League Two Season 2024/25 Predictions

9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just to remind folks Clyde were the bookies favorites at this time in pre season last year 

Trust me, whilst I’m not saying we should be huge favourites to win the league, last July we signed galacticos such as Connor Scullion, Cammy Mulvanny, Fraser Malcolm, and Dylan Duncan from *checks notes* unattached, Killie u20s, Rossvale, and Glasgow Uni. The recruitment this year has been slightly improved to say the least.

We also have a proven manager in charge rather than an untested rookie working under a frankly confusing Head Coach/Director of Football situation.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Just to remind folks Clyde were the bookies favorites at this time in pre season last year 

Which means nothing really. Anyone with a bit of knowledge of the lower leagues knew last season Clyde were in for a relegation battle with the rag tag of jobbers assembled and so it played out. They would have been relegated if it wasn't for the money ploughed in from January.

What I would say is Clyde will start actual favourites this season among The Knowledge which will bring its own pressure. It will be a major fail for Ian McCall if he can't at least get them out the league through the play offs considering the money being dished out. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Replays said:

Trust me, whilst I’m not saying we should be huge favourites to win the league, last July we signed galacticos such as Connor Scullion, Cammy Mulvanny, Fraser Malcolm, and Dylan Duncan from *checks notes* unattached, Killie u20s, Rossvale, and Glasgow Uni. The recruitment this year has been slightly improved to say the least.

We also have a proven manager in charge rather than an untested rookie working under a frankly confusing Head Coach/Director of Football situation.

Very much this.

All of Clyde's signings so far have come from the higher divisions.

In June 2023 Clyde signed Jack Leighfield from relegated Albion Rovers, Jon Craig (a very uninspiring loan from the previous season - no harm to him but I highly doubt we'll see him play in the SPFL again) and the last remnants of Stuart Carswell and Ross Forbes.

Compare that to Paul McKay, Dom Docherty, Jordan Houston and Kyle Connell by the same time this year with more players with Championship experience since. It's night and day.

Edited by PTR
Typo

As ever it will be tough for any team to win the league and hopefully we will be up there challenging.

What I am pleased about is that we have a big squad of what seems good players. That might, fingers crossed be the difference particularly mid to late season when injuries and suspensions kick in.  It looks like other than CF we have decent cover for each position which is certainly unusual for us. 

Clyde should be up there, don't know about Peterhead, Dick Campbell usually gets a team going. 

I'm not sure about our noisy neighbours Spartans

Elgin were rotten first half of the season last year and rallied the second half. The great unpredictables

Maybury didn't have a great record with City despite getting us promoted. It could go either way for the Binos

Some clubs who struggled the year before (Clyde, Mo) have kicked on the season after having got a fright, others haven't. So put Stranraer in the "don't know" category. 

Edinburgh City look like fighting it out with Bonnyrigg and the Loons (their fans on here are not thrilled) at the bottom. Enjoy trips to EK the season after then, lads.. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, iain p said:

again.

Haha! Promotion play-offs. 

Stirling could be one to watch for being down near the bottom, unfortunately. I do love a wee hospitality day there as well.

10. Forfar.

McKinnon ball obviously makes this a biased take, but I can't see how anyone will struggle to score goals as much as the 'athies'. 

No wingers or full backs days before the first competitive fixture doesn't exactly scream the lofty heights of 7th.

On 06/07/2024 at 10:04, doulikefish said:

And appear to have recruited a lot better this pre season.

1. Clyde (this makes me feel very nervous)

2. Spartans

3. Peterhead

4. Elgin City

5. East Fife

6.  Stranraer

7. Bonnyrigg Rose

8. Stirling Albion

9. Forfar Athletic

10. Edinburgh City

1. Peterhead

--------

2. Clyde

3. Spartans

4. Elgin City

--------

5. East Fife

6. Stirling Albion

7. Stranraer

8. Bonnyrigg Rose

9. Edinburgh City

----------

10. Forfar Athletic

Does Forfar's win at East End mean they're better than people were giving them credit for or that Dunfermline are that bad (or was it indeed just one of those freak results)?

I'm not exactly a league 2 expert but, based on what I've seen (against Rovers and in league cup results), I would expect Clyde, Spartans and East Fife to be up there.  I also thought Stranraer looked decent on Tuesday so could be a good outside bet for a playoff push. 

Everything so far would seem to point to Edinburgh City having a real struggle to stay in the league.

14 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Does Forfar's win at East End mean they're better than people were giving them credit for or that Dunfermline are that bad (or was it indeed just one of those freak results)?

I'm not exactly a league 2 expert but, based on what I've seen (against Rovers and in league cup results), I would expect Clyde, Spartans and East Fife to be up there.  I also thought Stranraer looked decent on Tuesday so could be a good outside bet for a playoff push. 

Everything so far would seem to point to Edinburgh City having a real struggle to stay in the league.

It's the diddy cup most use it as pre season so I wouldn't use that as guide 

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

I think we will pick up enough points along the way again to be safe but it’s going to be another slog