Pubs of your misspent youth

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My other two locals if we couldn’t be arsed venturing the 10 minutes down the town.

The salubrious Bonnie Earl (handily attached to a chipper where my old boy worked):

IMG_1393.thumb.jpeg.22a0b11ed70f0188b3b1c52af6eb1f70.jpeg

For a while, the upstairs was actually an art gallery. Don’t know who the camera c**t is bottom right.

Sadly alky Marion left a fryer on one night and the chipper went on fire and f**ked the pub. It’s been resurrected as a vape cafe or something.

The other one was the Golden Pheasant. 
image.thumb.png.dc3efda258878ea9e8f654e06fc67f65.png

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/4sajLB3GdJEcYtQV/?mibextid=WC7FNe

no further comment.

I mind the baith of them, 50 years since I drank in either! :o

Fit aboot the Rising Sun?

49 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Growing up in Kilmacolm, which was a "Dry" Area we had to go to Bridge of Weir if we wanted a pint.

The Gryffe Inn was the pub of choice back in the day, and I believe that it is still going strong.

image.png.f4418acf4d1eb6e5b3b5a42e581d3680.png

Ooft. Long time since I was last in there. Used to more regularly frequent the Railway Tavern back in the early 90s. Regularly got a spare ticket for the Rangers games and a seat on the bus. Think the Railway is now an Italian restaurant. Progress? Pah! 

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I mind the baith of them, 50 years since I drank in either! :o

Fit aboot the Rising Sun?

I knew this would draw you in!

Sadly the Rising is also a vape bar.  Same company that took over the Bonnie Earl.

For me (and my mate Paul), the Rising was always a bit "out of bounds" as his old boy drank there.

ETA

Just remembered they used to have a pot bellied big in the pub at one point. 

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

I used to go in here at lunchtimes in the late 80s/early 90s with my tradesman, who was a massive alky and currant bun.

It was called the Earl of Lennox then and is now The Hoops bar.

My tradesman would get a curer of whisky and Guiness and we'd play pool. I always got a soda water and lime as I was the driver (and grafter). He'd do some work in the afternoon  though as his shakes had worn off after a visit here.soundcheck1.jpg.93b0591eed17ec56364e9922adea3a6b.jpg

19 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Peep Peeps, the must of any Aberdeen harbour crawl, usually happen every Friday for me, payday, finishing the Training Centre (The old Hall Russells building) at 12.30. Starting at The Neptune, then on to St Clements, Cutters Warf, Peep Peeps, The Regent, then up Market Street to Wilsons, The Snuggery, the off to a club..

0_Peep-Peeps-Bar-Aberdeen.jpg.288b54fda36000105771a5de68dae8a6.jpg

Amadeus, Sunday nights were excellent, went to Hullabaloo first then got the free bus to Amadingdongs, walk home from the Beach to Bucksburn as all Taxi money was spent on Diamond White and Metz, arrive home at 5, to get up for the bus to work at 6..

0_Amadeus-jpeg.jpg.33994cec3e7226d1d4eb14963512dcd8.jpg

Berlins and Zuu, 30p Vodka, 50p Pints, 70p a bottle of Becks, I ended up naked multiple times in Berlins due to all the drinking games, won shit loads of free booze, with the drink of choice being a pint of Vodka and Irn Bru...

Garage_Club_001_smaller-1.thumb.jpg.a014110542536b264460c66dc2e8ec10.jpg

They were the best of times.

GBNF

I moved down to Aberdeen from Shetland to study in 2004, was a real eye opener. First time was ever in that area went to a bar called I think the St Andrews... was four in the afternoon and I mind some guy getting homemade stitches at the bar, the barmaid having a black eye, and Black Velvet playing on the speakers. Great times!

Kirkgate Bar was my go to though. Always try and pop in when back in Aberdeen.

18 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

I moved down to Aberdeen from Shetland to study in 2004, was a real eye opener. First time was ever in that area went to a bar called I think the St Andrews... was four in the afternoon and I mind some guy getting homemade stitches at the bar, the barmaid having a black eye, and Black Velvet playing on the speakers. Great times!

Kirkgate Bar was my go to though. Always try and pop in when back in Aberdeen.

I never went into the KGB much- it was rumoured to be for medical students and they were mostly tossers (except Hippy Matthew who probably ended up in some Breaking Bad scenario)

Latterly in Elgin, the boy that owned the Newmarket Bar and Jailhouse mentioned above (the Jailhouse was, as one would expect, a prison themed nightclub, but it mysteriously went on fire) left and opened High Spirits, a pub in a church.   Great place for a lock in. 

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Think the Railway is now an Italian restaurant. Progress? Pah! 

It is, we took my Mother there for her 70th a few years back, food was OK.

Was the Railway not called Wylies by those in the know?

The Parkway and Donview are 2 of the locals that have disappeared in the last few years although the Parkway is supposed to be re-opening. Donview is now a Chinese. 

Played pool in the Neptune once, was an experience. 

Henry J Beans and the Balmoral/Bells are a couple of town places that are no-more. Also miss 2 for 1 in Charlie's and 69p nips in Cul De Sac on the opposite corner. 

32 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The Parkway and Donview are 2 of the locals that have disappeared in the last few years although the Parkway is supposed to be re-opening. Donview is now a Chinese. 

Played pool in the Neptune once, was an experience. 

Henry J Beans and the Balmoral/Bells are a couple of town places that are no-more. Also miss 2 for 1 in Charlie's and 69p nips in Cul De Sac on the opposite corner. 

The Donview was excellent for a chilled Saturday afternoon pint. Charlie's and Cul De Sac, more precious memories. I lost my (Black, not Tartan) Burberry jacket in O'Donoghues on a Christmas night out when it was located here...

odonoghues-irish-pub-aberdeen-city-scotland-uk-EKD4RN.thumb.jpg.2d723b1b677dcee0625911588d2a697a.jpg

Aberdeen in the late 90's early 2000's had a fantastic pub and club selection, even the Housing estate pubs were excellent. I think I have been in most of them. Living in Torry for many years, you could have a fantastic night out, without crossing the bridge.

The Double 2, The Golden Tee, Campbells/The 19th Hole, The White Cockade, The Rats Cellar/Victoria, The Grampian.

Great times.

16 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The Donview was excellent for a chilled Saturday afternoon pint. Charlie's and Cul De Sac, more precious memories. I lost my (Black, not Tartan) Burberry jacket in O'Donoghues on a Christmas night out when it was located here...

odonoghues-irish-pub-aberdeen-city-scotland-uk-EKD4RN.thumb.jpg.2d723b1b677dcee0625911588d2a697a.jpg

Aberdeen in the late 90's early 2000's had a fantastic pub and club selection, even the Housing estate pubs were excellent. I think I have been in most of them. Living in Torry for many years, you could have a fantastic night out, without crossing the bridge.

The Double 2, The Golden Tee, Campbells/The 19th Hole, The White Cockade, The Rats Cellar/Victoria, The Grampian.

Great times.

Donview was decent. O'Dons is still a thing. 

I play in the pool league and that's a great way for ticking off pubs. I'll potentially be in the Abbot in Kincorth for the first time this season. 

Golden Tee, White Cockade, Viccy and Grampian are all still on the go, played in all 4 in recent years. 

Aye you could have a decent BoD crawl between the Country Club, Mains, Buckie Farm (Toby), Parkway, Black Dog, Brig Inn and the Donview. There was also the legion plus the wee club on the Lochside estate. 

5 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Donview was decent. O'Dons is still a thing. 

I play in the pool league and that's a great way for ticking off pubs. I'll potentially be in the Abbot in Kincorth for the first time this season. 

Golden Tee, White Cockade, Viccy and Grampian are all still on the go, played in all 4 in recent years. 

Aye you could have a decent BoD crawl between the Country Club, Mains, Buckie Farm (Toby), Parkway, Black Dog, Brig Inn and the Donview. There was also the legion plus the wee club on the Lochside estate. 

Ken fit, it was the Black Dog I was thinking of, not the Donview. The Abbot is one I have never been to. Never spent much time in Kincorth. Golden Tee was closest to my house because I lived in the old Buchan flats in Balnagask Circle, got a new one when they tore the old ones down.

Yeah, I had a couple of mates that played in the pool league for the Ferryhill Tavern. 

I just dotted about all the pubs in the City because I knew a lot of folk through different ways. One of those well kent faces probably. Hung about a lot in Woodside, again, great for a pub crawl. White Horse, 612, Queens, The Crown, The Central, The Fountain. Probably missing 1 or 2 from that list. Was also known to frequent Murdos a fair bit.

This has sent me down a rabbit hole of memories and found this excellent write up about pubs in Aberdeen...

https://doriccolumns.wordpress.com/welcome/aberdeen-city/aberdeen-pubs/

Grew up in Milton of Campsie so frequented the Craigfoot Inn as well as the Kincaid House Hotel.

Craigfoot is now a Co-Op.

Kincaid which over the years became more & more the place I went to due to being much closer to my parents house, is also now closed, and due to be converted into flats.

Only place left to drink is the somewhat staunch bowling club.

IMG_8171.jpeg

IMG_8172.jpeg

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Ken fit, it was the Black Dog I was thinking of, not the Donview. The Abbot is one I have never been to. Never spent much time in Kincorth. Golden Tee was closest to my house because I lived in the old Buchan flats in Balnagask Circle, got a new one when they tore the old ones down.

Yeah, I had a couple of mates that played in the pool league for the Ferryhill Tavern. 

I just dotted about all the pubs in the City because I knew a lot of folk through different ways. One of those well kent faces probably. Hung about a lot in Woodside, again, great for a pub crawl. White Horse, 612, Queens, The Crown, The Central, The Fountain. Probably missing 1 or 2 from that list. Was also known to frequent Murdos a fair bit.

This has sent me down a rabbit hole of memories and found this excellent write up about pubs in Aberdeen...

https://doriccolumns.wordpress.com/welcome/aberdeen-city/aberdeen-pubs/

Black Dog has been my local for 20+ years and I've worked in the last 11. 

George St can give you a decent pub crawl as well. 

Murdos is a sister pub of the Black Dog and I was back and forth to ARI quite a bit in the last couple of years so have started to frequent it a wee bit more often.