Next permanent manager of the Conservative and Unionist Party 2024

Who will be the next Tory leader?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To put this in footballing terms:

You've just lost the Cup Final 5-1 to your deadly rivals and have sacked your manager. You now have a shortlist of two:

Yogi and Neil Warnock. 

2 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Yep. Can see them merging with Farage's Fascists.

Nope.  Who would lead such a party?

If it was Farage then he might become PM and in all likelihood be just as useless as Truss and then be out on his ear.

If not he would have to accept collective responsibility.  Not going to happen.

Better to be the tail wagging the dog.

He also gets Labour moving right.  Why give up all this power and influence.

Also the combined party might object to him appearing on Question Time whenever he wants to.

30 minutes ago, Wee-Bey said:

A final of Badenoch v Jenrick is about the best result Labour could have hoped for.

The next Tory PM will be someone whose name is unfamiliar just now.  That is my prediction.

Outstanding quote from Badenoch

She said Conservatives needed to "talk about everything, we need to talk about the system, which I think is broken".

"I think Labour are having problems because they are working with a broken system."

Who might be responsible for that broken system Kemi. Labour, who have been in government a few months or the tories who were in government for 14 years. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Lots on this:

Looks like the Cleverley people were trying to engineer who his opponent would be in the final, and it backfired. 😆

Half of them must have thought Jenrick would be easier and the other half Badenoch, the f**king numpties. Either that or there were shenanigans going on yesterday to falsely boost Cleverly which I don't fully understand. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Nope.  Who would lead such a party?

If it was Farage then he might become PM and in all likelihood be just as useless as Truss and then be out on his ear.

If not he would have to accept collective responsibility.  Not going to happen.

Better to be the tail wagging the dog.

He also gets Labour moving right.  Why give up all this power and influence.

Also the combined party might object to him appearing on Question Time whenever he wants to.

I see Farage as a bit like BJ in a few respects, both are seen as "ordinary/decent blokes" by much of the English Tory electorate (beats me) but more relevantly they both  seem more interested in their media profiles and the subsequent grift than actually running things when they get there.

I wouldn't expect Farage to join the Tories officially for the reasons you give, but the promise of a Peerage or the US Ambassadorship might be enough to secure an endorsement at the next GE.

Inspiring stuff that a young black woman with immigrant parents could be succeeding Rishi Sunak, who also had immigrant parents, as Tory leader.

What a story. 

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Badenoch is about to very quickly find out that her weird culture war obession isn't much of a concern to a party membership that would have her deported in an instant.

Most likely and UK public discourse will be marginally better for it. Jenrick is a ranter but he's less insidious than Badenoch. He bangs on about traditional Tory topics more than the poisonous culture stuff Badenoch goes for.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Inspiring stuff that a young black woman with immigrant parents could be succeeding Rishi Sunak, who also had immigrant parents, as Tory leader.

What a story. 

It might be if their policies weren't aimed at restricting the chances of other people to do the same.

Hoping for a Badenoch win, at least it will be interesting with her raison d'etre of thinking the unthinkable. Jenrick is a boring office boy out to please the right who probably doesn't have genuine personal opinion or idea in his head. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hoping for a Badenoch win, at least it will be interesting with her raison d'etre of thinking the unthinkable. Jenrick is a boring office boy out to please the right who probably doesn't have genuine personal opinion or idea in his head. 

It doesn’t matter particularly, they’ll be the third (at best) party within 12 months. As DeSantis et al have found out over here, the loonballs don’t want the friendly face of loonballism, they want the full bore syphilitic dementia experience. 

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Robert Jenrick will be the winner when it's put to the membership........ the only question is by how much.

Robert Jenrick is an anagram of Brit crone jerk, so he represents the membership quite well. 

2 hours ago, Lex said:

What a story. 

Well that's an interesting if minority viewpoint I'm sure.  I think most people will be less concerned by her ethnicity, colour or back story than by Badenoch's rabid political beliefs.

Most convincing theory I've heard so far is that the Tugenhat fans thought Cleverly was a shoe in, so half voted Badenoch because they hate Jenrick and the other half the reverse. Probably a mixture of that and some other stuff.