Hampden Hobos v Motherwell - 10/08/24

Sandwiched in-between European legs for the hosts, and as their first 'home' match at Hampden, I was hoping both these factors might act as a wee bit of a leveller for the mighty 'Well going into this one. Unfortunately, our injury list makes for astonishing reading considering the season is just one week old, and we really are down to the bare bones.

If Miller is out, as suspected along with the longterm absentees, we have zero creativity available in midfield to link with our misfiring forwards, so will pose no real threat in attack. A fairly fruitless return against lower league opposition in the cup group games followed by an opening day 0-0 vs County gives little cause for optimism in the scoring stakes.

At the back we have looked slightly more assured, but injuries here will force a reshuffle too, so hopefully McGinn and/or Balmer now up to speed to step in. A step up in opposition and tough task too for young Wilson, should he start at LWB. It will be a long 90 minutes, that's for sure and can only see a (hopefully narrow) defeat on the cards. 2-0 home win.

Sevco rugby score vs 0 Motherwell

Watching their equaliser last night, on a huge pitch at Hampden, we're going to get slaughtered. We'd be doing well to keep it tight if everyone was fit.

Rangers fans were well in front when it came to the wet the pants / our team is shite early season stakes.

After last nights impressive 1-1 draw away to Dynamo Kiev I did think it was a tad premature. They still have by far the 2nd best squad in the division as well they should given the resources. 

No the Well fans myself included are firmly in the wet the pants category. One of the weakest squads in the league and already have 8 injuries from circa 22 outfield players. Some are a surprise some less so as our main aim seems to be signing previously injured players to only go and get themselves injured again. To the surprise of no one. 

I genuinely thought before last weekend that we could sneak something this Saturday. That thought is firmly dispelled and I would take a narrow loss now and move on. I fear it might well be worse than that 😫

Making no attempt to go to or watch this game - £33 and the blue hordes is off putting.

I would be more than happy for two banks of 5 to see out the first 80 minutes then throw someone on just in case something comes off.

Lets get through this one.

Over 1/3 of the first team squad out injured before the 2nd game of the season. Rangers. Hampden. 33 quid.

No ta. See you at the Killie cup game if we've enough players left to play it.

Our lack of cutting edge is the main issue we have and when you look at our front 3 from last night you don’t really see that changing much.

Although, I did feel that Jefte coming on in that more advanced position looked quite promising so it may be he fills the hole Cortes has left.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

If we can’t field a team can we borrow a couple of Rangers subbies, we used to do that when I was a boy.

Deal. You can have Liam Kelly and Scott Wright.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Deal. You can have Liam Kelly and Scott Wright.

There was a point when Kelly’s distribution was good, we could get him playing shroo balls from a deep midfield position

I wouldn't be too confident at the best of times with a full compliment of players to select from but it's actually depressing that we have 7 out and potentially Miller as well and we're only heading into the second league game. I would imagine Kettlewell will revert to the one up top with McGinn coming in for Blaney. 

I just hope McCausland doesn't go flying into any dangerous challenges in this game as we cannot afford anymore injuries.

I have chosen Bannockburn AFC v Glasgow University for my football fix today, cost £0.

Given that I live in the village and attended the University I will be as conflicted as I was for the home v away fans match at the end of last season.

I will listen to the goings on at Hampden on the radio - bbc commentary, open all mics or pseudo commentary on Clyde SSB - the choices keep coming.