. Millions of people aren’t bothering.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The unpalatable truth is that Nigel Farage is, by a distance, the most consequential politician we've had in decades.

1 hour ago, I Clavdivs said:

Tellingly only a broken/corrupt UK and a Dictatorship in Belorussia are the only countries in Europe still using FPTP .

Wait i know this one... It's because PR results in weak governments! 

An oldie but a goodie

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Personally, I think there’s a bigger story - the low turnout. Rather than berate my fellow Scots who did vote, but didn’t vote the way I personally want for being ‘wallopers’ or ‘lickspittle union flag loving types’ I’m more concerned about very low turnout, especially in a first past the post system. My parents instilled in me the need to vote and never to not bother. Millions of people aren’t bothering.

People have to want to vote.

They have to think that voting may improve their quality of life. If they don’t think that, why would they vote?

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's false.

This is one of the features of election post-mortems; everyone thinks the things they care about are why a party did well or badly.

I think the SNP's tax policies are one of their most popular aspects and the reason they fell to 30% yesterday has absolutely nothing to do with that. I think "free" stuff like tuition fees, prescriptions, baby boxes and the child poverty and disability payments are very popular, except among people who already hate them. I think their poorer result is to do with perceptions of their delivery and the air of incompetence around them.

Neither of us can know though.

Would tend to agree that people are reading too much into it. This election was seen by many as a protest vote against the government, Labour were seen as the best way to dump them. At the same time, overall turnout was horrendous, a lot of people have looked at it, decided it made no fucking difference to the outcome, and didn’t bother. It looks fairly simple to me.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

People have to want to vote.

They have to think that voting may improve their quality of life. If they don’t think that, why would they vote?

Indeed.