Ingrained in your head.

This has just happened to me again today which has prompted the thread. What things are absolutely ingrained in your head and will be until you die?

At least once every few days, normally before going to the gym or when thinking about anything health related I can still see and hear the mid-90s Scottish health advert and Gavin Hastings going “walking a mile is the same as running a mile”.

Another weird one from me is walking up a certain block of stairs at Rugby Park. In the last game of the 96/97 season we played Aberdeen at home. I was 11 and had been to plenty of games by this stage. For whatever reason as I went up the stairs for this game I was thinking that this was the last home game of the season and a bit of a sad feeling. Since I’ve been conscious of this memory it now triggers every single time I go up the same stairs and that same feeling kicks in a bit and I almost have to quickly remind myself it’s not the last game of the season (unless it is).

The old advert (1970s?) about train travel where a kid features, and when asked where they travelled to, answered ‘Glasgow’, then after being asked if they had anything to eat on the train, replied ‘a wee biscuit’. To this day, if Mrs P says ‘I’m sticking the kettle on, you want anything with your tea?’ I’ll reply ‘a wee biscuit’.

Please tell me someone else remembers this advert!

The password to the second mission on desert strike on the atari lynx.

back when passwords used to have to be inputted to continue; my dad loved playing it too, especially the second mission, so he'd often end up asking me to get him the password for it and i ended up having to run and grab the paper with all the scribbled codes on it to give him. i think i had to repeat it often enough (or realised that if I could commit it to memory I wouldn't have to spend time hunting for the password) that eventually i could rattle it off by heart

Spoiler

it's HPAQMIGLEDUG if any of you happen to have a lynx and copy of desert strike floating about and want to test it out

53 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

The password to the second mission on desert strike on the atari lynx.

back when passwords used to have to be inputted to continue; my dad loved playing it too, especially the second mission, so he'd often end up asking me to get him the password for it and i ended up having to run and grab the paper with all the scribbled codes on it to give him. i think i had to repeat it often enough (or realised that if I could commit it to memory I wouldn't have to spend time hunting for the password) that eventually i could rattle it off by heart

Reveal hidden contents

it's HPAQMIGLEDUG if any of you happen to have a lynx and copy of desert strike floating about and want to test it out

I'm a bit like this with codes and stuff. I used to help the wife with her accounting and can still reel off her 16 digit alphanumeric HMRC login even 5 years or more after last using it.

At work I visit various areas daily, the doors and gates to which are all keypad entry and the combinations are all committed to memory. Likewise, I also know my full bank card number and security codes off by heart, as well as the mobile numbers of several friends and family members (a useless trait considering they're all stored in the phone anyway). I am also capable, however, of walking from the kitchen to the living room and being unable to recall whether or not I actually switched the kettle on..

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The old advert (1970s?) about train travel where a kid features, and when asked where they travelled to, answered ‘Glasgow’, then after being asked if they had anything to eat on the train, replied ‘a wee biscuit’. To this day, if Mrs P says ‘I’m sticking the kettle on, you want anything with your tea?’ I’ll reply ‘a wee biscuit’.

Please tell me someone else remembers this advert!

Never heard of the advert but this is the sort of stuff I mean.

This isn’t quite as engrained with me but I’m sure others will feel the same, normally when offered/offering a wee cup of tea inside my head often goes straight to Mrs Doyle’s voice.

29 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I'm a bit like this with codes and stuff. I used to help the wife with her accounting and can still reel off her 16 digit alphanumeric HMRC login even 5 years or more after last using it.

At work I visit various areas daily, the doors and gates to which are all keypad entry and the combinations are all committed to memory. Likewise, I also know my full bank card number and security codes off by heart, as well as the mobile numbers of several friends and family members (a useless trait considering they're all stored in the phone anyway). I am also capable, however, of walking from the kitchen to the living room and being unable to recall whether or not I actually switched the kettle on..

dunno if you're the same but sometimes its weird too, like I don't deliberately commit something to memory but *eventually* it just clicks.

Won't post either on here obviously, harr harr, but my mobile number and national insurance number are burned into my memory now and I don't think I ever sat and memorised either, it blows my mind sometimes that folk don't know their NI number off by heart in particular. Mobile numbers maybe can change or it's that whole thing that you never really need to call yourself unless you've misplaced your phone and are hunting for it (handy to know off by heart but arguably not essential, especially as you can just look at your phone contacts to find out your own number if you need to) but your NI number never changes.

never mind the kettle, I mind I once put a jar of coffee in the fridge where the milk goes and, ah, found the milk in the cupboard where the coffee jar should have been. Think my mind was elsewhere, mercifully haven't done it since or I'd be getting myself tested for dementia/alzheimers

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Sticking to the old adverts theme, another one just came to mind that between us, me & Mrs P still use… ‘I can’t take my exams blocked up like this’… ‘Course’ you can Malcolm’.

The ‘course you can Malcolm’ is embedded in our brains, and from time to time, if one of us claims we can’t or usually won’t do something - like weed the garden as promised…. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

dunno if you're the same but sometimes its weird too, like I don't deliberately commit something to memory but *eventually* it just clicks.

Won't post either on here obviously, harr harr, but my mobile number and national insurance number are burned into my memory now, blows my mind sometimes that folk don't know their NI number off by heart in particular. Mobile numbers maybe can change or it's that whole thing that you never really need to call yourself unless you've misplaced your phone and are hunting for it (handy to know off by heart but arguably not essential, especially as you can just look at your phone contacts to find out your own number if you need to) but your NI number never changes.

never mind the kettle, I mind I once put a jar of coffee in the fridge where the milk goes and, ah, found the milk in the cupboard where the coffee jar should have been. Think my mind was elsewhere, mercifully haven't done it since or I'd be getting myself tested for dementia/alzheimers

Aye, never thought of NI number but that's another I can recite freely. Even, weirdly, the landline numbers for my old house and that of my long deceased gran neither of which I've had cause to need for around 15 years, and the reg no's of most of the cars I've owned over the past 35 years. So much useless information.  The brain is a weird old thing.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Sticking to the old adverts theme, another one just came to mind that between us, me & Mrs P still use… ‘I can’t take my exams blocked up like this’… ‘Course’ you can Malcolm’.

The ‘course you can Malcolm’ is embedded in our brains, and from time to time, if one of us claims we can’t or usually won’t do sonething - like weed the garden as promised…. 😜

That was one of my dad's oft used phrases.

Stuck with me now.

24 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Aye, never thought of NI number but that's another I can recite freely. Even, weirdly, the landline numbers for my old house and that of my long deceased gran neither of which I've had cause to need for around 15 years, and the reg no's of most of the cars I've owned over the past 35 years. So much useless information.  The brain is a weird old thing.

It sure is a weird thing. I have a terrible problem remembering people’s names, and as an example, always think about the fact I was a member at Lochwinnoch Golf Club for 36 years. There was a guy there for longer than that, who for the life of me, I could never remember if he was Andy or Sandy. Absolutely mental, would be drawn to play in competitions with him from time to time, and over a 35 plus year span, needed someone else to address him as either Andy or Sandy… then I wouldn’t see him for yonks, and forget all over again.

However, I can still remember two vivid dreams I had in childhood, and can sit and recall them to this day in crystal clear, UHD surround sound detail from start to finish.

Edited by pozbaird

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The ‘course you can Malcolm’ is embedded in our brains, and from time to time, if one of us claims we can’t or usually won’t do something - like weed the garden as promised…. 😜

You forgot the most important part of Malcolm's complaint... "Ohhhhh Bum, I can't take my exams like this......"  😎