General Election 2024

3 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Likewise I just cant see my constituency (Stirling) going Conservative either but we'll see soon enough...

Wait what?

It's been Tory twice in my lifetime, and is a massive rugby town. And as everyone knows, rugby fans are, without exception, Tory-supporting c***s.

I could easily see Stirling going Tory.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

They have Islington North in the too close to call category but presumably it was called for Corbyn in the initial numbers, as there were 19 others with 18 of them being Northern Ireland and Rochdale (Galloway's seat) being 99% likely for Labour.

The Speaker is the 19th one 

Just now, Groundhopping Adventures said:

The centre ground has shifted right. Labour are further right than they were under Blair, casual racism has been legitimised by disasters like Brexit. 

Scotland is people scunnered by the SNP making an arse of thing recently. Don't think much of this is Nicola's fault

On the contrary, Nicola Sturgeon is exactly the reason things went to shit for the SNP. 

Left under a cloud and then her hand-picked successor, who was quite widely known to be a bit of an idiot, duly turned out to be an idiot and was himself replaced. 

Reform's number combined with a Labour government that will have a broad but very shallow support, elected on a modest platform whilst shouting about "change", seems like a recipe for problems down the line for Labour. 

4 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I think this may have been the case a few years, but not now. The next election will be won on who deports more coloured people.

It’s definitely what sways people into actually going out and voting for them.

I just don’t want to get too concerned. I think the overwhelming majority of folk who’d even contemplate voting for them probably has done this time, so I’d see this as a high water mark hopefully.

The swingometer showing a swing from Labour to Reform in Sunderland is a bit misleading.

It just means that Reform increased their share more than Labour, not that Labour lost votes to Reform.

1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

The Speaker is the 19th one 

Of course, forgetting Hoyle's not still counted as Labour in the election regardless of it being uncontested!

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

They have Islington North in the too close to call category but presumably it was called for Corbyn in the initial numbers, as there were 19 others with 18 of them being Northern Ireland and Rochdale (Galloway's seat) being 99% likely for Labour.

Islington N is forecast Labour hold. The other ‘Other’ is the speaker.

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Gordon, for example, is down as a 58% chance of Tory and 42% chance of SNP. So I wonder if the graphic represents that (i.e. the parties with the biggest percentage chance in each individual constituency), but whether the overall model has something built in nationally for particularly close calls, especially when it is projecting a collapse like that. That could be total nonsense, though. 

This is along the right lines.

If you have a 40% chance in 10 seats, the chances are you'll win about 4 of them, even if you aren't favoured to win in any particular one.

8 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Not exactly a definitive source but Dunfermline is turning red according to my in laws.

Aye I'd be shocked if it didn't. 

Likewise Cowdenbeath, Neale Hanvey was elected as SNP, he's now Alba and the SNP obviously have another candidate, that'll split the vote and Labour will pick up the seat. 

Posted (edited)

I said similar over on twitter but Nicola Sturgeon and her husband are almost solely responsible for this collapse of the SNP, unfortunately the fall of the SNP does mean significant damage to Independence. Hopefully the Sturgeon love in from such a strong section of the Indy movement will stop.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

What football team is the Lib Dem guy wearing in Sunderland South? Is in a Sunderland one?

2019/2020 at that