Is Jim Spence okay?

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

The 15 year old wasn't alone though.  Absolutely nothing about this involves the state.  There is no welfare concern and no abandonment.

Indeed. Which is why nothing has happened to Mrs Allsop, no charge, no prison, no criminal record.  Merely social services following up on a complaint made by a member of the public followed by a bunch of gammons wailing about state intervention as opposed to wailing about state non intervention when things go wrong.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are there rules against 15 year olds going interrailing with 16 year olds? I thought that was left to the judgement of parents. 

Going by the young yins' definition of  'a good railing' nowadays, I at first thought interrailing might be a term for some frenetic mixed race shagging, in which case 15 is most definitely too young.

Since it's simply going a hurl on the trains and he was accompanied by a 16 year old, although maybe a little risky due the naivety of youth, it would be a lot less problematic from a legal/responsibility point of view.

7 minutes ago, fasda2 said:

Indeed. Which is why nothing has happened to Mrs Allsop, no charge, no prison, no criminal record.  Merely social services following up on a complaint made by a member of the public followed by a bunch of gammons wailing about state intervention as opposed to wailing about state non intervention when things go wrong.

And yet social services keep a file opened in case there are further reports.  It is a gross invasion of privacy based on nothing but a dogooder interfering.

There isn't even a legal age that requires a minor to be accompanied.

Edited by strichener

22 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He once stole a mini sausage roll off my plate at a funeral wake in the Botanic Gardens. The wee fanny.

He was at my cousin's funeral in 2015 in Dundee.  I wasn't sitting near enough to him at the wake to comment on his sausage roll etiquette though.

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Does Jim Spence just spend his free time gatecrashing funerals and stealing food? 

When he's not wishing for a police state, yes.

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

And yet social services keep a file opened in case there are further reports.  It is a gross invasion of privacy based on nothing but a dogooder interfering.

There isn't even a legal age that requires a minor to be accompanied.

The law in the UK doesn't specify an age at which a child can be left alone, but it is illegal to leave a child alone if it puts them at risk. Parents and carers are responsible for deciding when their child is ready to be left alone, considering their maturity level and whether they can look after themselves in an emergency. The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) recommends that: 

* Children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long time 

* Children under 16 should not be left alone overnight 

* Babies, toddlers, and very young children should never be left alone 

Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’.

Clearly there is duty for social work to investigate - saying they shouldn't be involved is irresponsible pish of the first degree.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The law in the UK doesn't specify an age at which a child can be left alone, but it is illegal to leave a child alone if it puts them at risk. Parents and carers are responsible for deciding when their child is ready to be left alone, considering their maturity level and whether they can look after themselves in an emergency. The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) recommends that: 

* Children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long time 

* Children under 16 should not be left alone overnight 

* Babies, toddlers, and very young children should never be left alone 

Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’.

Clearly there is duty for social work to investigate - saying they shouldn't be involved is irresponsible pish of the first degree.

Well googled, however on what basis should social services be involved? 

This should have been as simple as a call asking the parent and then the report being filed directly in the bin.

If I found myself in a similar situation then I would be furious that decisions that I make as a responsible parent are second guessed by a completely random member of the public.

I also never said it shouldn't have been investigated.  However once it was established that there was nothing to the report, there can be no justification for maintaining a file.  The states involvement here is a gross overreach.

Edited by strichener

If this was a single mother in a council flat who had gone for a fortnight in Turkey and left her 15 yr child at home to fend for themselves I doubt there’d be the same number of people queuing up to defend her. 

I'm sure this happens all the time with no issues, in this case the mother was daft enough to brag about it on twitter, which is bound to create a culture wars frenzy whatever the subject. 

13 minutes ago, strichener said:

Well googled, however on what basis should social services be involved? 

This should have been as simple as a call asking the parent and then the report being filed directly in the bin.

If I found myself in a similar situation then I would be furious that decisions that I make as a responsible parent are second guessed by a completely random member of the public.

I also never said it shouldn't have been investigated.  However once it was established that there was nothing to the report, there can be no justification for maintaining a file.  The states involvement here is a gross overreach.

You make this sound like something new - child protection recording procedures are pretty well-established and have been for the past 30 years - certainly as long as I've been teaching.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, strichener said:

The 15 year old wasn't alone though.  Absolutely nothing about this involves the state.  There is no welfare concern and no abandonment.

Bunch of idiots on here not understanding that the plain meaning of this post was that in fact the state did have a role to play initially but the maintaining of open files is the primary objection.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Bunch of idiots on here not understanding that the plain meaning of this post was that in fact the state did have a role to play initially but the maintaining of open files is the primary objection.

Didn’t realise there was so many clueless folks on here. State doesn’t have a role in deciding if a 15 year old is mature enough to go on hols.  No thanks.

Slightly off topic but...

About 8 years ago a woman came into my office to get help from welfare rights.

A week later she came back in to ask to see the welfare rights worker because social work had turned up at her house on a child protection report. She had put 2+2 together and figured out the welfare worker had reported her. 

She did say that the social worker was almost apologeticfor being there and found nothing to concern her. 

The welfare rights worker refused to see her, I tried calling her boss and again told they would not tell me who reported her.  I ended up with a complaint against me.

In the end, I ended up at a meeting with welfare rights supported by my boss who had been told by her boss to "wipe the floor with them" due to how she and I had been treated.

It turned out that in her initial conversation with the welfare rights worker she had mentioned she had a cat while telling them about her 16yr old son sometimes been blue lighted to hospital because of his asthma.

It was recorded by the welfare rights worker and somebody above her reported it to social work.  Then they had all closed ranks and shut up as to who and why had reported her.

In the end I got an explanation what had happened and got an apology for welfare rights worker and her boss but the woman was not to know.

I did tell a friend to tell the woman what had "hypothetically" happed (why social work had be called etc) as she was my friend and to put her mind at rest, but I could have lost my job for it.

I felt so guilty and avoided seeing her for 5 years (she never blamed me) as i had introduced her to welfare rights and told her to speak to the in confidence as it would help them help her.

But it just to show that sometimes social workers can get a shiity end of the stick.

I used to travel from Germany to the UK on my lonesome at 13/14 for school.

No problem with Allsopp judging what her own kid is capable of and likewise no complaint at social services investigating a complaint.

Why folk are getting worked up on either side that don't know them is weird. But a symptom of the times.

Edited by ArabFC

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

"Mother always knows best"

Do mothers suddenly get some sort of brain chip upon giving birth that makes them super intelligent? An alarming number of maws are utter f**king morons, and it's not because they're a maw, it's they're a f**king moron who got spunked in.

Being a mother or not is not a sign of intelligence.

Mrs Khaki has this theory that women giving birth is like cell division, and they lose part of their innate IQ to the newborn. She cites Mumsnet as evidence of this.

Hard to argue with tbh.