Pubs of your misspent youth

image.jpeg.c0eaffe166205d3a409cf3f4f2dcad05.jpeg

First pub I was served in, 16 at the time, now sadly departed. Above photo taken when the place was being used to film Trainspotting 2. Real name was The Douglas Hotel, though known to locals as Burke’s. My high school was directly across the road. The barmaid was a cleaner in the school. I’d spend Friday/Saturday night with her giving me and my pals abuse for being schoolies, then Monday morning she’d be giving us dogs abuse for the state we were in at the weekend.

Gilmerton Miners Welfare - got a weekend job as a pot collector when I was just turned 17 and would sit afterhours with the bar stewards (and they were !) the Anderson brothers and had a couple of pints. They were tied to Drybrough's Brewery at the time iirc. Saw a couple of decent acts in there too, Faith Brown and Ken Goodwin spring to mind.

gilly.png.3e49418def620af2f8eb8213d79ad2e4.png

The Robin's Nest was the favoured haunt around '77-'78. The internal layout was very different from today, there was a pool table and a skittle alley but we used to sit quietly in the wee lounge at the back where we could get halfs of Tuborg - the couple who ran the place knew we were underage and would only sell us half pints !

Robins-Nest-Edinburgh-14-900x530.jpg.eed9301def36499846dfd5603c1a0dae.jpg

43 minutes ago, Ross. said:

First pub I was served in, 16 at the time, now sadly departed. Above photo taken when the place was being used to film Trainspotting 2. Real name was The Douglas Hotel, though known to locals as Burke’s. My high school was directly across the road. The barmaid was a cleaner in the school. I’d spend Friday/Saturday night with her giving me and my pals abuse for being schoolies, then Monday morning she’d be giving us dogs abuse for the state we were in at the weekend.

I've seen the big red Tennent's logo from afar but never seemed to be open. Didn't know it was used in T2.

The only place I really went underage was the Dry Dock in Yoker. There was a real dearth of choice with it being a 'dry' area. Now called The Gulf of Corryvrechan.

Screenshot2024-10-03161318.png.16489e4f53d6bac156ba6a2580154eb4.png

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

The below was the first pub I went to semi-regularly in my youth - It was a typical old man's boozer and we progressed to fancier place doon toon sooner rather than later.  Still there.

Photo

Went there ahead of a Dundee North End game at the end of last season.

Slightly RAF, but in a good way.

What I’m taking as an overall ‘vibe’ from this thread, is that by jezzuz’, Scotland was/is full of drinking establishments that aren’t likely to threaten Sydney Opera House or the Taj Mahal for architectural magnificence. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

What I’m taking as an overall ‘vibe’ from this thread, is that by jezzuz’, Scotland was/is full of drinking establishments that aren’t likely to threaten Sydney Opera House or the Taj Mahal for architectural magnificence. 😎

well, you've got the Cafe Royal in Edinburgh:

caferoyal.jpg.4e6c3715f25bb533ac400230a9db2c17.jpg

but that was a CCS haunt when I were a lad. 

Pints would have been taken in the Golden Gates after Meadowbank Thistle games but that's an office now. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

well, you've got the Cafe Royal in Edinburgh:

caferoyal.jpg.4e6c3715f25bb533ac400230a9db2c17.jpg

but that was a CCS haunt when I were a lad. 

Pints would have been taken in the Golden Gates after Meadowbank Thistle games but that's an office now. 

The Golden Gates had a half decent jukebox

Peep Peeps, the must of any Aberdeen harbour crawl, usually happen every Friday for me, payday, finishing the Training Centre (The old Hall Russells building) at 12.30. Starting at The Neptune, then on to St Clements, Cutters Warf, Peep Peeps, The Regent, then up Market Street to Wilsons, The Snuggery, the off to a club..

0_Peep-Peeps-Bar-Aberdeen.jpg.288b54fda36000105771a5de68dae8a6.jpg

Amadeus, Sunday nights were excellent, went to Hullabaloo first then got the free bus to Amadingdongs, walk home from the Beach to Bucksburn as all Taxi money was spent on Diamond White and Metz, arrive home at 5, to get up for the bus to work at 6..

0_Amadeus-jpeg.jpg.33994cec3e7226d1d4eb14963512dcd8.jpg

Berlins and Zuu, 30p Vodka, 50p Pints, 70p a bottle of Becks, I ended up naked multiple times in Berlins due to all the drinking games, won shit loads of free booze, with the drink of choice being a pint of Vodka and Irn Bru...

Garage_Club_001_smaller-1.thumb.jpg.a014110542536b264460c66dc2e8ec10.jpg

They were the best of times.

GBNF

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Peep Peeps, the must of any Aberdeen harbour crawl, usually happen every Friday for me, payday, finishing the Training Centre (The old Hall Russells building) at 12.30. Starting at The Neptune, then on to St Clements, Cutters Warf, Peep Peeps, The Regent, then up Market Street to Wilsons, The Snuggery, the off to a club..

Amadeus, Sunday nights were excellent, went to Hullabaloo first then got the free bus to Amadingdongs, walk home from the Beach to Bucksburn as all Taxi money was spent on Diamond White and Metz, arrive home at 5, to get up for the bus to work at 6..

Berlins and Zuu, 30p Vodka, 50p Pints, 70p a bottle of Becks, I ended up naked multiple times in Berlins due to all the drinking games, won shit loads of free booze, with the drink of choice being a pint of Vodka and Irn Bru...

GBNF

Jealous as f**k. Always wanted to go to Peep Peeps.

The Watering Hole on the New Row in Dunfermline, probably started in there at 16, used to play roller hockey for a team at Carnegie Leisure Centre, would have under 17s training in the afternoon, go for a pint or two after, then train with the seniors (including a young @philpy ) in the evening.

Also used to go through and drink with the Kirkcaldy boys from the team at Smithy's Tavern on Mitchell Street. Can't find a Google maps image, seems to be an offy now, but I remember being in there for a Sunday session once and hearing the singing/shouting from Marvin Andrew's Zion church across the street.  

WateringHole.PNG

23 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

GBNF

My liver hurts just reading that.

I did most of my youthful boozing in The Star in Montrose.

star-hotel-montrose-Copy.jpeg.3fb6b461daf9fae968681f76ed1fe4c1.jpeg

It's still going but I've not been in for years.

Back in the '90s it was something else. Spread over several rooms on two floors. There was always something going on.

Live punk music on Thursday nights. Rave type events on Fridays and Saturdays. Strippers on Sundays.

Plenty of colourful characters propping up the bar. I've never known another pub like it.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

11 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I did most of my youthful boozing in The Star in Montrose.

star-hotel-montrose-Copy.jpeg.3fb6b461daf9fae968681f76ed1fe4c1.jpeg

It's still going but I've not been in for years.

Back in the '90s it was something else. Spread over several rooms on two floors. There was always something going on.

Live punk music on Thursday nights. Rave type events on Fridays and Saturdays. Strippers on Sundays.

Plenty of colourful characters propping up the bar. I've never known another pub like it.

Just missing Han Solo shooting Greedo.