Southport stabbings

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Both these answers capture my contradictory views here.

I worry that these guys are ramping things up, yet at the same time I feel that what the racist  morons are doing needs challenged.

I think you're both right and both wrong.

I'm thinking of where I'd stand if that kind of unrest came here.

Don't report on it, don't acknowledge them and they might go away. Toddlers like these protestors thrive on attention imo.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Don't report on it, don't acknowledge them and they might go away. Toddlers like these protestors thrive on attention imo.

And that's part of the problem. The platform that the media has given to the likes of Farage over the years has helped legitimise their 'cause'.

10 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

20 years ago maybe.  It's all over social media now though.

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Call their bluff. Send in the army. 

That will fry their brains. Will they want to have a go against their heroes? 

More likely that the average squaddie sees the "protesters" as their heroes.

Edited by btb

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Both these answers capture my contradictory views here.

I worry that these guys are ramping things up, yet at the same time I feel that what the racist  morons are doing needs challenged.

I think you're both right and both wrong.

I'm thinking of where I'd stand if that kind of unrest came here.

These things, in the age of social media, tend to escalate in a quick and organised way. I think it’s unlikely to happen in Dumfries.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

More likely that the average squaddie sees the "protesters" as thear heroes.

It’s a worrying thought that if riots spread and cannot be contained then the use of the army is one of the few options available to the government.

I think it would have to get significantly worse, but then again it’s not beyond belief that it could get significantly worse particularly if these thugs feel they have the upper hand.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a worrying thought that if riots spread and cannot be contained then the use of the army is one of the few options available to the government.

I think it would have to get significantly worse, but then again it’s not beyond belief that it could get significantly worse particularly if these thugs feel they have the upper hand.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Devils Advocate here, but hasn’t the Army been pruned to the bone as the police have?

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Devils Advocate here, but hasn’t the Army been pruned to the bone as the police have?

Probably so you devil, but they’ve probably still got the odd tank and a couple of grenades.

If all else fails it might finally be time to get something out of the billions we’ve spent on Trident.

1 minute ago, Albertlegend said:

Are these clowns not the same mob that were hero worshipping the police when they jumped on the guys head in Manchester airport? 

this week they are burning police cars!!! 

C’mon, are you really expecting rational thought?

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just be honest…you say fat fingers but leave it. Just tell me which you’re objecting to is all I asked.

And another red dot in response to asking again. It's amusing that Saint Sammy has such thin skin, how long till this gets dotted by him?

And, of course the Army is full of militant racists, just as the U.S. Army has had a similar problem for a couple of decades. You end up having to lower entry conditions to meet recruitment goals, and that gives you the kind of low information recruits that are ripe for what is effectively EDL radicalization.

They don't need to send the army in tbh, most of the videos you see of "mobs" attacking random black men sees them failing to land a punch then running away until their numbers are overwhelming.

This falls apart if/when they take it too far and kill someone, and give freedom to the communities they're attacking to fight back the same way. Without overplaying it, it's mostly a bunch of middle aged men acting out their pub talk fantasies and at some point they're going to run into a group involved in organised crime and find out what "f**k around and find out" means when there's a machete sticking out their skull while they cry for the police stations they've just burnt down to help.

They shouldn't be bringing their kids into this yet many are.