Just How Bad Could It Get ?

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Which was worse?

McTominay v Spain or Hutton/Panucci incident v Italy 07?

The top one by far.  In fairness wasn't Ferguson's equaliser in the Italy game miles offside which probably nullifies that one a bit.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd have pretty much any goalkeeper that's been a permanent number 1 for a period including the likes of Sullivan and Douglas ahead of Gunn tbh. I'd say that's really the only notable downgrade in the team right now and the drop off from Gunn/Gordon to Clark/Kelly is terrifying.

I think our CH's are probably the weakest they've been in a long time too.

Individually, bar McGinn, Tierney and Robertson, I would hardly label this Scotland team as individually outstanding, they are very much a sum of their parts and form together to create an excellent performing unit which we've lacked over the years and that's the biggest difference IMO.

I haven’t noticed Gunn do anything wrong in his time with Scotland. He looks a solid enough goalkeeper. Agree that the drop off to the next ‘keepers is massive. 

On 04/06/2024 at 09:29, kennie makevin said:

With current form suggesting that Scotland may be on course for an unwelcome piece of Euro history against Germany by suffering the heaviest defeat in the tournaments history, the simple question is....just how bad could it get.  ? I am, of course, desperately trying to invoking a reverse Argentina '78 scenario ...

You should start a how good can it get thread. An Argentina scenario would likely see us qualify. 

41 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Which was worse?

McTominay v Spain or Hutton/Panucci incident v Italy 07?

The McTominay one was the correct decision, just badly communicated, so it has to be the Italy one (whilst taking into account that we did score a very offside goal in that game).

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The McTominay one was the correct decision, just badly communicated, so it has to be the Italy one (whilst taking into account that we did score a very offside goal in that game).

It’s worth noting though that for as much discourse as there’s been over the Hutton decision, it didn’t end up making any difference. All it did was turn a draw into a defeat when we needed to win to qualify for that tournament (a draw would have only sufficed if France dropped points to Ukraine which didn’t happen)

4 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Pretty much single handedly won us the critical qualifying game v Sweden at Ibrox. 

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I wasn't there, watched it live on cooncil telly (different days...) and I remember bursting out laughing at the final whistle. Sweden all over us from the first minute, some unbelievable saves from Leighton, we score on a rare trip upfield, and at full time the Swedes walk off shaking their heads and wondering how that happened.

this gets trotted out quite regularly. I watched the highlights recently and Leighton was solid in terms of punching away a few crosses but had only one big save of note to make and even then the Swedish striker blasted it against his torso - see the 4.29 mark from the link below. Either the highlights have edited out all the spectacular saves that Leighton made or Leighton's exploits have been embellished year on year. 

https://www.facebook.com/scotlandnationalteam/videos/scotland-1-0-sweden-10-november-1997/663004832112616/

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Even though technically correct the McTominay one is still frustrating, because it’s one of those ones that no one would honestly have given a shit about before VAR.

Just checked all Scotland results at world cup and euros in my memorable lifetime - 1974 and later

played 27  

won 6 (22.2%) - 2 were Zaire and New Zealand

draws 8 (29.6%)

lost 13 (48.1%)

oof !!!

1 hour ago, true fan said:

Just checked all Scotland results at world cup and euros in my memorable lifetime - 1974 and later

played 27  

won 6 (22.2%) - 2 were Zaire and New Zealand

draws 8 (29.6%)

lost 13 (48.1%)

oof !!!

Red neck for those other teams that Scotland have beaten at World Cups and Euros - Holland, Sweden, CIS, Switzerland.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Even though technically correct the McTominay one is still frustrating, because it’s one of those ones that no one would honestly have given a shit about before VAR.

Completely agree, I don't think Spain for a minute thought there was anything wrong with the goal.

5 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Craig Brown or Stevie Clarke as manager?

As much love as there is for him, I still think Steve Clarke is underrated. He's the only manager that has solved the puzzle of our very unbalanced squad and his stint at Kilmarnock was the most impressive managerial spell I've seen in Scottish football. What he did with the resources available, without really adding to the squad given to him, was outrageous. His record before that was under-recognised too.

I was a big Broon fan in the day but I'm picking Clarke. I'd take him over Smith or peak McLeish too. IMO you have to go back to Ferguson and Stein for comparisons.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've just remembered that I started a thread specifically for you to moan about the inevitability of England winning the tournament, and how terrible it's going to be, so I'm understanding more now.

I don't understand this post, either literally, or as a hilariously ironic take.

5 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

Craig Brown or Stevie Clarke as manager?

Its Craig Brown for me.

People give credit for Steve Clarke solving the puzzle of the lack of center backs, but he only copied Craig Brown's blueprints of a back three.

Also, In Euro 96 there were 16 teams. As opposed to 24 teams now.

Qualifying for a 16 team tournament, especially with the lack of depth in defence and attack, was extraordinary.

People beat Craig Brown with the "He never blooded young players" stick, but when you consider the youngsters at the time were Gary Holt, Stephen Hughes, Darren Mackie, Keigan Parker, Stephen Simmons, Gavin Rae, etc, he wasn't exactly sitting on a golden generation.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Its Craig Brown for me.

People give credit for Steve Clarke solving the puzzle of the lack of center backs, but he only copied Craig Brown's blueprints of a back three.

Also, In Euro 96 there were 16 teams. As opposed to 24 teams now.

Qualifying for a 16 team tournament, especially with the lack of depth in defence and attack, was extraordinary.

People beat Craig Brown with the "He never blooded young players" stick, but when you consider the youngsters at the time were Gary Holt, Stephen Hughes, Darren Mackie, Keigan Parker, Stephen Simmons, Gavin Rae, etc, he wasn't exactly sitting on a golden generation.

Give it a rest with the back three thing man, Craig Brown didn't invent the back three and to say Clarke has copied his blueprint is severly devaluing Clarke's achievements with the team and is just plainly incorrect. It's two completely different setups.

Edited by Butters Scotch

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Italy also had a perfectly good goal disallowed that would have made it 2-0.  Also with it being 1-1 in the 89th min we were out anyway as we had to win that game!

we were anything but robbed in that game lol