Middle class Scottish things

8 hours ago, velo army said:

So the tottie belt is obviously the west starting from Bishopbriggs in the north and, maybe Girvan(?) in the south. Not sure where it starts in the East. 

Just a rough outline.

Obviously everyone, even the funcy folk, say tatties up here.

Nah, definitely tattie in Girvan. They even had a tattie festival once. 

Even up in Ayr and the villages around it was tattie

15 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Using working class/older Scottish slang that even working class people don’t use much any more. “Swally/bevvy/tatties”. Always seems to be the Glasgow uni accent types that do it 

Janice Forsyth, Alan Cumming etc

Remember when I was at Glasgow Uni we came back from a break, Easter or something can't remember and two of the other students were talking and it went something like this....

"What did you get up to, we went skiing at Val d'Isere." "Nice, we took the yacht and sailed round the West Coast"

And I was thinking "Shit, I sat in my pants and played Championship Manager in a council flat".

I'll throw in referring to your mum and dad as 'mummy and daddy' like you are 5 years old.

I think the term middle class just gets branded around Willy Nilly these days and is losing a bit of meaning. Most people being described are working class people who have a small bit of equity and a big mortgage, half decent income but still very much in the 5 figures and are far closer to being destitute than they are to financial freedom. A lot of so called middle class debate revolves around perception of how you believe someone is trying to present themselves to the world and a lot of it revolves envy and a mindset of “keeping up with the Joneses”

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think the term middle class just gets branded around Willy Nilly these days and is losing a bit of meaning. Most people being described are working class people who have a small bit of equity and a big mortgage, half decent income but still very much in the 5 figures and are far closer to being destitute than they are to financial freedom. A lot of so called middle class debate revolves around perception of how you believe someone is trying to present themselves to the world and a lot of it revolves envy and a mindset of “keeping up with the Joneses”

Traditional middle class people aren't offensive directly, the wannabee middle class are.

My mum used to say the teachers in her School in Westerton call them the Nouveau riche. The hangers on that can't afford to live in Bearsden, but get as close to it as they can (in the same post code). They'll no doubt say they live in Bearsden when they actually live in Westerton. 

14 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Traditional middle class people aren't offensive directly, the wannabee middle class are.

My mum used to say the teachers in her School in Westerton call them the Nouveau riche. The hangers on that can't afford to live in Bearsden, but get as close to it as they can (in the same post code). They'll no doubt say they live in Bearsden when they actually live in Westerton. 

Yeah the old postcode envy.

Ive never been part of that but my parents were always comfortable when I was growing up and I was always thought of as being well off despite my parents never being the type who showed off their money at all.  As I said in another thread I got left quite a lot of money when I was 21 back when the recession was kicking in and I foolishly told a few people and I found myself on the receiving end of some very bitter and jealous remarks and behaviours from some of my peers.  I think seeing these things first hand make me sympathise a bit with people being labelled as middle class because they own their own home, drive a BMW or own a Bishon Frise.

59 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I would say Westerton is a part of Bearsden nowadays, not sure if it always was historically. Having been looking at houses in that area a couple of times in the last 6/7 years I'd also say that the house prices in the conservation village and the streets round about it are in line with most of the rest of the town - there are definitely several cheaper places to live in Bearsden.

This may have changed over time though, I think there was a point where what you posted above was true, and it probably still is in other parts of the country.

22 hours ago, badgertheeuro24witness said:

Owning a jet ski or speedboat, perfect for shitting on the tranquility of others at one of our many scenic waterways. C**ts.

That is the perfect example of working class who have cash (or stole it)

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Does this count if you go in Scotland and not up the alps like every w****r who works in finance?

A conundrum?

I learned to ski at school, because some of the teachers were mad keen and we got to skive. Learned at hillend and spent loads of weekends with the school at Glenshee, as that's where the teachers did patrol.

The school? Liberton High, I come from Gilmerton (ya bass 😁), deffo not middle class.

So, skiing of itself middle class? Nope.

Twats who learned it in their 30s because Tarquin and Felicity have a chalet in Verbier? Abso-fuckin-lutely.