Daft Wee Things You Do

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

When I talk the Cat I reply on his behalf, well if it is good enough for Johnny Morris then ..................

If you'd give him some time to think about it, maybe you'd actually get an answer.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to preface this by saying this was mostly when I was younger and was all undertaken via inner monologue (ie not said aloud).

Loads of things I used to do I would picture myself doing as part of a world cup for that activity. For example, I would be out fishing and there would be an inner monologue commentary (always in the voice similar to Peter Alyss or Ted Lowe) on my 'performance' in catching stuff and whether I (representing Scotland) would have a chance of winning the 'fishing world cup'.  Not that wierd I guess but the internal commentary would involve live incidents like "that fish has gotten away, Scotland could be out". 

I played a lot of golf in my youth and would look for golf balls at my local course to save on buying new ones. Scotland therefore also participated in the 'golf ball searching World Cup' along with lots of other mundane tasks that are unlikely to ever be part of a World Cup.

On the eating stuff individually, that seems mad. Loads of foods go together in a mouthful so these people must be missing millions of excellent flavour combinations!

Edited by Alert Mongoose

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'm going to preface this by saying this was mostly when I was younger and was all undertaken via inner monologue (ie not said aloud).

Loads of things I used to do I would picture myself doing as part of a world cup for that activity. For example, I would be out fishing and there would be an inner monologue commentary (always in the voice similar to Peter Alyss or Ted Lowe) on my 'performance' in catching stuff and whether I (representing Scotland) would have a chance of winning the 'fishing world cup'.  Not that wierd I guess but the internal commentary would involve live incidents like "that fish has gotten away, Scotland could be out". 

I played a lot of golf in my youth and would look for golf balls at my local course to save on buying new ones. Scotland therefore also participated in the 'golf ball searching World Cup' along with lots of other mundane tasks that are unlikely to ever be part of a World Cup.

On the eating stuff individually, that seems mad. Loads of foods go together in a mouthful so these people must be missing millions of excellent flavour combinations!

Please enlighten us as to how you progressed from 'golf ball searching World Cup' to your obsession with underwear for 'Plus' size ladies. Do you have an inner monologue for this kink ?

Asking for a friend..................

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Please enlighten us as to how you progressed from 'golf ball searching World Cup' to your obsession with underwear for 'Plus' size ladies. Do you have an inner monologue for this kink ?

Asking for a friend..................

I've never considered them as linked but you never know.

Re a plate of food, and I think this is morally correct rather than daft... If I am in any doubt that i'll finish everything, I try and sort of "time it" to ensure that if I do end up leaving anything, anything that had to die to be on the plate has been eaten.

14 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Worryingly, I still do similar with the Scotland World Cup commentary.  This thread's doing wonders for my self-consciousness about my own mental illness.

I've always been weirdly concerned about missing Scotland playing at World Cups. It hasn't happened for a while, but I used to have nightmares every few months that I'd suddenly realise the World Cup had started weeks ago and I'd missed our games. Occasionally we'd be in the semis and I'd have missed us dishing out a few memorable thumpings. Meanwhile in real life, you've more chance of missing a nuclear strike on Faslane than a World Cup being in progress.

I bought the first Mrs BFTD a Yoda toy that acted like a Magic 8-Ball; squeeze his hand and he says yes, no, ask again later, that kind of stuff. Before the first qualifier for a new tournament, I started a ritual of asking him if we'd qualify - the answer was always no, or some variant of unclear/ask again later. After about half a dozen tournaments, he mysteriously ended up in the bucket. Bollocks to him.

I do the opposite to everyone here and mix all my food together before I eat it (if the consistency is mixable). E.g, chilli con carne may be served over rice but I mix it all up before I start. 

I also shout "where?!" In faux fear loudly any time the sat nav says "bear left/bear right". Done it for years, no idea where it came from. 

I keep bottle tops in the cutlery drawer and then, when inevitably asked why are there bottle tops in the cutlery drawer I say "you mean why is there cutlery in the bottle top drawer?". That one came from Scrubs, again, been doing it for years.

I also point out that every single white Audi A1/A3 looks like a stormtrooper. This is apparently annoying after the first time. 

I'm sure there are more but those will do for now. 

14 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Whenever someone asks me what is in a bag, I reply "Jebediah Springfield's statues head". Surprisingly not many people get the reference.

Hans Sprungfeld likes this.

On 25/05/2024 at 13:15, Central Belt Caley said:

Say thank you to Alexa when she plays the song I’ve requested 

I do this quite often but when I do it it's always followed with "ya fucking racist cow". As she's eventually put the correct song on. 

When driving, I start scrunching my toes at each white line, alternating left, right, left, right and i get very annoyed of it ends up on the wrong foot - needs to end on the foot I started on. I no longer do it with lamposts so progress of a sorts.

Used to do the Twix thing, peel off the caramel in a oner with my teeth, then nibble the chocolate round the edges, then finally the biscuit.  Don't do it anymore as I now live with others and it seems to weird them out.

Have been known to balance a bottle of Pepsi Max on my head, while lying on the couch.  it's easier when you are lying on your side, as the side of your head is flatter and the head is generally supported by a cushion.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

This thread is reminding me of Paul the Octopus. 

They killed and ate him when he got the result of the 2010 final wrong. 

Mmmm Soothsaying Cephalopod

Homer Simpson Drooling GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

On 25/05/2024 at 12:58, Hedgecutter said:

This morning I found myself walking past a defibrillator and yet again sang 'defibrillator" to the tune of Sade's 'Smooth Operator'.  Happens every time.

I also found the Limmy sketch about throwing the teabags into the mug thinking "if this goes in then..." intriguing because I'd always done the exact thing in secret, having never known about anyone else doing it.

What daft little things do you do?

I walked past a defibrillator today. Guess what popped into my head? Thanks

8 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I actually do the food thing but admit it is very odd. I'll eat veg first, then potato product (chips, roast potatoes etc..) then finally the meat.

Same, though I can't remember the last time I had two of any different thing on the same forkful (veg does not count). My uncle (by marriage) does this too, which I found out about after my aunt tagged him in a facebook post. My gran sometimes has one thing and then the other and a mix of something else and then back to the first and I frankly just think it seems a schizophrenic way of eating. I would prefer to finish a meal with aftertaste which is best tasting.

TV volume has to be at an even number, with one exception.

It's 16, 18, 20, 24, 25, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40.

I prefer 25 to 26 but not 35 to 36

Socks take up to an hour to be taken off. Sitting at home, put heel of one foot on sock end of other foot and wiggle and loosen sock around toes, repeat on other foot. About 30mins later, repeat process but move socks further down feet. Repeat again later so socks are now only really covering toes and rest of sock is hanging loose. Then when ready just shake your feet till the socks fall off.

And relax.