Middle class Scottish things

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I don't think that financial overstretching is characteristic of any single demographic as people who care what others think of them when it comes to materialism are found across the social spectrum.  Imo, such people tend not to care about what the higher classes think of them, but do care about what those around them think.  Often a lot.

I suppose it's easier for the middle/upper classes to be content with what they have more than those living in say a council estate.  There will be another type who will (wrongly imo) perceive living in a council estate by a certain age as being some sort of failure in life, and they'll overexert themselves to make them feel different.  You'd tend to find the latter in the working-class communities I'd have thought, so you could argue that overexertion is more prevalent in what you describe as the 'aspirant middle class'.

You could be right.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Own a dog that isn't a rat on a string or liable to rip your face off if you look at it funny and then get someone else to walk your "fur baby" for you. 

Renton is trained to rip your face off but he’s cool with everyone else. 

We have a dog walker and a cleaner and my daughter is comfortably posher than me, given her expensive schooling. I don’t watch ITV but do read poncey books and watch stuff on BBC4 and Sky Arts.

But I drive a van and paint stuff for a living.

On 01/07/2024 at 20:21, Leith Green said:

Genuine middle classes with cash don't flaunt it, I've worked in plenty of their houses.

There's a world of difference between people who drive around in a 15 year old Golf, while owning a big place in The Grange and a summer house in Barbados.....and those desperados who think buying a jetski to tow behind the G Class Merc they park outside their new build Cala home makes them middle class.

It's a good point you make and one that needs reminding when people get carried away.  My mrs is one of those foreign types and where she comes from there is no such thing as wealthy lower class people, besides a handful of successful sportspeople and entertainers.  It took a long long time for her to tell the difference between those with expensive things,  essentially ned's with disposable income and actual posh people. 

BIB, you are spot on,  they may have a nice car and possible an expensive watch in some cases but other than their house you generally don't see them going for flashy or expensive things,  they tend not to wear branded clothes, very few will have sky tv for instance ( that's for the working class) the thing that will most likely give them away is that they can often have hobbies that the likes of you or I wouln't be able to afford

On 29/06/2024 at 16:52, doulikefish said:

My mates been vegan since the late 80s before it was a thing ( was an utter nightmare trying to find him stuff he could eat on hols back then)...been a postie all his life

Originally read that as Bean Pasty  all his life.

Maybe I was correct

On 01/07/2024 at 20:21, Leith Green said:

Genuine middle classes with cash don't flaunt it, I've worked in plenty of their houses.

There's a world of difference between people who drive around in a 15 year old Golf, while owning a big place in The Grange and a summer house in Barbados.....and those desperados who think buying a jetski to tow behind the G Class Merc they park outside their new build Cala home makes them middle class.

Most of the work I do is for middle to upper class households. Mainly getting places ready for sale and into seven figures as an average price (the house price, not my invoices). Old money and middle class is very different to the American idea of becoming middle class purely based on wealth.

46 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

you generally don't see them going for flashy or expensive things,  they tend not to wear branded clothes, very few will have sky tv for instance ( that's for the working class)

The branded clothes thing always pops up in blogs about 'things which keep poor people poor'.

I was thinking what a "Working Class Scottish Things" thread would list, and a conspicuous difference between the 'estate' down the road and my street is indeed the near-absence of satellite dishes in the latter.  Personally can't believe people still pay for a service with ads given the explosion of free on-demand apps, but whatever keeps folk happy.

For me, 'trampoline in the front garden' is the ultimate tell.

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The branded clothes thing always pops up in blogs about 'things which keep poor people poor'.

Used to work in a supermarket and all us young part time lads were clearing £800 a month at best, the median was probably about £600 ish. 

Some of the boys used to be straight on Flannels on payday ordering a new stone island for £3-400. Week after they’d be moaning there was nothing left til payday 

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was thinking what a "Working Class Scottish Things" thread would list, and a conspicuous difference between the 'estate' down the road and my street is indeed the near-absence of satellite dishes in the latter.  Personally can't believe people still pay for a service with ads given the explosion of free on-demand apps, but whatever keeps folk happy.

Which of these "free on-demand apps" would give you access to the content that, for example, Sky Sports or Sky Movies have?

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bairns toys in the front garden is peak adult ned behaviour, having everycunt sit in the front garden for a bbq and scoop is proper scumbag stuff. Don’t tell me am wrong

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Front garden in the trampoline is also a tell

or battered sofa in the front garden (when I say battered I don’t mean distressed or post traumatic, I mean lovingly bathed in a flour and beer suspension and deep fried)

or children never in the garden (in their bedroom watching TV on a bracket on the wall 25 hours a day)

Ned’s the Gardner, not a shifty looking bunch of neredowells 

Edited by true fan

22 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd say yes.

For example, my brother left school after his Standard Grades to be a joiner locally whilst I moved away for uni never to return (day trip exceptions), and if it weren't for family then I'd have to admit we have very little in common, other than football chat.

I get mocked for suggesting somewhere 'posh' to eat even if down for a birthday,  where posh to them means something that's not a £15 main + dessert meal deal or all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet.  The number of 'oooooh, fancy!' Chewin' the Fat gestures has become tiresome.

I can also see the difference in family photos where I have a different idea of 'dressing smart' for an event. Whilst I'd see it as smart casual, the rest of my family will turn up in their most expensive branded t-shirt.  Back in my teens, 'smart outfit' meant the tracksuit without holes in the knees, ideally the 'poppers', this pair specifically:

65-Vintage-Levi-s-USA-Jeans9.jpg

Each to their own though I say.

I think you just outgrow certain people and find your own level in the passage of life. If you want to call it a promotion from working class to middle class then you are looking at life as if it’s some sort of box ticking exercise rather than just accepting you’ve moved upwards and people you grew up with have stayed the same. Also comparing yourself to others is never a good thing in any walk of life.