Aye, but who do you really support?

A quick question, which may just be Glasgow-centric (it may not)

Has anyone ever been asked who they support and upon giving the answer (in my case Clyde) been met with the retort, "aye but who do you really support?" (meaning Celtic or Rangers.)

This is a real bug bear of mine, it's as if the whole of Scottish football is just the Old-Firm and no one else matters, with Old Firm fans not having the concept that you don't have to support one the so called "Big Two."

It used to be funny on Old Firm Day in my local, with Celtic supporters at one side of the pub, Rangers fans at the other and the neutrals (Clyde, Queens Park, Thistle, Hamilton etc etc) standing in the middle at the bar.

Just a thought!!!

Edited by Uncle Albert

I just tell them the truth, that they are the cancer of Scottish football, you get all the money, publicity, buy the good players from other competing teams and bench them, take all the young talent to your academy's and never develop their true potential and they never get near the first team starting 11................. that normally goes down well with their blinkered sectarian bile. Listening to this shite for 6 decades really does dae ma heid in..

We are the famous Bully Wee

and we paid all our debt back not like some fecking charlatans that screwed all the wee creditors to  keep the big hoose open......my erse.....🤫

3 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

More of a Glasgow/ West coast thing.

I had it in a pub in Montrose although admittedly the gentleman in question did have a west coast accent. When I told him I support Montrose (who play in blue) he insisted that Rangers must be my big team because I was wearing a blue jumper. 

I’ve never been asked the ‘aye but who do you really support’ question. What invariably happens is when down in England, or abroad on holiday, and especially on cruise ships where there are a fair few crew members from the Balkans etc, it usually goes down the road of them automatically assuming you support an ugly…. Indeed, it went exactly like this in 2022 with a waiter from Montenegro. Fair play to the guy, made me laugh.

’Where are you from?’

’Scotland’

’Ahhh, so are you Celtic or Rangers?’

’Neither of them, I supp… (never got the line out)

’No, don’t tell me, I know some Scottish football, let me guess… Hearts’

’Nope’

’Hibs’

’Nope’

’Aberdeen’

’Nope’

’Partick Thistle!’

’Partick Thistle? Where did you get that one from?’

’Ah, I see their crazy yellow mascot thing on TV once!’

’OK you have one more guess’

’Ayr United!?’

’Ayr United! You know Ayr United?’

’Yes, on another cruise I served a Scottish couple from Ayr’

’I support St Mirren’

’St Mirren? I hear the name, I think. I do not know, but now I add them to the teams I know!’

’Good stuff. Who do you support?’

’Partizan!’

(Me, pleasing him with my knowledge now…)

’They’re from Belgrade, Serbia. Don’t you support a Montenegran team?’

(He leans in to avoid a boss maybe hearing him..)

’No. Teams in Montenegro are shit. Sorry, my language!’

I missed a trick though. When I asked him who he supported and he said ‘Partizan’, I should have instantly replied ‘aye, but who do you really support’.

Edited by pozbaird

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve never been asked the ‘aye but who do you really support’ question. What invariably happens is when down in England, or abroad on holiday, and especially on cruise ships where there are a fair few crew members from the Balkans etc, it usually goes down the road of them automatically assuming you support an ugly…. Indeed, it went exactly like this in 2022 with a waiter from Montenegro. Fair play to the guy, made me laugh.

’Where are you from?’

’Scotland’

’Ahhh, so are you Celtic or Rangers?’

’Neither of them, I supp… (never got the line out)

’No, don’t tell me, I know some Scottish football, let me guess… Hearts’

’Nope’

’Hibs’

’Nope’

’Aberdeen’

’Nope’

’Partick Thistle!’

’Partick Thistle? Where did you get that one from?’

’Ah, I see their crazy yellow mascot thing on TV once!’

’OK you have one more guess’

’Ayr United!?’

’Ayr United! You know Ayr United?’

’Yes, on another cruise I served a Scottish couple from Ayr’

’I support St Mirren’

’St Mirren? I hear the name, I think. I do not know, but now I add them to the teams I know!’

’Good stuff. Who do you support?’

’Partizan!’

(Me, pleasing him with my knowledge now…)

’They’re from Belgrade, Serbia. Don’t you support a Montenegran team?’

(He leans in to avoid a boss maybe hearing him..)

’No. Teams in Montenegro are shit. Sorry, my language!’

I missed a trick though. When I asked him who he supported and he said ‘Partizan’, I should have instantly replied ‘aye, but who do you really support’.

I got the “Are you Rangers or Celtic?” question from a couple of Australian boys over in Germany while I was there for the Euros. You can forgive guys from outwith Scotland or the UK asking that, though. 

When I told him Clyde and we were in the 4th tier he looked shocked. I don’t think many fans go to A League games over there never mind lower league games.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

I had it in a pub in Montrose although admittedly the gentleman in question did have a west coast accent. When I told him I support Montrose (who play in blue) he insisted that Rangers must be my big team because I was wearing a blue jumper. 

Haha thats mad, hopefully he'd had a few

4 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

A quick question, which may just be Glasgow-centric (it may not)

Has anyone ever been asked who they support and upon giving the answer (in my case Clyde) been met with the retort, "aye but who do you really support?" (meaning Celtic or Rangers.)

This is a real bug bear of mine, it's as if the whole of Scottish football is just the Old-Firm and no one else matters, with Old Firm fans not having the concept that you don't have to support one the so called "Big Two."

It used to be funny on Old Firm Day in my local, with Celtic supporters at one side of the pub, Rangers fans at the other and the neutrals (Clyde, Queens Park, Thistle, Hamilton etc etc) standing in the middle at the bar.

Just a thought!!!

every non old firm fan in scotland has had this id have thought.tedious in the extreme

I've always considered the question irrelevant as OF fans have already divided the rest of us into closet followers on the basis of which team we "pretend" to support and don't accept the two cheeks argument.

Aye, happened all the time growing up in Troon/Ayr. It's total old firm territory, blue side in particular. Goes hand in hand with "what school did you go to".

Going to school in Ayr it was considered weird to support Ayr United. The assumption for most people that I interacted with was that I followed Celtic, as most (not all) of my pals did.

"Aye but you must like one of them?"

But aye, its largely irrelevant as OF fans have already decided which side they think you support, regardless of how completely uninterested you are in them.

They live in a bubble.

Was down in Liverpool watching football few years back and guy down there asks if im rangers or celtic a felt like saying there is other teams in scotland apart from the ugly sisters in Glasgow 

Get this all the time, particularly when travelling down south. As soon as they hear the accent, some people are straight in with 'Rangers or Celtic?'. When I say 'Stirling Albion', after the few seconds of total confusion, that's when the inevitable tag line comes in of 'but who's your real team?'

To which I answer 'Stirling Albion'. Then usually just walk away. 

I was in Majorca last week. Got talking to a couple of Glasgow fellas while watching the Euros final. 

"Who do you support then?"

"Edinburgh City" 

<Laughter>

"C'mon, who do you REALLY support?" 

<cue 5 minutes of explanation> 

On another point, what is it about Rangers and Celtic fans that feel compelled to wear their tops on the plane to and from Spain, on a big night out etc? Do these guys never have a day off ?