Germany - Scotland

I don't know if there's any way of fixing any of this but step 1 is get out of our own half. That needs Gilmour. It also needs someone instead of Ralston who just can't cope with the German press. Maybe we don't have a RWB who could.

MacGregor, Ralston, Christie, Gunn and Porteous all woeful.  The others absent or not involved. Adams might as well not be on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Maybe folk are expecting something even vaguely resembling what Ukraine and Greece managed against them in the last 2 weeks?

We’ve four midfielders grouped closely together and they can barely string a pass together. It’s dreadful.

Are Germany not notably shite in friendlies and even qualifying then step up to their true form in the finals?

The phrase, 'can't ever write off the Germans' that is so cliche stems from that.

Man for man, they've got a top, top side still and it's nowhere near the 'weak' Germany we've been led to believe.

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Spot on, Germany have players on the bench who’d walk into our team. We’ve not been great but they’re levels above us 

Porteous being Porteous aside and Gunn not being great for the goal, I’m not sure what else folk were expecting 

A bit of fight would be a start? Is a shot on goal too much to ask for? Is asking for us to string a few passes together greed at this point?

Defeatist nonsense that all too often excuses poor performance. "Oh aye, but we were never going to win anyway".

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems like not starting Gilmour was a mistake, but at least it was a mistake made against Germany.

God you’ve just reminded me that we have another 2 games to watch

Just now, Crùbag said:

MacGregor, Ralston, Christie, Gunn and Porteous all woeful.  The others absent or not involved. Adams might as well not be on the pitch. 

Putting Adams up front on his own against Tah and Rudiger is a fucking shite laugh.

I don't know what else we could have done but he's never, ever winning that sort of battle.

It’s like watching primary ones v the coaches.
Ffs, at least in 98 when opening against Brazil we made a game of it. This is pish and with 10 men now I don’t think I’ve ever been less enthusiastic for a second half. 

First ten minutes was a throwback to France 98.

A day spent coming up with plausible theories of how we could get something, and then watching them through your fingers, chasing shadows while 1-0 down early doors.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are Germany not notably shite in friendlies and even qualifying then step up to their true form in the finals?

The phrase, 'can't ever write off the Germans' that is so cliche stems from that.

Man for man, they've got a top, top side still and it's nowhere near the 'weak' Germany we've been led to believe.

If they go on to destroy Hungary and Switzerland the way they have us then it would be a valid point. But I highly doubt either game will be as easy for them as this has been.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

40 years since a team scored 3 goals in the first half of a Euros group match.

When you saw how easily Netherlands managed to pick us off in that friendly, it's maybe not too surprising.  Currently we are so, so soft defensively and with so little protection from midfield so far it's maybe not surprising we've been the ones to obligingly allow Germany to fill their boots