Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

51 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Anyone have any idea about how Hungary play? I haven't watched them at the tournament. I've heard they've developed into a team that can do a bit of everything from being a counter-attacking team. A bit like Scotland.

Came into the tournament as the hipsters’ darlings, replete with grave warnings about how they would blow us away and how half their players were on fire in the Bundesliga. 

Have singularly failed to live up to the hype. Looked hopeless against the Swiss and a bit better against the Germans. At the end of the day, they’ve played the same teams we have and have fewer points. Very beatable, although I’m sure they’re saying the same thing about us. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Viktor Orban is a massive c**t which is another reason I hope we win this.

Saw something recently about how he's used the memory of Ferenc Puskas to build his support.

I know he (understandably) didn't like the Communists, but I'm kinda hoping that doesn't mean he was a fascist too.

On 20/06/2024 at 15:51, PeterRulesOK said:

There's no attacking threat in that team.   Shankland from the start and play 2 up front or we're out.

Nah. If it's two up front it has to be Adams and Conway.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Saw something recently about how he's used the memory of Ferenc Puskas to build his support.

I know he (understandably) didn't like the Communists, but I'm kinda hoping that doesn't mean he was a fascist too.

The freedom-loving fatty played in Franco's Spain, and managed in Greece when the Colonels were in charge. Mustn't have minded a bit of Fascism.

31 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I love how we’re trying to make some c**t who was good at football, have some profound political ideals. c**t was maybe just good at football and wasn't that’s fussed with politics.

29 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Or maybe applying 1950s social and political spectrums to the modern day is completely redundant.

Or maybe supporting fascism at any time is a bad idea?

(I’ll leave it at that as I don’t want to derail the purpose of the thread.)

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

“Hungary are an absolute bunch of huddies” was the chat at work today, so that’s enough for me. 

Who do we get in the last 16? 

image.png.080a14b2a0a7a7978978d3c3b3431c10.png

As it stands, it looks like:

- 5 out of 10 chance of getting Group F's winner (likely Portugal, chance of Turkey if they can pull it together)
- 3 out of 10 chance of getting Group B's winner (Spain)
- 2 out of 10 chance of getting Group E's winner (all to play for all 4 teams as all could be on 3 points by tomorrow or Romania could all but seal it up. One of Romania, Belgium, Slovakia or Ukraine)

Already preparing for the quarter-finals!

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

If we are drawing in injury time and Gunn has the ball in his hands, he should throw it out for a corner. Better chance of getting a winner if they've sent the goalie forward than from open play.

18 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Anyone have any idea about how Hungary play? I haven't watched them at the tournament. I've heard they've developed into a team that can do a bit of everything from being a counter-attacking team. A bit like Scotland.

As @Junior_Arab said,  very much came in fancied. Working on the basis that Switzerland dealt with them fairly easily and we more than matched the Swiss, on who-beat-who, we should win. But this is...

a) bollocks 

b) Scotland 

Although the score was very different I didn't think they posted Germany much more of a challenge than we did. My big concern is that Szoboszlai naturally plays on the left and is their best/most skillful player, which lines up nicely with Ralston who's confidence must be shot.

Hungary have been good in recent years, but it feels like their squad's more important players are generally older (lol remember Croatia in 2021, they're almost all still playing). Generally based on levels played at, I reckon our squad and Hungary's are fairly evenly matched. This isn't like Switzerland who had a Bundesliga, Serie A, and Tourist League champion through their squad.

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

If we are drawing in injury time and Gunn has the ball in his hands, he should throw it out for a corner. Better chance of getting a winner if they've sent the goalie forward than from open play.

I'm enjoying this Rope-a-dope plan. 

17 hours ago, BFTD said:

He's an absolute fcking bellend and he'd be 3rd for a bullet behind Putin and Trump if I had my way.

18 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Came into the tournament as the hipsters’ darlings, replete with grave warnings about how they would blow us away and how half their players were on fire in the Bundesliga. 

Have singularly failed to live up to the hype. Looked hopeless against the Swiss and a bit better against the Germans. At the end of the day, they’ve played the same teams we have and have fewer points. Very beatable, although I’m sure they’re saying the same thing about us. 

They went toe-to-toe with the Swiss for a lot of their game.  I was impressed by them.  As you say, they’ll fancy their chances as much as we do.  

That said, if we’re living in fear of Hungary we have no right to get out of the group.  

19 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Saw most of the Germany game and whilst they didn't ever look like winning they put on a far better show than we did. They caused the Germans some problems particularly up until the krauts scored their very fortunate goal(clear push on the defender). Certainly no push overs.

17 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Nah. If it's two up front it has to be Adams and Conway.

Big Eyes Reaction GIF by Rosanna Pansino

So we should go 460?

11 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Saw most of the Germany game and whilst they didn't ever look like winning they put on a far better show than we did. They caused the Germans some problems particularly up until the krauts scored their very fortunate goal(clear push on the defender). Certainly no push overs.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought it was a blatant push. 

I'm willing to put some of the disparity in performance v Germany down to the fact that we were abject and would never perform like that again 

At full strength we are the weakest team in this group and we aren't at full strength.

However football is a game of small margins and getting a win is possible.

We went up a level to get a point off Switzerland, we are going to have to go up an additional level to beat Hungary.

My honest opinion though is that the personnel in this squad just don't deal with elite level pressures.

Probably the most Scottish thing is getting a draw and going out on 2 points.

And the moment it kinda looks like 3 points will get you through to the knock out which means Hungary will be up for this.

On 20/06/2024 at 11:43, BFTD said:

Hungary will likely need goals, not just a win, so they'll have to go for us; sneaking a late win is pretty risky for a side sitting on 0 points and a -4 goal difference. Yes, it's possible it could be enough, but they're asking for heartbreak if that's what they aim for. We'll need to somehow tighten up at the back unless the midfield is on scintillating form and keeps pushing them back. There was a lot of sloppiness against the Swiss, and they're probably a bit pissed that they didn't take more advantage.

I've a horrible feeling this could be a draw, with us either struggling to score or conceding soft goals. They'll be legends if they can pull off the win, not because it's a great result in itself, but for having the mental fortitude to do what others haven't managed. Best of luck to them.

Me, too.

On 20/06/2024 at 11:45, DoonhamerDon said:

Not sure which is the most Scotland way to get knocked out 

1) Lead for nearly the whole game, miss a hatful of chances and concede a late equaliser (out on 2 points when a won would have been ok)

2) Win and the nation thinks we are through but get knocked out days later as four other teams end up with 4 points and a better GD

3) Hungary just outright batter us 4-0 

Option 2 is giving me the absolute fear based on the belief from everyone that 4 points will be enough. It should be enough but we will definitely not know that at full time and will have to wait for other groups to finish.

That being said I think we've had more than our fair share of GD heartbreak, and we deserve a break this time and will actually do it :)

This

On 20/06/2024 at 11:55, Gaz said:

We're gonna absolutely Scotland this.

Also this.

On 20/06/2024 at 14:12, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think it'll happen either but there are more pathways for it to do so than I expected. The chances aren't low enough to say there's "no way". Stranger things have happened. After QoS were held by St Johnstone in the League Cup groups last season we were as good as out. To go through as the last "best 3rd place" team we needed to beat Elgin and have SEVEN other results go a specific way including two games where we needed someone specifically to win on penalties and a couple of others where we needed specific margin of victories. The odds were atomically small. They all came up, we snuck through and got Rangers away in the last sixteen making a fortune. The odds of Scotland going through on 2 points are much, much better than that.

So it won't happen, then...

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

They went toe-to-toe with the Swiss for a lot of their game.  I was impressed by them.  As you say, they’ll fancy their chances as much as we do.  

That said, if we’re living in fear of Hungary we have no right to get out of the group.  

Hungary are no mugs.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

At full strength we are the weakest team in this group and we aren't at full strength.

However football is a game of small margins and getting a win is possible.

We went up a level to get a point off Switzerland, we are going to have to go up an additional level to beat Hungary.

My honest opinion though is that the personnel in this squad just don't deal with elite level pressures.

Probably the most Scottish thing is getting a draw and going out on 2 points.

And the moment it kinda looks like 3 points will get you through to the knock out which means Hungary will be up for this.

Here's hoping! :thumsup2