Generic EURO2024 discussion thread

Sortmeout

I couldn’t find a thread just for general comments about the tournament as opposed to specific groups/teams/games.

I just wanted to say that the tournament overall, if you forget about Scotlands performance, has got off to a really positive start. The games, atmosphere etc have all been pretty good. You normally get a few tense boring games at this stage but nothing like that so far. Hopefully this continues.

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I couldn’t find a thread just for general comments about the tournament as opposed to specific groups/teams/games.

I just wanted to say that the tournament overall, if you forget about Scotlands performance, has got off to a really positive start. The games, atmosphere etc have all been pretty good. You normally get a few tense boring games at this stage but nothing like that so far. Hopefully this continues.

I feel like the past few big tournaments have been gradually improving in general. There was a while where the big names seemed tired after long seasons, and before that you'd get more teams trying to shitfest their way through as far as possible because they knew they weren't very good. Might be imagining it, but that doesn't seem so prevalent now.

Germany is a great place for a tournament too. I read there were 100,000 Croatians in Berlin yesterday. 200,000 Scots, 40,000 Dutch etc, I could be wrong but I don't think you'd see these numbers in other countries like England or Portugal. Aside from the games themselves it makes for a fantastic atmosphere in the host cities.

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Germany is a great place for a tournament too. I read there were 100,000 Croatians in Berlin yesterday. 200,000 Scots, 40,000 Dutch etc, I could be wrong but I don't think you'd see these numbers in other countries like England or Portugal. Aside from the games themselves it makes for a fantastic atmosphere in the host cities.

Germany is the real home of football. No better place for a tournament. 

9 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I arrived in Cologne today and have seen a good few Swiss, Polish, Hungarian and Albania fans already as well as loads of Scottish and a few English.

18 hours ago, nate said:

I was just going to say this. 

Plenty of big modern stadiums.

Right in the centre of Europe.

Shares borders with 9 different country’s, easy day trip from plenty others. Even further away countries like Scotland of Albania is still relatively straightforward. 

Good infrastructure and transport, nice towns and cities and despite the stereotypes our noisy neighbours like to perpetuate, the locals are friendly and up for a good time. 

The perfect place for a tournament, have it there every time. 

24 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

I was just going to say this. 

Plenty of big modern stadiums.

Right in the centre of Europe.

Shares borders with 9 different country’s, easy day trip from plenty others. Even further away countries like Scotland of Albania is still relatively straightforward. 

Good infrastructure and transport, nice towns and cities and despite the stereotypes our noisy neighbours like to perpetuate, the locals are friendly and up for a good time. 

The perfect place for a tournament, have it there every time. 

Absolutely this - none of the "lets spread it all over 5 countries" pish.

One tournament, in the middle of Europe - it just works.

Wouldn't disagree with anything anyone's said about Germany but I still find most of, certainly the west, a bit mid. I'd much prefer Spain, Italy or France for the food, culture, architecture and landscapes. Netherlands-Belgium would have been great to get to and I really wish we'd made Austria-Switzerland.

All of these are far better than a UK and Ireland competition. The rationale behind spreading Euro 2020 around made sense, give games to countries that have never hosted and are not likely to, but then they gave packages to Munich, Rome, St Petersburg and Seville and gave the semis and final to London. I know Dublin had to pull out because of Covid but it was still shite. 

I was at France vs Austria tonight in Düsseldorf and the atmosphere was amazing. The stadium was full of Scottish people. We were definitely the number 3 in terms of fans at the game behind France and Austria.

On 16/06/2024 at 13:53, nate said:

Was thinking this as well. It’s the best host nation.

As discussed, stadia, central location, organisation, transport, big cities with plenty accommodation.

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm no England fan, but even I have to admit that the second flag here is a beauty. 

This must be some EVEL legislation that we didn't get to hear about up here.

On behalf of England's ladies, I really want to see someone asking Sirkeef about whether he's planning to repeal this.

I see Germany are playing at three different cities in their first three group games. Fairly normal for a host nation except England of course, who somehow manage to play every game at Wembley every time they've hosted. Never see this mentioned. I think it's only them and Mexico (both times) where the host has played every match in their recognised home stadium. Certainly since 1966.

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm no England fan, but even I have to admit that the second flag here is a beauty. 

Highly amusing !

On a related subject, what is it with English fans and the absolute requirement to state which league team they support?

On 16/06/2024 at 15:57, Richey Edwards said:

The only team who have absolutely stunk the place out so far is Scotland. 

Ukraine were equally as bad on Monday. Which is good news for Scotland, considering Belgium lost yesterday as well. 

16 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Highly amusing !

On a related subject, what is it with English fans and the absolute requirement to state which league team they support?

Not having the chance to travel in Europe if you support Doncaster probably.

On the subject of stating which team you support, when someone dies, it’s mandatory it seems to say who you support. Why it’s relevant when a tragic death like the Millwall goalkeeper is any more respectful during a condolence if you mention who you support is beyond me.